“Watch Prices on Specials!!!”
Review of The Blue Goat - CLOSED

The Blue Goat
Cuisines: American, Bar, Brew Pub, Gastropub
Good for: Bar scene, Large groups, Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: The Blue Goat is a Euro-Gastropub, featuring euro comfort food, sourced locally, in a nose to tail concept. Chef Kevin LaCivita.Gastropub: A bar or restaurant that serves high quality food.Euro Comfort Food: The foods traditionally served in a European home setting. Moms meatloaf in the US.Nose to Tail: The tradition of utilizing all parts of the animal in cooking.Local: Defined by the USDA as a day's driving distance. Defined by the localvore movement as, 100 miles.We encourage our guests to order multiple plates and share them family style as they come out from the kitchen.
Richmond, Virginia, United States
“Watch Prices on Specials!!!”
Reviewed April 7, 2014

Recently the Blue Goat changed its menu to one that more main stream burgers, sandwiches, etc. With this change the prices rose overall; for example at lunch, a crab-cake sandwich on white bread served with a side of tatter totes for $15. The median salad or sandwich prices were in the area of $15. I didn't ask the price and mistakenly ordered a special, rock fish tacos with pickled onions and 2 small containers of sauces. The price for this plate was $24! Yes, it was a costly oversight to fail to inquire about the price. Tacos were soggy and rockfish a bit dry.

• Visited April 2014

Richmond, Virginia
“Probably better for lunch”
Reviewed March 31, 2014

My husband and I went to The Blue Goat for his birthday dinner on a week night. The service was great as our server was very attentive and polite, and explained the specials which all sounded good. We started off a little disappointed because they were out of the fried pickles appetizer which we were craving, so we got shrimp fritters which did not really taste like shrimp and had a lot of filler and spices so there were too flavors going on. My husband's scallops were good, but my flatbread was not too yummy and tasted like an odd specialty cheese. I know the pizza was made with mozzarella so I think the sausage on it made the whole thing taste a little funky. The bar looked like fun as it was nice and big and I noticed they have happy hour every day. Maybe it's a better spot for lunch or happy hour?

Richmond, Virginia
“Goat was perfect in chorizo, pork belly was perfect in pimento grits”
Reviewed March 25, 2014

Without reservations, we showed up to Blue Goat on a busy Friday night. Although it looked packed from the outside, we were able to score a table for 2 without a wait. The happy hour had good deals so we drank while deciding on dinner (the mixed drink did not skimp on alcohol!).

Together we decided on the pork belly dish and the Sloppy Joe. Although it was not our intention to order a sandwich, the Sloppy Joe was made with goat chorizo! so we had to give it a try and, I must say, goat as chorizo is an incredible idea that tastes even better than it sounds. Decent tater tots as a side but with the goat I didn't even care. As for the pork belly, well, it was even better. The pimento grits had a wonderful flavour and even better texture, the greens vinegary and delicious, and the pork belly was phenomenal. The outside of the pork belly was charred and crispy, the middle tender and moist. A spoonful of all the parts and the dish shined.

The service was very good, helpful and responsive without being annoying. The atmosphere is great and one of the few places where you get a mix of young and old.

Huge fan of Blue Goat when it opened but it's been a while since we've been until a Friday night. To be honest, I have been skeptical as the local news goes back and forth regarding the original menu versus the current menu. Honestly, it IS a different restaurant than when it opened but that isn't a bad thing - we left happy and certainly look forward to going back!

2 Thank 4ED
Urbanna, Virginia
“The bud light draft was only $2.25”
Reviewed March 16, 2014

Wife and I arrived here on a recent Saturday night at 6:20. There was no one waiting but the hostess said we have many reservations and have a drink at the bar. My, they must have so very many reservations because in the 3/4 empty dining room they had little "reserved" signs in front of every other plate. We went over to the bar (maybe 1/2 of the seats were full there) The wife had a water and I had a bud light draft which I noted to the bartender was very reasonable at $2.25. That was at the end of the highlights.

At 6:45, we finished our drinks and conversation and went over to the hostess and said when will be seated. She said all of these tables have reservations, so I don't know if we will be able to help you tonight. The tables at the blue goat at this point were sill three quarters empty., just as they where when we arrived

I said dont worry about it we are going to one of the other fine establishments in walking distance that wants our business and left.

Either the owners are playing some game trying to make their restaurant seem popular by putting "reserved" sings in front of every other place setting, when the place is 3/4 empty or their need to give their staff some remedial training on customer service. They traded a $80 check for a $2.50 bud light and a dollar tip.

Either way I wont be back. Except maybe for the $2.50 bud lights

1 Thank mike o
“Trying too hard”
Reviewed March 2, 2014

This place is pricey and tries too hard. Lots of much better places to eat in Richmond. Service was slow, and they didn't bring our appetizer out until after the meal.