“Our fourth visit”

The Blue Goat
Cuisines: American, Gastropub, Brew Pub
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: The Blue Goat is a Euro-Gastropub, featuring euro comfort food, sourced locally, in a nose to tail concept. Chef Kevin LaCivita.Gastropub: A bar or restaurant that serves high quality food.Euro Comfort Food: The foods traditionally served in a European home setting. Moms meatloaf in the US.Nose to Tail: The tradition of utilizing all parts of the animal in cooking.Local: Defined by the USDA as a day's driving distance. Defined by the localvore movement as, 100 miles.We encourage our guests to order multiple plates and share them family style as they come out from the kitchen.
Reviewed April 1, 2013

And looking forward to another Always order the rabbit pâté..well worth the price . Mussels are always good no matter how the tweek them

Reviewed March 31, 2013 via mobile

Well the name is certainly apt if your idea of a good experience is to be fleeced!!!

I am not a person who writes a lot of reviews but I really felt compelled to speak to this experiece as I hope it saves others from a similar fate

I chose the Blue Goat as a thank you to a friend who I am staying with in Richmond at the moment. From an Internet search it looked like a really interesting and exciting menu and venue and seemed to have struck a great balance between relaxed space and diverse menu

The reality was something quite different! To be honest the space is really nice with relaxed atomosphere and fantastic art work that on arrival had me excited and gave me a sense that this was going to be something to remember. The restaurant even had me consider buying one of their signature t-shirts which were displayed at the entrance. I will remember it but not for the reasons hoped

My friend and I were greeted in arrival by staff that looked rather confused and not entirely sure that the seat chosen for us was completely accurate?? I had booked in advance so there was no doubt on our part that we had chosen this eatery

The menus were deliverd by a friendly waiter who outlined the menu and specials well and we were then left to consider. I am a little bit of a wine admirer so reviewed the menu and decided based on our choices to opt for a Malbec priced at €44. The menu was nicely broad with tapas type appetisers and a range of interesting mains presented to tickle you taste buds. We opted for two mains and decided to leave the appetisers as dessert was a real possibity. I chose the evening special which was prime rib served with spinach and a homemade Yorkshire pudding (€30)while my friend went for the pork belly rolled around sausage and served with spinach and creamed mash (€20)

The wine arrived promptly and was opened for us at our table. I tasted and immediately felt it wasn't right but thought I'd give it a minute to breathe. After a few minutes and further tasting I knew it was off and asked a young waitress for assistance. She kindly agreed to taste and returned to the table confirming my initial thoughts and replaced the bottle for an alternative cab sav. At this point I was impressed and hopeful

We then entered a period of approx 30 mins wait for our food. I wasn't exceptionally bothered by this but felt staff could have been a little more attentive. The food then arrived and was presented well and placed before us. I was immediately concerned as my plate was cold while the beef looked well it was served with a small amount of spinach and a hard lump of Yorkshire pudding that would have been better served as a door stopper than an enhancement to the meal! My friends food including the mash was equally cold and unappealing. We immediately called the waiter and pointed out this problem. He removed the plates and returned approximately 10 mins later with our original plate placed on top of other similar plate having just removed then from what I can only guess was a grill??? The food had not been re-plated in any form and the spinach which had originally looked quite decent looked was now wisened looking and dry. The food itself was tasteless and greasy and the beef while tender was overly salted and lacking in any real taste. The pork was exceptionally fatty and had undergone no rendering of any kind while the mash had zero flavour. I began to feel I had been had !! We ate what we had at this point and I spent most of my time apologising to my friend. We both on finishing felt completely un-satisfied and I paid over €90 for a meal that I felt was worth €30

The words all show and no substance sum it up completely

Please avoid a similar fate

1  Thank Cormac Q
3RMefford, General Manager at The Blue Goat, responded to this reviewResponded April 16, 2013

Please except my sincere apologies for your experience on March 31. This is in no way typical of a guest experience in any of our restaurants, as you can see by other reviews. Please feel free to contact me at your leisure so that we can have an opportunity to make this right for you.

Reviewed March 25, 2013

I loved this restaurant in the West End of Richmond. An interesting blend of French Bistro, Mediterranean and Middle Eastern cuisine, there is something fascinating for every palate. On the recommendation of the server, I went for the Steak Frites, and it was both superb and plentiful! It also had a great selection of local craft beers.

I definitely need to return, as there were several items on the menu I could not fit in on this visit!

1  Thank Frank_Martin_3rd
Reviewed March 21, 2013 via mobile

In town for soccer tournament and looking for a nice meal. Turned to Trip Advisor and found the Blue Goat. Nice location and ample parking. Great ambiance. Good selection of beer/wine. We decided to be bold and fully experience the menu. For apps, we tried the rabbit pâté and also the braised goat over potatoes. The pâté was wonderful. We were a little apprehensive of the goat but it tasted like pot roast and got a thumbs up from the kids. The bread was warm, had a nice crust and soft inside. For our 5 entrees, we tried the pork piccata, rockfish with crab fritter, goat loin, manicotti, and mussels with goat sausage. All had nice portions and everyone shared. Each entree was tasty. The crab fritter was the only disappointment. The star meal was the pork piccata, the lemon flavor really popped and we wanted more. Since one of our entrees was delayed, they comped our desserts. The chocolate pâté looks small but is so rich that one person would have problems eating it all. The profiteroles were wolfed down. Much to my surprise, the dessert voted by my family as best was the caramel gelato with sea salt. We all walked out stuffed and glad we went.

Reviewed February 21, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I had heard only good things about the Blue Goat so we were primes to try it. Went on a Friday night with a reservation(recommended it was quite busy on the floor and at the bar) and were seated promptly. The waiter was knowledgeable about the specials and menu and was attentive without hovering. The house salad and goat/pomegranate and potato appetizers were delicious. I had the mussels entree. They were cooked perfectly and seasoned very well; if you like mussels, you'll love these, if you are on the fence about them this preparation will win you over. The portion was exceedingly generous. My wife had the scallops. They were plump and succulent, also expertly prepared. Sadly several were spoiled. The staff was appropriately apologetic, offered to replace the dish, took it off the bill and didn't charge is for our second round of beers. That is certainly the way to insure a return visit. Overall, the food is excellent, fresh and innovative prepared. They have a top flight local beer selection and a healthy wine list to complement the fare.
We will return.