“Man vs. HogsHead”

Atlanta, Georgia
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Man vs. HogsHead”
Reviewed October 24, 2013

Went to Hogshead on Tues. Place was full, waiting out the door till 8:00 with locals. My first time there, server Rion led us through the menu. We had garlic wings to knock your socks off, pulled pork sandwich of gluttonous proportion, homemade sides followed up with $6 deserts like blackberry cobbler and banana pudding. Both deserts big enough to share. The Banana pudding is the best I have had in 68 years on this earth. The white sangria was refreshing and was recommended by Rion. Went back on Wed. for encore of wings, U-peel shrimp, fried oysters, sweet potato fries with maple dipping sauce , lettuce wedge. Then shared warm pumpkin cake with vanilla ice cream and caramel sauce shared by two for $6.00. absolutely the best. Thanks to Jennifer on Wednesday for recommendations. Excellent food, no wimpy portions and Michelin Stars are irrelevant. The food at Hogshead is better than Grandma ever thought about making. I did not regret one single dollar going for the tab. Thanks HogsHead Café.

1 Thank WW1_WP

Laurel, Maryland
“Great take out option”
Reviewed October 20, 2013 via mobile

Our girls fell asleep on the way to the restaurant so we opted to call in our dinner order around 430PM. Food was ready in 40 mins and we were glad we decided to do take out seeing how small the restaurant is and how busy it can get. When we got back to our hotel, we realized that our order was not totally correct. But all the food was quite delicious.

Richmond, Virginia
“Hog Dog”
Reviewed October 14, 2013

I visited HogsHead on the tail end of lunch. The Cafe is small, no more than 20 tables and a bar area. Service was quick and the wait for our food didn't seem long at all as we entertained ourselves with the trivia cards on the table. The three of us only had 2 decisions to make, what we were drinking and what side item we wanted because we came in with a mission, to try this hotdog that we had heard about. The hotdog is wrapped in bacon and deep fried, then topped with pulled pork, bbq sauce and coleslaw. This thing is huge! It was definitely pretty tasty but I felt so bad after eating it (it's pretty much a hot dog and a bbq sandwich). I had the corn pudding for my side and OMG, I could eat this by the bucket! This was the best corn pudding I had ever had, it was sweet, and a good portion.

1 Thank ssmoore
Exton, Pennsylvania
“Unfriendly staff, food was forgettable”
Reviewed October 13, 2013

I only tried this place because it's rated #1 in Richmond on TripAdvisor, so I figured there must be something to it. I wasn't going to write a review but it's annoying that it's rated #1 after such a poor experience, so I felt compelled to share my experience. When I arrived it's not very obvious if you should seat yourself or wait for a server. After being ignored for a few minutes I walked up to an area where a few servers were standing and asked to be seated. I was told I could wait at the front until a table opened, which I did. After waiting another 8 or 10 minutes I was told very abruptly by another server to wait on the other end of the restaurant, which I did. I was very annoyed at this point because there's nowhere to stand and wait in the restaurant without being in the way, and standing there being moved around a few times I really was made to feel like it was my fault. It was not a very welcoming experience. If they don't like paying customers getting in their way and if they don't have a designated place for them to wait, then they should get a bigger freakin restaurant.

I eventually did order and regretted staying. The food was just ok and the chicken I ordered was a bit dry. And for the price I could have done better down the street at Buzz and Ned's or even Famous Dave's.

5 Thank David S
Richmond, VA
“Richmond is officially a foodie town with this place!!”
Reviewed September 30, 2013

My family has eaten here several times - most recently my wife and I ate at the bar, and each time we've tried something different and haven't been disappointed. Several items are unique and amazing: The Hog Nachos are the best nachos I've ever had, anywhere, and I travel frequently - try them, you will not be disappointed. Also, the fresh squeezed drinks (limeade, lemonade, and my favorite - the Arnold Palmer) are addictive - no free refills, but they give you plenty. Oysters are the best in town, burgers can be split among two people, amazingly, tuna special is very fresh - this is not a classic BBQ joint. The staff are very friendly, treat you like family without being smothering. Homeade desserts, if you can handle them, are heavenly.

Fresh ingredients, nice people, unique items make this the best restaurant in Richmond.

• Visited September 2013