“Worth the trip” 5 of 5 bubbles

HogsHead Cafe
Ranked #6 of 1,593 Restaurants in Richmond
Cuisines: Barbecue, American
Good for: Local cuisine, Kids, Families with children, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Richmond, Virginia
“Worth the trip”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2013

After reading reviews on tripadvisor, I decided to try this for my birthday dinner. So glad I did. The food was delish. It is a small restaurant with limited seating but I arrived on a Tuesday at around 5:30 and there wasnt a wait. All the food including apps arrived piping hot to the table. My party tried the fried hush puppies, crab and shrimp dip, bbq ribs, fried shrimp dinner and shrimp po boy. Our sides included candied yams, collard greens, macaroni and cheese, fried apples, and french fries. No one was disappointed. there are items not on the menu so check the blackboard. I also had the banana pudding, OMG. Our server was attentive and the food arrived quickly.

• Visited July 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Richmond, Virginia
“Great food! Friendly service! A gem in RVA's West End!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2013

HogsHead Cafe has become one of our go to places in Richmond because the food is simply incredible. It offers some of the best BBQ in Richmond and the side dishes are simply unmatched in town. They also offer delicious salads. The only drawback to the experience is that on occasion the wait for a table can be significant. I guess that's a small price to pay for such a wonderful meal.

Visited June 2013
Atlanta, Georgia
“5 Stars is not enough. More than excellent!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2013

Everything we ordered was great!!
I was lucky enough to order the Pot Roast with mashed potatoes, carrots and gravy. I ordered a side of Corn Pudding. It was heavenly.
I will be back if ever in Richmond again!!
Thank you all for such a wonderful meal!!
PS. It would only let me give you 5 stars. I would have added more : )

Mechanicsville, Virginia, United States
“Wow!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 27, 2013

Hands down a new favorite, unknown to us until tonight, but definitely on our short list from now on. The BEST Fried Green tomatoes I have ever had; sorry I did not try the asparagus fries, but definitely will in the future. Great Sweet Potato Fries (with a crazy Maple dipping sauce), and very good onion rings in a light beer batter. Meatiest Baby Back Ribs I have ever seen, too. Great friendly service, in a fairly tight little space. Worth the close quarters. We will be back!

• 4 of 5 bubbles
Houston, Texas
“Great find that wouldn't be possible without Trip Advisor!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2013

My wife and I flew were headed to the Outer Banks, but found cheap flights into Richmond so we decided to spend half a day exploring the town. We came to Tripadvisor for ideas on some good local Southern Food and are so glad we found this place.

I ordered the pork chop off of their special of the day menu and as sides I had yams and mac & cheese. This was probably the best meal I had the entire week of our vacation. I had never had a breaded pork chop in my life, and had no idea what I was missing! The breading was light and flaky, while the pork chop was succulent and delicious! My sides were also delicious. My wife had the pulled pork with scalloped potatoes and cole slaw as sides. In summary, her dish was just ok. I've had better and I've had worse. She ended up eating off of my plate cause she also found it incredibly delicious. Don't forget to order the lemonade as well!

Would definitely recommend this place and if I ever find myself lucky enough to be in Richmond again I will seek this place out.

• 4 of 5 bubbles