“Excellent Southern fun food”
Review of HogsHead Cafe

HogsHead Cafe
Ranked #9 of 1,719 Restaurants in Richmond
Reviewed October 3, 2012

Tried this place twice recently. It was packed and hopping on Friday night. They seemed to be getting a lot of take out orders and our food took a little bit to come out but it was well worth the wait. Had the shrimp Po boy which was wonderful. Great quality shrimp, perfectly cooked, bursting with flavor. We also got the beef brisket which was tender and flavorful. Liked it so much we went again on Wednesday. There was no wait, we sat right down and had our food almost immediately. Got the nachos this time - huge heaping plate and every bite was awesome. Then had the buffalo shrimp which was my favorite so far. You can taste the quality and attention to detail. Lots of variety on the menu. A BBQ place but also a southern comfort food type joint. Try it out for sure.

Reviewed September 27, 2012

Had dinner at Hog's Head last night. The staff was great, attentive and friendly. The atmosphere was cute and I loved that the draft beer was served in a mason jar. I had the Surf & Turf Special, 1/2 rack of ribs & blackened shrimp and really enjoyed it. The ribs were tender and meat just fell off the bone. I selected Mac & Cheese and Hush puppies as my sides and really enjoyed both of those too. The portions were gigantic and 1 meal is definitely big enough for 2 people to share. Overall, I would recommend a visit to the Hogs Head Cafe if you are in the area.

Reviewed September 24, 2012

My husband and I took my son and his girlfriend out for his 21st bday( which wasnt until 23-2 more days to wait). We had about a 15 min wait but it was worth it. The serves was OUTSTANDING, our food was fast and hot, the drinks ( 2 Hurricanes!!!!) was VERY tasty. I thought and my whole table of 5 agreed it was big portions, hot and tasty. My son who eats ALOT and always eats his portion and then part of anyone elses at the table... COULDNT finish is hamburger!!!!!! That is one for the books. Thanks for makin the dinner great. I also want to say our waitress was the BOMB!!!! The small, cozy resturant was a great change from the Applebees, TGIF settings. Cant to go back.

Reviewed September 23, 2012

Made a visit because it was rated #1 on Tripadvisor for restaurants in my hometown. My wife thought her BBQ sandwich was better than Buz and Ned's (a local BBQ joint), which is our gold standard ( I don't agree with her on this one). Overall, if I returned to HogsHead I would stick to the pork section of the menu (that seems to be their strong point).
This is eatery with a handful of tables in a strip mall kind of place in Richmond's far west end. A ribs, burgers and BBQ sandwich menu that has a board of daily specials. Service was quick and friendly on our midweek lunch visit. The ordered BBQ sandwich had lots of pulled pork which my spouse thought was tasty and I found dry and lacking. Her side of mac and cheese disappointed both. It was over cooked and was lacking a variety of cheeses. I love fried oysters ( one summer vacation I spent a trip through New England eating every fried oyster sandwich I could find) so I tried the board special Oyster Po-boy. Oysters were nicely done. They were large and plump with a nice crisp breading and still juicy inside. End of good review of sandwich. Bad roll (too much bread that was also soggy) that was covered with a bed (more like a forest) of lettuce. The remoulade sauce was physically there but had left its flavor down in New Orleans. I had to throw a life preserver to the scalloped potato side so that the potatoes could crawl out of the ocean of butter. Tap beer selection offers a few local brews. It is beyond cute that a "pint" of beer is served in a 1 pint mason jar!

1  Thank michael b
Reviewed September 15, 2012

For the lovers of this place, sorry. I just don't see it. The barbecue tasted like oven roasted meat with smoke flavoring added. I didn't see a smoke ring on the brisket or pork. Mac and cheese was ok. Greens were ok. Hush puppies were fine. Portions are huge, too large. Even if the Q was up to par I don't think I could have come close to eating the entire plate. I did like the environment. Beer selection was good.

2  Thank LazyAcresNorth