“Completely Underwhelming”
Review of Sporting News Bar and Grill - CLOSED

Sporting News Bar and Grill
Cuisines: American
Description: we serve Breakfast and Dinner 7 days a week. We also serve Lunch Monday through Friday
Reviewed August 10, 2013

My husband our kids and I were staying at The Holiday Inn Express using Richmond as a halfway point on our trip back from Myrtle Beach. The Sporting News Grill is located right on the hotel property, def convenient. The pictures of the restaurant look nice and the whole property is pretty new. I was happy a decent looking place to eat was on the grounds after a long day of driving. Unfortunately, I was completely underwhelmed and disappointed. I would of been happier at an average Applebees. Walking in on a Saturday night at 7:00 the restaurant was VERY empty---thinking that's a plus we were hoping for quick and good service. The decor was dated despite how new it is, just nothing I would ever remember and was SO quiet, no music, NO ambiance, no personality. To add to our bland food and less than mediocre experience we had a bland/ no personality waitress too, how fitting! Our food took a LONG time to come out (the place was empty, what was the hold up??) and our service was few and far between visits to the table. The food was gross, the kids meal french fries loaded with pepper (WHY on Earth would a chef put extra pepper on kids fries???). Cold beer in very frosted glasses was the only good thing about Sporting News---(and the proximity to I-95 to get the hell outta Richmond in the morning) Def do NOT recommend, but if you're staying at the hotel and don't want to drive, I'd consider it a choice---or try Subway across the street.

Reviewed July 19, 2013

We were en route on a trip to to Myrtle Beach and stopped here for lunch. I ordered the soup and small caesar salad, and it was ok, nothing special. My husband had the crab sandwich, which he said was good. The service was fine, and the prices were reasonable, so I would rate this restaurant as OK, average, nothing to write home about but much better than eating at a highway rest stop. There were plenty of TVs so sports fans will probably like it just fine.

Reviewed July 15, 2013

I order a meal without specific sauce that it had, I was told it could be done, and when the order came it had the sauce in it, we also had 2 extra sides I did not order, I told the waiter about it but the charge was still in our bill. After complaining she went to talk to the Manager to take the extra charge out of the bill, it was done but really disappointing. Food was "ok" .

Reviewed May 28, 2013

I ordered pasta with chicken...it was fine, and they really gave me an ample portion. The daily specials looked good as well.

Reviewed May 14, 2013

The staff was friendly and courteous and the food and drink affordable. If you are a sports fan they have tvs everywhere and are very willing to put on your game of choice.