American Civil War Museum- Historic Tredegar
Richmond Landmark Segway Tour
Ranked #19 of 179 things to do in Richmond
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: The American Civil War Museum is the nation's first museum to interpret the Civil War from Union, Confederate, and African American perspectives. Discover a new way of looking at our shared national history that explains much of who we are as Americans today through our signature exhibit, In the Cause of Liberty.
Reviewed August 23, 2012

We were told to be sure and visit the Tredegar Iron Works - and the American Civil War Center was next door. Still don't understand why they charge for parking by the hour - we parked in a free lot next door. Really enjoyed the Tredegar and the staff presentations on the foundry. Very helpful. And the Museum was good - but alot of things to read and digest. Two exhibits not working with A/V but again - very helpful staff to help out.

1  Thank 1010CRD

Reviewed August 4, 2012

I understand in the politically correct times we live in, that we try to make everyone happy. After leaving the Tredegar experience, if I didn't know better, I would have thought that African Americans did most of the fighting in this war and that slavery is the only reason this war was fought. I don't think we need to apologize or try to change history to make it better. We just need to tell it like it was so that we are not doomed to repeat it.

2  Thank BigRalph2
Reviewed July 29, 2012

In my quest to see as many civil war sites as possible during these four years of the sesquicentennial, my journey took me to Richmond where I stopped at the American Civil War Museum (privately run - not to be confused with the National Park Service next door at Tredegar Iron Works). It currently costs $3 per hour to park but the Park Service will validate your stub if you go in there. It costs an adult $8 to get in to the ACW Museum ($6 for seniors over 62). The display is on two floors in one of the old Iron Works buildings. As indicated in other reviews, there is a LOT of reading, which could take most of a day if you took the time to read it all. There are three short movies (one was broken the day I was there) and some displays of artifacts. The premise of this museum is that there are three distinct points of view about the Civil War (north, south, and slave) and they try to give voice to all three sides. That, in itself, is unique.
I found this museum to be most fitting for upper elementary/middle school students who might be on a field trip while learning about the civil war. The videos and displays were really geared to those who are just beginning their learning journey. Once I figured that out and tried to picture sixth graders from my school at this place, I was able to accept it for what it was. I'm willing to bet that this place is mobbed during school season. I personally find going to National Park Service Battlefield sites much more educational from an adult perspective.
The best part of this stop really is how they have transformed the old Tredegar Iron Works into the museum. I found it very dark inside and struggled to read some of the information on display. I also noted that many of the items on display must be on loan to or from other museums as there were many display cases with notes that the item is gone. Note there are no photographs allowed inside.

1  Thank MeJane17
Reviewed July 14, 2012

Not recommeded for children below middle school age. They will be bored to death. Therre is a lot of reading to enjoy this museum. They bent over backwards to present the prespective of the nort the south and the slaves. The location is difficult to find but is in a beautiful location down by the James River. They do validate parking when you purchase a ticket. The U S Park service meseum is free. Buy a combination ticket with the Confederate White House and save some money. The tickets do not have to be used the same day.

1  Thank Jimmy30263
Reviewed July 10, 2012

If you are interested in the historical industrial beginning of Richmond and the U.S., Tredegar should be a stop during your visit. This site contains industrial machine parts from working grain mills and machine shops that operated along the canals and James River, along with cupolas from early Richmond Penitentiarys. I did not go into the museum, but the site is one block from the Federal Reserve Bank, and several blocks from the Virginia War Memorial.

1  Thank sjcruiser36