“A Must Visit”

Sprout - A Localvore Restaurant & Bar
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Main St.
Description: Sprout is a proud member of the localvore movement in Richmond VA, serving breakfast, lunch, and dinner six days a week. Localvore is the diet of eating locally, and Sprout is committed to dealing direct with the farmers, growers, tofu makers, artisans, etc. that provide the food we serve. You can always rely on Sprout to serve up a menu of over 90% locally sourced ingredients, and feel confident that your dollars are being reinvested right back here in your local Virginia economy.
Reviewed March 25, 2012

The braised pork, black-eyed peas and stewed tomatoes appetizer is an amazing mixture of flavors. Another must-try is the Scotch Bonnet Pepper martini.

Reviewed March 10, 2012

Having parked at the parking deck for the Landmark, where we had tickets for the "Lion King", we were not sure what to expect at Richmond's first "Tech" restaurant and bar but were prepared for a new experience. Sparsely furnished in a palette of black, grey and white, with metal tables and chairs, and a concrete floor, it felt clinical. But the waitress was friendly and helpful as she explained the concept of ordering a selection of plates to share. In fact her caring attitude saved the whole experience. My husband ordered the ribeye steak with pommes dauphinoise and was well pleased, except for the spiciness of the potatoes. I tasted one, and it was so spicy it seared my tastebuds. I ordered the red snapper oscar. This was a hunk of fish so salty it was inedible, and so rubbery I could not cut it even with a knife. The waitress apologized and returned it to the kitchen. This left me watching my husband eat, so I was pleasantly surprised when she brought me a plate of empanadas to sample "on the house" while I waited. My replacement dish of monk fish looked suspiciously the same as the red snapper, but at least this time it was edible. The accompanying asparagus was crisp and tender. In a curious twist we had ordered a side of brussels sprouts which were served as an appetizer - an interesting accompaniment to glasses of white wine. Once we lost the daylight from the windows the lighting was so inadequate we had to use a flashlight to read the check. There was also inadequate lighting on the black steps leading to a black floor to and from the restrooms. The service could not be faulted. If you enjoy over spiced, over salted food this is the place for you, but for us it was not worth the money. It is, however, convenient to the Landmark.

Reviewed January 30, 2012

Amazing atmosphere and the food was out of this world! Service was very friendly and hospitable too. Great opening weekend experience and I look forward to more in the future!

1  Thank CLo4090
Reviewed June 15, 2011

These are the greens I've been dreaming about! So come on. I'm talkin' to you. Come on.

Following an evening event, we decided to seek out Sprout while we were out and about. We were greeted inside the door by friendly, albeit hip young restaurateurs. The decor was as you would expect from a new trendy localvore restaurant. Some unexpected features included beautiful stained glass windows, gold toned tin ceiling, and a delightful sprig of Rosemary as the table greenery.

The service was pleasant and attentive, especially considering having been seated only 15 minutes before the kitchen was to close. We ordered a sausage and cheddar pizzetta with lovely fresh greens resting on top, and Rosemary marinated steak with sauteed greens and polenta frites. They were both clean & wholesome tasting, and were absolutely delicious. The portions were a little on the light side, but the overall the value and quality of the meals were superb.

There was a live band about to play in a separate back room as we were finishing our meal. We decided not to linger too long, as the music was a good decade younger than our age bracket. :)

What a wonderful experience Sprout was to two passionate and conscious diners, who are often disappointed by the scarcity of restaurants that offer quality, nourishing ingredients with a commitment to support local food production. We will definitely be returning, but earlier in the evening next time.

Sprout will definitely be recommended to friends and family!

3  Thank NameOfTheRoses
Reviewed April 22, 2011

We live 1 1/2 hours away and planned a trip to Richmond just to go to this restaurant. I had heard about it somewhere (Food Network?) and checked them out on Facebook. Got a social network coupon sent to me and I couldn't resist! Make reservations on OPENTABLE.com so you get credit and come back here - you're going to want to...It's a very small, eclectic place - printed menus taped to old album covers! I had the soup of the day - sweet potato soup and it was evident from the first spoonful, we were in for a treat - very flavorful. For dinner, I scored with the parisienne gnocchi with wild mushrooms in a brown sauce on a bed of steamed kale. What a surprise - the gnocchi was fried and having never had kale - I was thrilled with the opportunity to try it. The entire dish was luscious. Kale had been sauteed in a little oil and chunks of garlic and it was still crunchy but not at all bitter. The gnocchi was very good - but I'm not a big fried foods person. I am a mushroom lover so yum to that. What makes everything we had so special was how fresh it was and knowing the concept behind localvore. My husband had sliders which he loved and was delighted with the homemade sweet potato chips. Menu changes as the season changes - asparagus is about to make it's debut. Dessert - one option - mint chocolate chip cheesecake was made at Cracked Egg Bakery. Not sure it was work a whole $7.50 a slice but we enjoyed it before knowing the cost! Our server was the only server and quite nice to chat with - we hope to go back and delve into the interesting fresh food served here. Owner says weekends are quite busy, it was pleasantly busy on a Wednesday night but we never felt rushed. Bathrooms were clean - that's important!