“A very good dining experience”

The Dining Room at the Berkeley Hotel
Reserve with OpenTable
The Dining Room at the Berkeley Hotel is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #192 of 1,603 Restaurants in Richmond
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: 12th Street
Description: The Dining Room at the Berkeley serves regional cuisine with a modern flair. We pride ourselves on using fresh, locally sourced ingredients in everything from our cocktails to our desserts. This is a great place to host private events, business lunches, romantic dinners and brunch. A great effort is made to provide a relaxing and accommodating atmosphere from the free wi-fi to the free valet parking for all restaurant guests. We are always improving on our menus and hoping to provide all our guests with an experience that they will never forget.
Richmond, Virginia
“A very good dining experience”
Reviewed July 27, 2011

Last night I ate at the Berkeley with a friend. We ate off a 3-course Prix fixe menu for “sampling shockoe” but everything we had was on the main menu as well. Most entrees on the main menu were in the $30 range but a few were in the low $20s.

The restaurant was not terribly busy and our server did a great job. The atmosphere is fairly refined (white table cloths, etc) and most men were wearing jackets and women in dresses. Such attire is not required but that gives you a feel for the atmosphere. Some may find it a little stuffy. The restaurant has a front room and a back room. It seems like they tend to use the front as a quiet, professional/romantic area and they put larger groups in the back.

We started with the crab bisque which was absolutely fantastic. We both agreed that if we had to rate it we would give it a 5 out of 5. I would rate this as a “must have” if you eat here.

As entrees I had the pork tartlet and she had the pasta du jour which was penne in a vodka sauce with shrimp. The Pork was good, it had cherries and apricots which weren’t quite as sweet or flavorful as I had hoped, but it was well prepared and presented. The pasta was good although a little light on the vodka sauce and the shrimp were a bit overcooked. Also, they left the tails on the shrimp which made for a nice presentation but made eating a bit more difficult. It’s kind of hard to cut the tail off a shrimp that is lying on top of a pile of penne pasta. We said we would rate both entrees as a 3.5-4 out of 5.

The wine list had several “specials” which were good values in the $30 range. I had the Malbec that is paired with the pork and thought it was very good for the price.

For desert we had a chocolate mousse and the brownie a-la-mode. The mousse was very good, and the brownie was out of this world. We had to fight over the brownie, it really was fantastic in every way. I highly recommend it. Another dessert option was a “new york style cheesecake” that a man at the table next to me ordered. I didn’t taste it but it looked very ordinary and unexceptional.

Overall we were pleased and would return, but the experience was not good enough to make the Berkeley one of my “top” Richmond restaurants. However, I can definitely see myself making a special trip for some crab bisque again soon.

• Visited July 2011
2 Thank irptraveler

Richmond, Virginia
“Very Enjoyable”
Reviewed April 4, 2011

My experience at the Berkeley Hotel Resterant was a very enjoyable. It was reccomended to me by a close friend. I had the pleasure of being able to enjoy a 4 course meal. I had the crab soup which was amazing, the mixed green and apple salad, chef Ty's signature crab cake and the pumpkin cheese cake. All which was wonderful. I would and have recommended this restaurant to several of my associates.

• Visited February 2011