“Good service, bad Food, Drinks weak”
Review of Europa Italian Cafe & Tapas Bar - CLOSED

Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Private Dining, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: 14th and Cary Streets
Description: Europa now celebrating its 10th anniversary, has just completed a major face lift. The décor is simple and sophisticated; the atmosphere is casual and modern. There is a new private dining room on the entry floor that can accommodate seated dinners for up to 36 guests. The downstairs lounge and dining room also has all new furnishings and makes a perfect setting for larger private functions. The menu focuses on Italian and Spanish specialties. There are more than 30 small plates to choose from. Select one for an appetizer or make a meal out of a few. Entrees include a variety of Italian classics focusing on fresh seafood, hearty meat dishes and delicious pastas. Don’t miss our weekly specials including Tapas night on Sunday, with ½ off tapas all night. Go to our web site for more great weekly specials. Dinner begins at 5:00 nightly and free parking is available. Reservations are recommended.
Reviewed September 27, 2013

I've visited Europa many times before over the years with good results, however, my last visit was horrible, made the mistake of ordering an entree on the small plate special discount 3-for-1 night. Service was excellent but the food and drink not up to par, The mojito was bland, weak and unflavorful, tried the aragula salad but it was dowsed in oil with spoiled leaves hidden on the bottom, the artichoke crab dip was excellent, the mixed paella rice was horribly overcooked to a burnt mush, the meats overcooked, the lemons rotten, and the seafoods were all undercooked and raw. I had already waited 35 minutes for the food so did not complain, but their paella for 1 is not worth $23. I was unable to eat 2/3 of it and ended up throwing up in their bathroom before departing, and made sure to take the leftovers with me to discard later. The food is overpriced and rising in cost, not cooked well, and portion sizes getting smaller. The food is not up to par. Service was pleasant and prompt. Good Atmosphere.

Reviewed August 20, 2013

We popped into on a rainy Sunday night at 9pm while in Richmond for a conference. They had already sent some staff home and were overwhelmed at first. Some items on the menu were understandably unavailable but we ended up getting plenty of great food and wine. I picked up the tab... $222 for 8 people. It was a great evening and a nice recovery.

Reviewed August 19, 2013

We were looking for a place to eat during our first night in Richmond, and Europa looked interesting. It is very casual here. We ate at the bar and Chris, our bartender and knew everything there was to know about the dishes on the menu. We started with a a couple of tapas dishes. One of them was an artichoke crab dip which I highly recommend. Then we shared a small paella. It was the best I ever had, and was more than enough for the two of us. They make each one from scratch, and it is well worth the wait of about thirty minutes. It was by far the best I ever had. The prices here are very reasonable. I can't wait to visit Richmond and eat here again.

Reviewed August 12, 2013

There were four of us, two of us really enjoyed our meals. I made a dinner out of the Garlic Shrimp and thoroughly enjoyed it. We also had the Signature starter which was really good. The clams and mussels with linguine the mussels were bait overcooked. My friends paella looked really good in the way it was served but did not match up to the look.it is one of the only times since I've known him, that he did not finish his meal. The red sangria rates up there with the best of them. Go have during Happy Hour it's that good. The tiramisu was also good.The waitress was very helpful and checked back with us frequently.

Reviewed August 5, 2013

Terrific tasty food and great service. Get in before 6 half price on tapas. Reduced wine/ beer before 7. Full Nelson Beer excellent.