“Quaint place!”

Rowland Fine Dining
Reserve with OpenTable
Rowland Fine Dining is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #665 of 1,607 Restaurants in Richmond
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: shields&main
“Quaint place!”
Reviewed November 14, 2011

We enjoyed ourselves at Rowlands on November 12, 2011. It was a pretty active restaurant that evening. I don't believe there was a vacant table to be had. The food was wonderful! The cocktails were delivered to the table just as ordered. I enjoyed the Eggplant, Leek, spinach and ricotta ravioli for the "starter," When I ordered my main course I had to ask the waiter to describe what a "Joe Chop" was, I had never heard that expression before. My meal was a very oversized pecan crusted pork chop which was drizzled with caramelized granny smith apple and cider sauce. The combination was delightful! I thoroughly enjoyed my dinner! Sevice was good. The only thing that was a negative was the house salad, it came with about 7 peices of lettuce, 1 grape tomato and then some dressing. It looked uninviting and forgotten. We will return to Rowlands for sure!

• Visited November 2011

“Poor Service”
Reviewed November 10, 2011

I dined at Rowlands on Thursday, November 9th and have to say the food was decent but the service was less than spectacular. It was busy and since we did not have reservations we were instructed we needed to sit at the bar. I should note the dinning room was about 75 to 80% full so there were free tables that remained free most of the night. When we arrived it was the busiest and over the next hour and a half it dwindled to about 45/50% full. (Honestly they could have found places for us to sit but they really didn’t seem like they wanted to help.)
We really were fine with dining at the bar until we tried to fit in. The seats we had were not really acceptable for dining and he knew that was our intention so to be honest I was not super happy. The drink prep station was directly in front of me which further cut into the small amount of space that was available to me but hey we didn't have reservations.
We had been seated for probably 5 minutes before the bartender even approach us about drinks. During that time a couple walked in, were greeted by the same bartender and he immediately asked what drinks they would be having. Next the drinks were poured and they were sipping their wine. All this happened over the five minutes and the bartender had not really even said hello to me and my date. I finally flagged the bartender down to taste some wine before ordering a bottle.
The food took a long time to come out. Much slower than the people around us. Even the person next to us ordered food abotu 5-10 minutes after yet somehow his hot app arrived before the server brought us bread much less the salads that came with out meals. The dinner took even longer and in the end we bought a second bottle of wine. I was trying not to let the poor service ruin my night and honestly I knew a review was in order to let Rowlands know how they screwed this up.
As for the actual food I ordered the veal and that was tasty but it was over sauced. I couldn't even see the mashed potatoes there was so much gravy on the dish. My date ordered the pork chop and it was slightly over cooked and dry. Not what I expect from a fine dining experience. Not that it seemed the bartender cared.
I can tell you I will not be back to Rowlands to dine and would recommend many other great places in Richmond.

• Visited November 2011
1 Thank RVAlawman
Silver Spring, MD
“FANtastic surprise - superb meal & service”
Reviewed July 11, 2011

My husband & I bought a voucher for Rowland Fine Dining from one of the same-day-deal sites. We were VERY pleasantly surprised by the excellent food and service at this restaurant. It's a small, attractive bistro with some outside seating (which we skipped in this July heat). Although relatively empty when we arrived (7 p.m.), the restaurant promptly filled up, though it did not get too noisy. We loved everything we ordered. My calamari was lightly fried, not greasy, on a tangy, flavorful bed of greens. The short ribs spring roll appetizer was so large and flavorful that it was a satisfying entree for me. My husband ordered the Joe Chop- a crusted pork chop of Flintstone proportions. I don't know how a pork chop that big could be so moist & juicy - I'm thinking brining must have been involved, but whatever it was, they should keep doing it. Our server was friendly and gracious, attentive but not intrusive. When the wine I wanted was not available by the glass, he suggested some excellent alternatives. All in all, one of the best meals I've had in a while. Rowland's is, indeed, fine dining.

• Visited July 2011
1 Thank ElvisLoveChild
Richmond, Virginia
“Could be the best Fan restaurant”
Reviewed May 9, 2011

Of all the fine dining in the Fan historic district of Richmond, Rowland sits at the top. Not only were our meals expertly prepared, they came with a creative flair that distinguishes them in a class above the normal. With fine dining you come to expect smaller portions that are meant to please rather than satiate. We came hungry and left full. With smiles.

• Visited April 2011
1 Thank Hokieez
Lexington, South Carolina
“We had a very nice dinner at Rowland.”
Reviewed December 9, 2010

My group of five ate here based on a recommendation from an Omni Hotel employee. Everyone enjoyed their meal very much. In fact, this may have been the best food I have had in Richmond (I had the "Joe Chop"). Our waiter was very friendly and helpful, but being the only one working the front of the restaurant, he seemed (though no fault of his own) to be a bit overextended at times. Other than that, the overall experience was wonderful, and we would definitely return.

1 Thank ame2001