“Not quite fine art”

Dining style: Fine Dining
Richmond, Virginia
“Not quite fine art”
Reviewed July 26, 2014

I'd heard great things about Amuse, and was excited to finally have a chance to try it. Unfortunately, our lunch got off to a bad start when the hostess put us in an uncomfortable position with the seating. Then when I saw the very limited menu that was different from the one I'd viewed online, I wasn't particularly overjoyed. I'm all for specials and rotating menus, but when a diner sees something online they'd like to order and finds it isn't even on the current menu, it's frustrating. Ultimately, I chose the deviled eggs with pimento cheese and the caprese salad, while my dining companion ordered the Chicken Korma. During our wait, our server promised to return with bread, and he did, although it was the equivalent of half a slice of bread. We had far more butter than we'd ever have needed, and the fact that the wait for our food was considerable only made the bread seem smaller! Eventually I received the plate of deviled eggs first, and I was disappointed by the bland, far-too-mildly-seasoned filling. The caprese salad with burrata was definitely tasty, but again, just not something to write home about. My dining companion did enjoy the Chicken Korma. I tasted it and agreed that it was very flavorful. If I ever find myself back at Amuse, I might try that instead. I will say that the dessert, profiteroles filled with strawberry ice cream and draped with chocolate syrup, left me with a brighter view of my experience. They had a lovely balance of sweetness, and weren't too heavy of an ending. All in all, I wish I could rate it higher, but the experience just didn't leave me with an itch to return.

Washington DC
“Wonderful meal!”
Reviewed July 23, 2014

After a lovely couple of hours touring the museum-- it really is an amazing art museum-- we ended our visit by having lunch at Amuse. We each had a drink. My rose was very tasty, and a generous pour. The beer selection was good, and their coffee was excellent. After we ordered, we were brought the most delicious warm bread and butter. Then our meals came quickly. We had both the crab cakes, and the Greek lamb with pita. Everything was delicious, and the service was excellent.
We also thought it was a very good value for the quality of the meal- $45 for two drinks and two entrees. We will be back again, for sure!

Raleigh, North Carolina
“Great Food, Great Service, Beautiful View”
Reviewed July 21, 2014

I traveled to Richmond, Virginia to visit the Virginia Museum of Fine Art. I decided to have dinner at their Amuse Restaurant as it was close to 6 p.m. and I was not finished viewing their amazing collection. Since the museum was open till 9 p.m. on Thursday I decided to dine at the museum and I'm glad I did.

For starters, the service was fantastic. I was traveling solo and asked for a table with a view. I was seated indoors next to the outdoor balcony dining and had a view of the beautiful grounds.

I ordered from their Prix-Fixe menu and enjoyed a delicious three-course meal. It started with a salad made from local greens topped with goat cheese, candied pecan and fig vinaigrette. The main course was Chicken Korma – boneless chicken breast with almonds, cashews and Saffron Biryani. It was amazing ! ! The finish was a decadent Chocolate Pâté with fresh whipped cream and berry coulis. When I asked about their champagne offerings, my wait person mentioned the restaurant was offering a special price on the Piper Heidsieck Champagne Brut by the glass. It was a wonderful choice to accompany this meal.

I loved that the Amuse restaurant was on the second floor of the VMFA and the design of the glass and steel balcony railing gave the feeling of floating above the grounds and offered a wonderful view.

Overall, a wonderful dining experience I would highly recommend.

Bury St. Edmunds, United Kingdom
“don't miss this”
Reviewed July 7, 2014

Lovely staff great service, perfect vista from windows, quiet, refined. Good food, fine wine at the fairest prices we have seen on our holiday in a restaurant, a brilliant find would recommed to anyone. Even a good selection of vegetarian food. Coffee was slightly a let down, but we are fussy, so it is 5 stars and will not hesitate to retun.

Visited July 2014
Richmond, Virginia
“A Star Spangled Evening”
Reviewed July 7, 2014

Trying to find a place open for dinner on the 4th of July can be hard at times. Note to self: Amuse is always open! And what an evening: two sets of simultaneous fireworks displays, glorious humidity-free weather and a wonderful view from the terrace. Not to mention the terrific food. We started with the deviled egg appetizers. Three blue cheese stuffed egg halves with each order. Didn't expect the blue cheese jolt - they were fabulous. Next up, salad - one beet, the other local greens. Perfect. Entrees: crab cakes and pan seared salmon. The crab cakes were generously sized and the salmon cooked perfectly with a nice seared crunch. Desserts: tres leches cake and a strawberry ice cream filled profiterole. Decadent? Yes. Yummy? Of course! Every visit to Amuse is delicious and a great value.