“Man Your Battleship!”

The Black Sheep
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed February 2, 2013

This is one of those places that I am sure that my review, whether good or bad, really won't make a difference to those that have read the reviews, seen the TV shows, or probably have eaten the food before. But allow me to weigh in...this is as close to a Park Slope joint in Richmond as I have been to. The smell hits you as you round the corner, and then you see the patiently waiting masses outside. No bar inside, no lounge...The dining area is as big as my living room, with approximately a dozen tables of varying sizes, most big enough to accommodate a group of four or five, but if you are a large group, forget it unless you rent the place out or go with at least an hour to wait outside. And located about a block away from the VCU Bookstore and the Siegel Center, I guess you could put your name down, disappear for a half hour and come back without missing a beat.
And you will wait...we went off peak, we waited, we went for lunch, we waited, we went for dinner, we waited. You are almost waiting for them to annex the townhouse next door before you go back. But I digress...the important question is...IS THE FOOD WORTH THE WAIT? The answer is yes. The food is fresh, delicious, and, this is the most important part, unique. Yes, their signature food item consists of sandwiches basically, so what's the big deal? The deal is in the details, like putting granny smith apples with chicken livers and slaw-er-shredded cabbage. Peach chutney and banana ketchup with blackened chicken. And let's not forget the bread, crisp french baguette that is crusty but enjoyably chewable, and a fine compliment to the ingredients. We ordered four half-battleships for four people, way too much food, but the fun was in the sampling. If two or more want the same sandwich, certainly get the whole boat. But plan on taking some home, especially if you sample one of their ridiculously creative desserts.
The wait notwithstanding, this is the place to take an out-of-towner who may doubt Richmond's pedigree as a foodie destination. So why the four stars instead of five? Well, there needs to be some urgency among the serving staff and the guests to eat and not linger, and there is none. You wanna sit in the window and stare at the cold hungry masses yearning to eat a battleship? Go right ahead...no one will stop you. The food takes a while understandably as it is fresh as fresh gets, but once the food is wrapped, the drinks finished, the desserts sampled, the coffee sipped, and the stares from the waiting throng beginning to turn to scowls, get me my damn check just a WEE bit faster, thanks. I don't fault anyone for wanting to enjoy their dinner but folks, lets give at least half a thought to those that are waiting, and expedite the paying process a bit. A small bit of concern goes a long way. The Black Sheep is all you've heard about, but be prepared to press your face up against the glass and be an outsider looking in. At least for a little while. Or call the takeout angel and bring your battleships home! Yes, they taste just as good, and you can avoid uncomfortable stares and frostbitten toes.

Reviewed February 2, 2013

I like quaint and quirky restaurants with good food and this place is among the best! The Black Sheep is in that interesting and transitioning area around VCU so parking can be a problem. The restaurant has only about a dozen tables so the line did build up at lunch-time since the back patio was not open. We got a corner table in the back and were served quickly and kindly. I was expecting the basics of American food but the omelets (South Anna) that we got had very interesting flavor combinations.... ones that I would not thought of putting together... that were excellent. They were nicely presented on toast points. I also had their soup of the day... an excellent hearty combo of cabbage, carrot, pork, and potato. The walls of the place had a nice display of ephemera, art, and even a bear head! And, bathrooms were clean. I could not ask for more on a great day trip to Richmond!

Reviewed January 18, 2013

While in the Richmond area for the day, my family thought we would try "The Black Sheep", known for their monster subs. We found paid parking and walked around the block to the restaurant. After walking inside, we were standing in the doorway waiting for someone to greet us. We waited and waited. Then, my husband had the front door, which is clear glass, slammed into him by the manager/shift manager. We were then told in an unbelievably rude manner by this man to go huddle up against a brick wall in the back of the establishment or wait outside. Evidently this was our "welcome" to his establishment.We left. With so many places to spend my hard earned money, I choose to only use ones who treat me and my family with dignity and respect. So if you want to be treated like dirt, help yourself.

6  Thank hsmom14
Reviewed January 12, 2013

There are lots of interesting dishes to choose from here. I got the tofu sandwich with picked veggies. The flavors were great! This is a small restaurant, so you're probably going to wait for a table during popular meal times.

Reviewed December 25, 2012

Heard the Sheep was impossible to get in because it's always packed with a line out the door. Tip: Go when VCU is on break and during a holiday weekend. Walked right in on December 22nd.