“Small, unique and awesome”
Review of The Black Sheep - CLOSED

The Black Sheep
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed December 25, 2012

Heard the Sheep was impossible to get in because it's always packed with a line out the door. Tip: Go when VCU is on break and during a holiday weekend. Walked right in on December 22nd.

Reviewed December 22, 2012

We loved our lunch at the Black Sheep. I had seen it on one of the Food Network shows and have always wanted to try it. It did not disappoint. We got there a little after the lunch rush and there was still a wait. However, there was a clip board on the door that you write your name on and the hostess will come and call you when a table is available. It was a pretty day so standing outside waiting for a table was no big deal, however, I am not sure what would happen with cold or wet weather because it is so small there is no room to stand inside.
The food was great. We had the vegetarian soup which was butternut squash in a broth with spaghetti noodles. An interesting combo but it was delicious. I had the chicken liver sub which was topped with a spicy slaw that had green apples in it. Wonderful! My daughter had a sub with ground lamb and beef with a cucumber mixture on top. She chose to have her sub over a salad and skip the bread. It was just as good that way! My niece had the tofu sub. She found the marinated carrots a little too spicy for her taste but could easily take them off. I look forward to going back and trying the dinner menu.

Reviewed December 14, 2012

Have returned repeatedly to The Black Sheep, enjoying lunch, dinner, weekend brunch and take away meals here, and every one a taste sensation. Now, be prepared: Like many restaurants in Richmond city, the (street) parking is difficult and space small (which, with food this great, can result in a lengthy wait). Beer and wine are available, but no liquor served. The menu is delightfully difficult to describe: Some of the items would be classified as basic "comfort foods" (deviled eggs, sausage gravy & biscuits, side salad, etc.) while others are a creative combination of flavors yielding surprisingly wonderful results. And portions are plentiful - A full battleship (sub sandwich) is more than a meal for two (Plus just fun to see)! But the Black Sheep is much more than an upscale sub shop - It has a complete menu full of interesting and delicious choices that put it our list of top local dining choices..

1  Thank AnnCan_8
Reviewed December 11, 2012

The food at the Black Sheep is good. It is of good value, good quantity and good quality.

The service is miserably bad, and consistently so. I laugh about the other user's "best-kept secret comment" as a restaurant that is consistently at capacity cannot be a best-kept secret.

The restaurant has been crowded every time that I have visited. This is clearly not the restaurants responsibility, however, how the restaurant handles this is demonstrative of their terrible customer service. I understand being asked to wait outside, and in fact have done so at many establishments, however, the rude manner in which this was accomplished by the wait staff was pretty horrific.

We ordered well ahead of the table behind us, and were served well after. This was obviously caused by the waitresses inability to manage multiple tables. We were never served water, we were never asked if we wanted drink refills. The large table in the corner all got their food at different times, and 2 orders were sent back for some sort of problem.

The restaurant was full and the wait staff were obviously hustling patrons out the door, slamming down checks without having been asked.

Obviously, some folks are willing to put up with this kind of service to get what I would describe as "passable" food. I am not. I doubt my patronage will make a dent in their success, but I would caution others that if you want a good experience, rather than just enough food to choke a horse - this ain't the place.

2  Thank Jacob J
Reviewed October 30, 2012

It's a best-kept secret in Richmond. The food is DELICIOUS and the portions generous. The ambience is terrific because there's seating for about 35 people and it always feel intimate. One of my favorite places to dine!

1  Thank HikerGirl48