“Walking into the dining room will make your mouth water”
Review of The Black Sheep

The Black Sheep
Ranked #39 of 1,605 Restaurants in Richmond
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Lynchburg, Virginia
“Walking into the dining room will make your mouth water”
Reviewed May 12, 2012

Our daughter has lived in the same block as this tiny little treasure all year and we JUST tried it. I wish we had checked it out before!!

Expect to wait. There is seating for no more than two dozen people inside. However, rather than standing on the sidewalk, you have the option of sitting on the back patio and enjoying a beverage while you wait. There is a tiny bar and picnic tables set up. The wait wasn't a problem. Patience is well rewarded.

They are known for their gigantic sub sandwiches served on fresh baguettes. A half sub is 12" long and a whole sub will feed a table of 4 average folks. The menu is varied and I had a terrible time deciding what to order. My husband ordered the USS Congress - shredded pork barbecue with a wonderful fresh oniony slaw and packed into the roll. Daughter ordered the pear french toast - made from croissants topped with a wine poached pear syrup (the item included gruyere cheese and ham, but she asked to have them left off). I finally decided on the pork galletes over grits. Simply amazing! A rich gravy was ladeled over the thinly pounded pork and grits. It was spicy with black pepper. There were two slices of baguette to mop up the juices and I used them!

We all look forward to returning to try more of the delightful menu.

• Visited May 2012

• Arabic first
Winston Salem, North Carolina
“Really, Really Good Food”
Reviewed April 23, 2012

Stopped in for brunch yesterday on the way back from NYC, and this place rivaled any of the breakfast food I had up there. The dishes are thoughtful and nicely seasoned. I had the sweet potato and duck quesadilla and my co-conspirator had the lamb sausage frittata. We swapped 1/2 way thru as we both really enjoyed both dishes equally--something that hardly EVER happens. I will say, the duck was slightly over-powered by the rest of the dish for mine, but the homemade salsa which included zucchini and squash was spectacular and the sweet potatoes were not overly sweet, which is often my complaint with ordering them out. The frittata was just simply delicious dish--well balanced with pesto and the lamb sausage was mild--which is nice for brunch and the potatoes in the dish were cooked and seasoned perfectly. Service was average, pleasant enough,--our table was right in front of the door, clearly the worst table in the place and the opening and closing of it caused a chill on occasion-but its a small intimate restaurant, that is what you get sometimes and just unfortunate luck of the draw during a busy brunch crowd. Prices were fair to good for portion size. Also, pretty easily (3 turns I think) accessible from 95, and will be my go to spot for any future trips that way.

Churchville, Virginia
“Great small personal restaurant”
Reviewed April 17, 2012

The Travel Channel has been there twice so we tried it. Great. I had the chicken liver sub and my wife had the spicy chicken sub. Outstanding blends of tastes. Staff is friendly and likes to talk to folks. Crowded at lunch time and parking can be up to 200 yards away. It is worth it...
A great small place to eat. It is not fast food as it is cookked to order so it takes a bit of time.
Cost of a half sub is about $9 and a full 24" sub is $17 - way too much food.

Virginia
“What a nice surprise!”
Reviewed April 16, 2012

My son, a friend and I decided to give Black Sheep a try after looking for student apartments in the area. There was not much of a crowd on Friday at 5:30pm but it soon filled up. The eclectic atmosphere was truly inviting with a variety of wall, table and counter decorations that capture your attention. The menu was far more extensive than what I thought was a sub shop for little did I know that we had stumbled into a great, small scale eatery with absolutely superb food, daily specials and a drink and liquor list that was most complete. My Brooklyn Summer Lager, a first, was especially refreshing. We all had a "battleship" - extra large sub sandwiches - which was by far the best I have ever eaten (this compares to some of New England's best grinder establishments) due to the unique combination of fresh ingredients that comprised each selection. It's obvious that a lot of thought went into their creation. Desserts were homemade and delectable. Service was excellent. I have a new favorite eatery now when visiting VCU. Don't miss this one! Cheers!

1 Thank libertycall8107
Midlothian, Virginia
“Another great eatery near VU”
Reviewed April 16, 2012

We stopped by on Sunday around 5:20 and had to waint until 6:00 to get in but it was well worth it. The food was excellent and the service very good. It's certainly not a fine dining experience but it's a great example of a local joint, one you might not decide on if you were just driving by (unless the line put you onto it). Everything was excellent, from the Chicken Noodle soup (sure not Campbells) to the Peanut Butter pie.