“Should have been better”

Shula's America's Steak House
Reserve with OpenTable
Shula's America's Steak House is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #181 of 1,607 Restaurants in Richmond
Cuisines: American, Steakhouse
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Full Bar, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Valet Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: West Broad Street
Description: Shula's Steak House is the classic American steakhouse. Our restaurant is themed after 1972's Undefeated Miami Dolphins and their "Perfect Season" - the only team in NFL history to finish a season 17-0. The SHULA CUT is Premium Black Angus Beef that has to meet 10 science based specifications, which exceed the standards of USDA Prime. One of the featured entrees is the 48 oz Porterhouse. Those who finish it join Shula's 48-Ounce Club, which currently has more than 34,600 members. In addition to exceptional steaks, Shula's offers fresh seafood, lamb porterhouses daily and prime rib on the weekends. We also offer an award-winning wine list featuring a variety of selections to make your dining experience a perfect one. Experience fine dining at its best with steak and seafood dishes. Enjoy a casual atmosphere in lounge with the full menu along with your favorite burgers and sandwiches. Shula's continues to cater "Perfect" group functions and dinners in our private dining rooms. For additional information about reservations, Corporate and Social group Functions, Rehearsal Dinners, Presentations, Seminars, or Dining Experiences, please contact: Meredith Wright Business Development Manager. Make your reservation today through OpenTable.
Herndon, Virginia
“Should have been better”
Reviewed March 18, 2013

I ordered prime rib for $41. It was a large cut but unless you can eat fast it gets cold and cold prime rib doesn't taste good. Everything is ala carte so dinner for one is at least $50 plus drinks. The sourdough bread was good. I thought the whole experience was just average and worth half the price. I have had better food at Logan's Roadhouse. Not someplace I will go to again and definitely not a family restaurant.

• Visited March 2013
Gina A, General Manager at Shula's America's Steak House, responded to this review, August 13, 2013
I am so sorry you felt this way about your dining experience. If you feel that it was just okay, maybe we may have missed something. There is always room for improvement.

If you don't mind, why or what exactly made you feel like the experience you had was just an average one? Can you elaborate? If you would, so kindly share a few details with us, we will definitely work on the necessary changes so that we can improve our services and be better.

We have high standards and a very thorough training program to be able to give the best service and the best food we can possibly give. I do hope that you can help us out in the areas you felt needed improvement or attention to. I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you for your time and hope to hear from you.

Newport Beach, California
“Better than hotel food - but his is no Gibson's!”
Reviewed March 14, 2013

I ordered the boneless NY strip - $44. It was pleasant enough, but a little on the bland side. While I have no complaints per se, I do expect to be wow'd a bit by a $44 steak.

If you are a steak lover like me, don't go to Shula's thinking you'll get a prime steak equal to the taste and quality of Gibson's (Chicago) or Benjamin's (NYC), because you'll be dispointed. Go with the thought that it's better than generic "Hilton" food, and you'll be a little pleased.

Visited March 2013
I thank you for your review and thoughts on your dining experience with us and I am sorry that you feel this way about our steaks. But if I may, share a few facts with you and other diners so that you know that the quality of our beef is specifically hand selected and hand cut to our precise standards.

We at Shula's Steak House cut, own, breed and serve the highest quality of Premium Black Angus Beef which produce the best beef in the world. While no competitors use the same quality brand, Premium Black Angus beef tastes better and is the most tender of all cattle breeds. The expertise within the Shula's company led them exclusively to the use of Premium Black Angus.

Here at Shula's Steak House we have science based qualifying specifications in marbling, maturity, uniformity, flavor, appearance, consistency and tenderness. Our specifications guarantee that less than 1% of all our steaks make "our cut".

So therefore the steak is the star of the show and while some may think it is bland in flavor, we do not do much to them besides add a touch of Kosher salt and black pepper. This is because we do not want to overdo the steak with other seasonings and ruin it's own natural flavors with it's tenderness and marbling.

I am not trying to change your opinion, I am simply letting you know that we do have great steaks and I would hope that you would give us another shot so that maybe we can prove to you our beliefs and standards.

Hope that you find this message in understanding that we are very proud of our brand and I want people to know that.

Please consider stopping by once more and see if can win you over.

Have a pleasant week. Thank you again for your time.

“Not a good value.”
Reviewed March 14, 2013

Agree with other reviewer. Poor service and overpriced food. Go to Outback. Richmond is full of better restaurants.

Gina A, General Manager at Shula's America's Steak House, responded to this review, August 14, 2013
Thank you for your feedback on your most recent dining experience with us here at Shula's Steak House. I certainly do apologize for the poor service you received. If I may ask, would you elaborate? And did you by chance have the opportunity to bring it to the attention of the manager on duty?

We pride ourselves in the way we perform and I truly hate for a guest to leave unhappy and it is my duty to be sure that everyone gets outstanding service. We really do have a great team here and I am surprised that you did not get stellar service. If you would be kind enough to give me some details so that I can quickly address this with my team, and I can assure this never happens again.

Please feel free to reach out to me here at the restaurant if you'd like so that I can be of further assistance.

Again, thank you for your response and your time.
Virginia
“Good, but not great”
Reviewed February 14, 2013

Made a online reservation for Valentine's Day, received a call asking me to confirm, did so, and yet received an email the day before the dinner stating my reservation was canceled. A call directly to Shula's straightened things out.

The restaurant is in the Hilton next to the Short Pump Town Center, an upscale mall in western Henrico county. We were seated without delay in a nicely appointed but dark and not so cozy dining room. Service was prompt and attentive throughout the meal. Cuts of beef were brought by the table so we could see the quality of the steaks available to choose from. A nice variety of high quality meats. We had the calamari fries and French onion soup as appetizers - good, but nothing special. We both had the Filet Oscar, which is served with crabmeat and asparagus tips over hollandaise sauce. Sides we selected, which are priced separately but serve two, included crab macaroni and cheese, twice-baked potato and steak fries.

The steaks were cooked just as ordered and had a great taste, however, were barely above room temperature when served. The sides were good but in my opinion not worth the $10-$12 charged for each. I had ordered a large bottle of San Pelligrino for $8 and had one glass filled, never saw the rest and the waiter kept bringing tap water instead.

At $50 per entree, $10-12 per side and $12-17 per appetizer, I would have expected an overall excellent experience. Although the service was prompt and friendly and the meats were of high quality, the error with the reservation, the lukewarm entrees and generally good versus great sides and appetizers cause me to rate the experience as only average. And at $170 for two people, I would not be willing to spend that kind of money again for an average experience. First and last visit for me most likely, but I might give them a second shot with the free entree coupon they will send by email around my birthday for singing up when I made my online reservation...emphasis on might.

• Visited February 2013
Gina A, General Manager at Shula's America's Steak House, responded to this review, August 12, 2013
Thank you for your review and I do greatly appreciate your comments. Firstly, I am not sure why your reservation was cancelled and I am puzzled about that as well and I will be sure to look into this.

Here at Shula's we take pride in our customer service and the quality food that we serve. I am sorry that it was good but not a great experience. We have high standards at Shula's Steak House and I expect that our guests will receive nothing but a perfect dining experience. With the quality food and service we should always give, an average one is unacceptable. I do sincerely hope that you will give us another chance to be able to provide you that excellent service we should have given in the first place.

Please feel free to get in touch with me personally to make your next reservation if you would be willing to give us another try. I do hope we can earn your business in the near future whenever your travels bring you back to Richmond.

Atlanta
“By average, I mean Outback average”
Reviewed January 28, 2013

It was quite poor for what is supposed to be a prime steakhouse. They simply could not cook a steak properly and preferred to argue over definitions when the steak was obviously very rare.

Visited January 2013
I am sorry to hear that you had an unpleasant dining experience with us in the past. In no way should an argument have taken place between my staff and our guests. We appreciate your business and hope you will give us another chance. I also do appreciate your comments as this will help us to improve our customer service. I will be sure to address this with my staff and make sure this never happens again.

We are under new management and I take pride in what I do and will do everything in my power to make future visits for anyone dining with us at Shula's Steak House has a pleasant experience.

I would like to invite you back to give us another try whenever your travels bring you back to Richmond.

Hope you have a great week.

Thank you for your time.