“Great price; great location; but....”

Hampton Inn Richmond South
Ranked #29 of 81 Hotels in Richmond
Lancaster, Pennsylvania
“Great price; great location; but....”
Reviewed January 26, 2012

I want to preface this review with the statement that I, as a single female traveler, wanted to make sure I was in a safe, clean environment. This Hampton Inn was great in this respect. Some areas in Richmond are a little "ify," but this hotel was south of the city with a well-lit parking lot and wonderfully clean facilities. Nearby dining out is somewhat restricted, but there's a sports bar/restaurant across the street and a large, modern Subway next door. There was also a microwave and small refrigerator in my room. Breakfast, as mentioned by previous contributors, is served off the lobby area and is quite good. The ice machine and beverage machine were located by the elevators. The staff was friendly.
I requested a quiet room, and I'm sure the receptionist thought she was being kind by placing me in a room away from other guests. However, she put me in a room on the I-95 side of the hotel. I noticed the noise from the highway right away but didn't think it would be a problem. By the time I came back from dinner at Subway, I was exhausted. I took a nice shower...good water pressure and lots of hot water...and slid into a very comfortable bed. I particuarly liked the duvet. I watched TV for a while but found myself turning the sound up constantly, for the highway noise was still present and the heating unit in the room made it worse. Then there was a constant, unrelenting buzzing noise whose source was unknown. I looked everywhere so I could stop it, to include peeking out the door to check a nearby exit sign. No luck! (It wasn't until the next day that I noticed that my room was next to a utility storage area. I can only surmise that this was the origin of the noise.) In all fairness to the staff, I did not report the noise because I was too tired to change rooms. I did, however, mention it to a member of the cleaning staff the next morning and asked her to report it to the management. I got little sleep that night and wanted to make sure that the next occupant did not have the same problem. In hindsight I should have asked for another room.
Would I go back to the hotel? Absolutely!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
PrinceMba, General Manager at Hampton Inn Richmond South, responded to this review, February 3, 2012
I am very motivated when I hear from our wonderful guests about their experiences during stays in our beautiful hotel.Thanks for your kind words about my team, and we will forever cherish it.However,I am sorry to hear about the road noise.I am not sure when you will be in our area again.The reason being that,I will love to meet with you and family.I will supprise you.Thanks for the opportunity to serve your beautiful family.

Prince Clement Mba

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Disputanta, Virginia
Reviewed November 3, 2011

As a frequent traveler I have higher expectation of a hotel stay than most. Upon arrival at Hampton Inn Bells Road I was very pleased with the welcome smiles of the front desk staff, the warm and friendly manager Clement Mba, and the beautiful purple and black color scheme in the lobby. I felt safe, welcome, and the best part it was a fair price for such a wonderful nights sleep. This hotel is just off of the interstate 95, located within walking distance of a gas station and restaurant, and the friendliest hotel I have stayed at yet. Clean room, big towels, plenty of hot water, free wi-fi, and a friendly staff. The manager Clement and the maintenance man Tommy made me feel like I was at home, a task that is not easy when you travel as much as I do. The breakfast was hot and fully stocked. I have to say it was an amazing stay and I have no doubt in my mind that this will be a top hotel on my list for a very long time.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank SaraP120
PrinceMba, General Manager at Hampton Inn Richmond South, responded to this review, November 18, 2011
I am very pleased to hear about your great experiences with us during your recent stay.For sure our primary objective to every guest is to welcome them with great hospitality and warnness.I am glad that you felt homely with my staff member during your stay.Thank you very much and we love having you here.Please,let me know when next you will be visiting our Richmond area again.You are always welcome to stop by for breakfast.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed October 6, 2011

This is not the best Hampton Inn, but not the worst either. It is convenient, right off of I-95 once you are south of downtown Richmond. They have a larger area for eating breakfast, but on 3 recent stays with a convention group, they had a hard time keeping hot breakfast items "in stock" for everyone. It is near the Phillip Morris factory and is not a scenic area, but has a Subway right next to the parking lot. Easy for families to feed everyone semi-healthy on the cheap.

Room Tip: Try to get a room on the opposite side from I-95!
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank Barbara H
Princemba, General Manager at Hampton Inn Richmond South, responded to this review, November 3, 2011
I want use this opportunity to thank you for your recent stay in our beautiful hotel.Even though that you did not fully enjoy your entire stay.My staff and I are saddened to hear of such experience. For this reason, I want to extend a complimentary one night stay to you and your family during your next visit to the Richmond area.This will hopefully give us the opportunity to showcase our true Hamptonality.We love having you here.

Prince Clement Mba
Hampton inn,Richmond south
Orchard Park, New York
Reviewed August 9, 2011

Extremely clean hotel lobby,restrooms, room was spotless, pleasant workers, delicious, hot breakfast, fast and efficient service
Very nice hotel, would definitely recommend to our family & friends traveling on I-95
very reasonably priced rates

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
We are very fortunate to hear great things from you about our beautiful hotel during your recent stay.We are looking forward to serving you again in the near future.Once again,thank you for the kind words,and wishing you the very best.

Maine
Reviewed July 26, 2011

The Hampton Inn Richmond South is a wonderful new looking facility. It has the same features as all good Hampton Inn’s and has a great front desk staff. I would give the hotel an overall rating of 3 out of 5 stars however based on the following caveats:

1. The hotel is located on a noisy street with lots of truck traffic and youngsters that drive by with loud booming bass coming from their cars. There is also a loud Subway sandwich shop directly on the south side of the property that is a late night hangout for teens. Based on this it is quieter on the northwest side of the hotel facing the highway rather than the street, regardless of floor level.

2. Daily linen and towels changes are on an opt-in system. Unless one specifically requests clean linen and towels the bed will be made with old linen and towels hung up to dry rather than replaced. This was not advertised well and I did not see anything about it until my linen was not changed after my first night. While this “saves energy and resources” I believe participation in such programs should be a positive response for participation. Additionally even though I asked for clean linen I never received it for three days even upon request of housekeeping and the front desk. Everyone was polite and apologetic, but there was always and excuse and my bed linens were not changed nor was I offered fresh linen to change the bed myself. Fortunately I shower each night before getting into bed.

3. Showering however was not easy either. The shower heads are positioned so high, and the water pressure so low that by the time the water falls to reach my body (I am six feet tall) it has dispersed so much from the shower head that I could never really get wet, rinse, or feel it as anything other than luke warm to cold. Being that I stayed there for over a week I purchased a cheap shower head and replaced the WaterPik Shower Massage. This increased the water pressure enough to use the shower. (There is no bath.)

4. The TV system is not high definition and although it is a flat widescreen television the picture is stretched and distorted to fit the screen. Even if the picture size is adjusted from the remote, it goes back to stretched each time the channel is changed. It also takes close to ten seconds to change the channel. This is not a place to watch TV or channel surf, nor is there a guide (written or electronic) for finding channels or networks.

5. In my room the light over the mirror in the bathroom went out on my first night there. It was reported to the front desk first thing the next morning. Each day I was assured it would be repaired the next but it took four days to get it fixed. I was offered another room but I had moved in for the week and with the promise of repair the next day (each day) so I saw no point to the inconvenience of moving.

Now that I am aware of these things I would stay at the Hampton Inn Richmond South again as I would be prepared. Had I known this ahead of time I would have been able to have dealt with the first three of the five difficulties I encountered.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
5 Thank Maineguy0001
I read closely all your comments and have taken great measures to implement many suggestions you listed in your review.I am honored to serve you and your family.Hopefully,we will have another opportunity to have breakfast with you and your beautiful family.I remembered having a word with you.Thank you again for the opportunity to serve.

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed May 9, 2011

Room 102 had lovely décor and a silk orchid and vibrant picture added the perfect touch to the room. There was even a laptop lap desk. Loved the walk in shower. The room also had a mini fridge, microwave, coffeemaker and iron/board. Complimentary internet, all day coffee/tea and fresh baked cookies were a nice bonus. There is a fitness centre and a lovely indoor pool. The complimentary breakfast was very nice and the décor of the breakfast room was beautiful. Friendly staff. The only downfall was the lack of restaurants and shopping in the immediate area.

Room Tip: Visit the Virginia Visitors Centre
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Usually you hear from a guest with bad experiences and this we are humbled to hear about your excellent stay with us at Hampton Inn,Richmond south.It is my pleasure to welcome you again.We love having you here.

Vancouver, Washington
Reviewed February 21, 2011

Excellent rooms. Comfortable bed, clean room, good TV with lots of channels, free WI-FI.
Not immediately close to very many restaurants, but a couple of miles down the freeway, there were plenty of choices. Hotel staff is very helpful and friendly. Nice pool and fitness room. Refer in room.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
SVadgama, General Manager at Hampton Inn Richmond South, responded to this review, February 22, 2011
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you so much for staying at Hampton Inn Richmond South. We are delighted that you had a pleasant and enjoyable stay at our hotel. We strive to provide clean and comfortable rooms with a wide array of amenities including On the House Full Hot Breakfast, complimentary WIFI, state-of-the-art fitness center, inviting perfect mix lobby as well as relaxing ambience in our heated indoor pool. I am particularly pleased to read that you found several dining options within a short drive from our location. During your next visit to Richmond, be sure to check out eclectic collections of dining in the historic downtown, just minutes from our hotel.

Once again, thank you so much for your lovely comments about our hotel and service. We really appreciate it.