“Great Value- Fantastic Staff”

Hampton Inn Richmond South
Ranked #28 of 82 Hotels in Richmond
Reviewed November 3, 2011

As a frequent traveler I have higher expectation of a hotel stay than most. Upon arrival at Hampton Inn Bells Road I was very pleased with the welcome smiles of the front desk staff, the warm and friendly manager Clement Mba, and the beautiful purple and black color scheme in the lobby. I felt safe, welcome, and the best part it was a fair price for such a wonderful nights sleep. This hotel is just off of the interstate 95, located within walking distance of a gas station and restaurant, and the friendliest hotel I have stayed at yet. Clean room, big towels, plenty of hot water, free wi-fi, and a friendly staff. The manager Clement and the maintenance man Tommy made me feel like I was at home, a task that is not easy when you travel as much as I do. The breakfast was hot and fully stocked. I have to say it was an amazing stay and I have no doubt in my mind that this will be a top hotel on my list for a very long time.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank SaraP120
PrinceMba, General Manager at Hampton Inn Richmond South, responded to this reviewResponded November 18, 2011

I am very pleased to hear about your great experiences with us during your recent stay.For sure our primary objective to every guest is to welcome them with great hospitality and warnness.I am glad that you felt homely with my staff member during your stay.Thank you very much and we love having you here.Please,let me know when next you will be visiting our Richmond area again.You are always welcome to stop by for breakfast.

Reviewed October 6, 2011

This is not the best Hampton Inn, but not the worst either. It is convenient, right off of I-95 once you are south of downtown Richmond. They have a larger area for eating breakfast, but on 3 recent stays with a convention group, they had a hard time keeping hot breakfast items "in stock" for everyone. It is near the Phillip Morris factory and is not a scenic area, but has a Subway right next to the parking lot. Easy for families to feed everyone semi-healthy on the cheap.

Room Tip: Try to get a room on the opposite side from I-95!
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank Barbara H
Princemba, General Manager at Hampton Inn Richmond South, responded to this reviewResponded November 3, 2011

I want use this opportunity to thank you for your recent stay in our beautiful hotel.Even though that you did not fully enjoy your entire stay.My staff and I are saddened to hear of such experience. For this reason, I want to extend a complimentary one night stay to you and your family during your next visit to the Richmond area.This will hopefully give us the opportunity to showcase our true Hamptonality.We love having you here.

Prince Clement Mba
Hampton inn,Richmond south

Reviewed August 9, 2011

Extremely clean hotel lobby,restrooms, room was spotless, pleasant workers, delicious, hot breakfast, fast and efficient service
Very nice hotel, would definitely recommend to our family & friends traveling on I-95
very reasonably priced rates

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family

We are very fortunate to hear great things from you about our beautiful hotel during your recent stay.We are looking forward to serving you again in the near future.Once again,thank you for the kind words,and wishing you the very best.

Reviewed July 26, 2011

The Hampton Inn Richmond South is a wonderful new looking facility. It has the same features as all good Hampton Inn’s and has a great front desk staff. I would give the hotel an overall rating of 3 out of 5 stars however based on the following caveats:

1. The hotel is located on a noisy street with lots of truck traffic and youngsters that drive by with loud booming bass coming from their cars. There is also a loud Subway sandwich shop directly on the south side of the property that is a late night hangout for teens. Based on this it is quieter on the northwest side of the hotel facing the highway rather than the street, regardless of floor level.

2. Daily linen and towels changes are on an opt-in system. Unless one specifically requests clean linen and towels the bed will be made with old linen and towels hung up to dry rather than replaced. This was not advertised well and I did not see anything about it until my linen was not changed after my first night. While this “saves energy and resources” I believe participation in such programs should be a positive response for participation. Additionally even though I asked for clean linen I never received it for three days even upon request of housekeeping and the front desk. Everyone was polite and apologetic, but there was always and excuse and my bed linens were not changed nor was I offered fresh linen to change the bed myself. Fortunately I shower each night before getting into bed.

3. Showering however was not easy either. The shower heads are positioned so high, and the water pressure so low that by the time the water falls to reach my body (I am six feet tall) it has dispersed so much from the shower head that I could never really get wet, rinse, or feel it as anything other than luke warm to cold. Being that I stayed there for over a week I purchased a cheap shower head and replaced the WaterPik Shower Massage. This increased the water pressure enough to use the shower. (There is no bath.)

4. The TV system is not high definition and although it is a flat widescreen television the picture is stretched and distorted to fit the screen. Even if the picture size is adjusted from the remote, it goes back to stretched each time the channel is changed. It also takes close to ten seconds to change the channel. This is not a place to watch TV or channel surf, nor is there a guide (written or electronic) for finding channels or networks.

5. In my room the light over the mirror in the bathroom went out on my first night there. It was reported to the front desk first thing the next morning. Each day I was assured it would be repaired the next but it took four days to get it fixed. I was offered another room but I had moved in for the week and with the promise of repair the next day (each day) so I saw no point to the inconvenience of moving.

Now that I am aware of these things I would stay at the Hampton Inn Richmond South again as I would be prepared. Had I known this ahead of time I would have been able to have dealt with the first three of the five difficulties I encountered.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled on business
5  Thank Maineguy0001

I read closely all your comments and have taken great measures to implement many suggestions you listed in your review.I am honored to serve you and your family.Hopefully,we will have another opportunity to have breakfast with you and your beautiful family.I remembered having a word with you.Thank you again for the opportunity to serve.

Reviewed May 9, 2011

Room 102 had lovely décor and a silk orchid and vibrant picture added the perfect touch to the room. There was even a laptop lap desk. Loved the walk in shower. The room also had a mini fridge, microwave, coffeemaker and iron/board. Complimentary internet, all day coffee/tea and fresh baked cookies were a nice bonus. There is a fitness centre and a lovely indoor pool. The complimentary breakfast was very nice and the décor of the breakfast room was beautiful. Friendly staff. The only downfall was the lack of restaurants and shopping in the immediate area.

Room Tip: Visit the Virginia Visitors Centre
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple

Usually you hear from a guest with bad experiences and this we are humbled to hear about your excellent stay with us at Hampton Inn,Richmond south.It is my pleasure to welcome you again.We love having you here.

Reviewed February 21, 2011

Excellent rooms. Comfortable bed, clean room, good TV with lots of channels, free WI-FI.
Not immediately close to very many restaurants, but a couple of miles down the freeway, there were plenty of choices. Hotel staff is very helpful and friendly. Nice pool and fitness room. Refer in room.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled on business
SVadgama, General Manager at Hampton Inn Richmond South, responded to this reviewResponded February 22, 2011

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you so much for staying at Hampton Inn Richmond South. We are delighted that you had a pleasant and enjoyable stay at our hotel. We strive to provide clean and comfortable rooms with a wide array of amenities including On the House Full Hot Breakfast, complimentary WIFI, state-of-the-art fitness center, inviting perfect mix lobby as well as relaxing ambience in our heated indoor pool. I am particularly pleased to read that you found several dining options within a short drive from our location. During your next visit to Richmond, be sure to check out eclectic collections of dining in the historic downtown, just minutes from our hotel.

Once again, thank you so much for your lovely comments about our hotel and service. We really appreciate it.

Reviewed December 7, 2010

Where to begin!? Like other reviewers said, noise from 95 is unreal, and I'm not a light sleeper and I wasn't even on the side of the building facing I95!

Front desk girl literally walked away during check in to go clock out and leave! The other kid who was there was on the phone and had no clue what was going on when he got off the phone. Not his fault by all means, but who the hell trained that girl!?

King bed room only had 2 pillows, which isn't a Hilton standard. There were only bath towels, no hand or wash cloths, floors had not been vaccumed and bathroom floors looked dirty. When we went to the front desk to get towels and a extra pillow the young man from the front desk was joking around with what seemed to be a friend, not a guest in the business center. Can we say UNPROFESSIONAL!?

The only "okay" part of the trip was the breakfast lady who gave my 3 year old some crayons- although she never even spoke to us.

This hotel has a ton of issues. Just because a hotel is brand new and "modern" does not, in anyway, make it nice.

Don't waste your money!

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank JustAScallyWag
SVadgama, Manager at Hampton Inn Richmond South, responded to this reviewResponded January 25, 2011

Thank you for bringing your concerns to our attention. I am sorry to hear that your stay was less than your expectation and offer you my profound apology. The noise from the road that affacted your sleep was largely due to some pot holes on one section of the road. You will be amazed to hear that our rooms facing the I-95 are very quiet and comfortable. Furthermore, our ipod compatible alarm clock radios also feature soothing nature sounds for pleasant and restful sleep.

We have recently undergone intensive training with all of our associates to ensure that we maintain the highest standards and deliver impeccable guest service that you come to expect from a Hilton brand of hotels. I assure you we have received positive feedbacks from our guests as a result. Thank you for sharing your concerns and we hope that you will give us another opportunity in the very near future