“Excellent service & food-much better than expected”
Review of Gibson's Grill - CLOSED

Gibson's Grill
Cuisines: American
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed January 17, 2011

We were in town for a concert at the National, a music venue next door to Gibson's. You can get early entry into the National by purchasing at least $10 in food per person which was our main reason for eating here. I had read previous Tripadvisor reviews and was not expecting anything above average. Wow, I was pleasantly surprised.
There was a short wait for an upstairs table, so we went to the downstairs bar to order food. We were met by a very attentive and friendly bartender who made some recommendations and took our order. We were surprised at how quickly the food came out to us. We ordered a grilled chicken caesar salad $9.95, a crab cake sandwich $9.50 and the queso styx $6.95. All selections were large in portion and very nicely presented. My chicken caesar salad was the best I'd ever tasted anywhere and I loved the fresh shaved parmesan. The chicken was moist and flavorful-not dry at all. The monstrous crab cake sandwich was devoured in a matter of minutes by my husband who said it was perfect. The queso styx looked like mozzerella sticks, but were filled w/ queso cheese sauce served with salsa and jalapenos. We were unable to eat all of our meal and disappointed we couldn't carry the remainder out to go (due to attending the concert).
After the concert we decided to sample more of Gibson's food and order take out. Once again, we were greeted by another very friendly bartender at the upstairs bar who took our second order of the night. This time we ordered the Gibson nachos $8.95, grilled mini lamb burgers $8.95 and bruschetta caprese $7.95. In under 15 minutes our food was bagged and ready to take back to the hotel. The mini lamb burgers were a version of sliders with delicious fennel tzatziki and balsamic tomatoes-excellent. They came with homemade potato chips. They had a unique flavor. The scrumptous bruschetta caprese was outstanding with just the right amount of toppings. The nachos were good, but one of those items that would have been better eaten fresh from the kitchen. The portion was large enough for a party of four to share.
If we are ever in Richmond and need to grab a bite to eat, we know where we can go for a very postive dining experience.

There are newer reviews for Gibson's Grill

Reviewed October 27, 2010

My husband and I always eat at Gibson's Grill when we are in Richmond to see a show at the National (Gibson's is located directly next door to the venue and offers early entry to a show if you spend 10 bucks on food). We have tried almost everything on the menu and the only decent thing we've ever eaten here is the basic hamburger. Chicken dishes are overcooked (even in the quesadilla's chicken was dry and hard to chew), the appetizers are just ordinary pub grub, and the pizzas are doughy and not very flavorful. Drinks are overpriced, but they can make a good dirty martini. The atmosphere is fun and hip, but the food needs some work.

The wait staff talks about their customers at the wait station which is located right next to the bathrooms, so if you're in the bathroom, you can hear them ragging on the diners. Not very professional, but they are nice to their customer's faces. Overall, there are better places to dine in Richmond, believe me. Only go to Gibson's if you want to get in early to a show at the National.

Reviewed May 6, 2010

Gibson’s is located right next door to The National Theatre, and it is the perfect place to grab some beers and appetizers before a concert there. The service was excellent. We sat at the bar and the bartender was extremely pleasant. We went with wings and fried oysters. Both items were great. The gentleman next to us ordered a meal and he commented on how good his food was. The décor was very cool. I will definitely go back and I highly recommend the restaurant.

Reviewed January 24, 2010

This restaurant received two better than average reviews in local media in early 2009. Its owner has a strong track record with his other venues: Three Monkeys, Kitchen 64, Kuba Kuba, etc. The reviews were a bit mixed but the location was right so we thought we would give it a try. The venue is suppose to have a rock-n-roll theme going with its location next to The National. I would say that theme is minimal- a few decorations and signs put up on the wall with some rock music piped throughout. The decor is nothing special and the chairs at the tables upstairs looked a bit uncomfortable. But the real story is that the food is just average at best. The calamari was small with only a lightly drizzled sauce over it. The breading was light, which was okay but it was uninspired. Our son had the white cheese pizza. It looked like it had come from a frozen kit. I had the Asiago tortellini. The pasta was overcooked and somewhat bland. Considering how fast our food came out I would suspect that the pasta had been prepared well beforehand and was sitting around. There is really no way it could have been cooked with such speed, along with cooking a pizza that fast. The food at Kuba Kuba and Kitchen 64 is far better than Gibson's Grill. This restaurant though has the similar casual feel and theme of these other restaurants and so many others in town (mainly in The Fan). If you are looking for fast and something most children will be fine with then this is your place downtown- although I'd recommend Tarrant's more for the same atmosphere and options but also offering highly quality at the upper end of entrees.

Reviewed October 23, 2009

I ate here twice for lunch. Had both the Cuban and the jerk chicken sandwiches. Both were tasty. Others in my party were pleased with the french onion soup and the seafood bisque. Definitely a good spot near the convention center.