“Initially disappointing, but then there was the surprise...”

Emilio's Restaurante Espanol
Ranked #910 of 1,644 Restaurants in Richmond
Cuisines: Spanish
Reviewed April 17, 2013

Let me begin by saying that my husband and I were great fans of Emilio's at Short Pump, and we're very sorry when it closed! So on a trip,last weekend, we decided to try Emilio's in the city. Smaller Spanish menu, really just a bar, but heck, we were game and decided to try it. Food was pretty awful, no, really awful, from start to finish. But as we sat there to finish our drinks, an odd thing happened. One by one there were guys with musical instruments sort of meandering in. Over time, there appeared to be about 15 or so folks who just stopped by to jam. And boy, did they! Good, old-fashioned free-form jamming' jazz. Just amazing! So, let me end by saying this...don't go for the food, you will be disappointed. But, if you are out and about in Carytown or the Fan on a friday night, by all means stop by after you eat somewhere else. The music won't disappoint!

1  Thank Roanokefoodie

Reviewed March 29, 2012

Looks like a dive, smells like a dive, sounds like a dive, inside and outside. Seems like the destination for the seedy part of the neighborhood to waste their evenings. But... the menu! Bruschetta, shrimp, cod, with heavy doses of garlic and good vegetables leave you with a little taste of Barcelona. I couldn't make it past the tapas to the paella or past my happy hour glass of wine to anything more involved, but I was happy with what I tasted. I suppose if I found myself in that neighborhood looking for tasty food and extremely casual atmosphere, I'd drop in again...

Reviewed December 31, 2011

Went to try the tapas. Walked in and could see the chef in the kitchen picking his nose right over the stove and counter that holds foods. I said something to the waitstaff about it and they did not seem to care. That chef left as we were deciding to just have drinks. Another chef came in and we ordered the crab empanadas. They were soggy, greasy and pure awful and filled with something that cleary was not much crab. It appeared to have no crab. My friend and I shared it and spent the next two days with diarhhea.

Reviewed April 26, 2011

Went on a Friday night to listen to the jazz it was a great time. Despite the other reviews we wanted to try it as there's not too many places with live jazz, Richmond is non-smoking now so smoke was not an issue. We weren't going to order food but the waitress brought us a menu and helped figure out some great tapas. The tapas didn't seem like your typcial small american plates that every other restuarant is doing but real spanish tapas. The menu is a bit overwhelming but the wait staff was very helpful. There seemed to be something for everyone.

The jazz was great to listen to and the band did a great job entertaining the entire place... towards the end of the night the main singer went around and had everyone participate in her closing song. HIGHLY ENTERTAINING!! The decor was lacking a little but the people and music made up for it!!

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Reviewed July 5, 2009

Best thing: Paella! Worst thing: smoke. Next worst things: the rest of the food we ordered. Service was ok.

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook