“Ignore the weird negative reviews.........This place is great and TOTALLY better than 2 Hampton Inns that we stopped at”

HYATT House Richmond-West
Ranked #5 of 82 Hotels in Richmond
Reviewed December 24, 2013

Wife and I spen two nights at this hotel and wished we had booked more after our next experience in Charlottesville at the "iffy" Hampton Inn there (see review elsewhere). You cannot get a better bargain and value for your money than this hotel that is located at the back of a huge (for us in OBX) mall. The breakfast is inconvarable with other "hotel chains" and includes cooked to order omelets and even good "clotted" eggs that most call scrambled. and at least two of a possible three meats of ham/bacon/sausage.
Compared to Hampton Inn that we often stay at this place is a 10 compared to a 4. (SHAME).

VERY IMPORTANT HINT: The hotel is not easy to find as others have said and we found that true after dark...........By GPS you will find and see the Cheesecake Factory in a very large mall parking area; enter mall and keep going in a clockwise direction and you will see Macy's...and finally Dick's Sporting Goods..........the hotel is next to and adjoins Dicks and you will see it clearly when you spot the Dillards sign. Good luck and enjoy this good hotel

Room Tip: All rooms are good.............enjoy
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
HhRichmondGM, General Manager at HYATT House Richmond-West, responded to this reviewResponded December 31, 2013

Dear OBXRon,
Thank you so much for choosing to stay with us here at the property and for giving us a five star review. We really appreciate all of the wonderful comments that you made about the hotel and we will be sure to share with our staff members. We hope that you will come back and stay with us again next time you are in the area because we would certainly love to have you back! Hopefully on your next trip you will be able to stay for more than just one night, so you can enjoy everything that we have to offer. Again, thank you for your wonderful review and we hope to see you soon!

Reviewed December 11, 2013

My company sent me here for 4 weeks on business and I didn't mind one bit! It felt like home away from home here. The Hyatt House rooms are very modern and cozy... my room had a King size bed (which was awesome!!!), it had a full kitchenette with everything you need to spend a few weeks away from home. I'm very picky about the bathrooms in hotesl and mine was perfect, it had a walk in shower and lots of storage for my high maintenance-self! The room had a small lounge area as well as a desk to get my work done. The one day I was there we were hit with a storm and the kitchen closed as well as most of the surrounding restaurants, the staff was nice enough to offer sandwiches to the remaining guests who were stranded for the day there... it was so nice!

One of my favorte parts of this hotel is that it is connected to SHORT PUMP town center... On the nights I didnt have anything to do I would just step out of the hotel, grab some coffee from Starbucks and do some shopping at: Crate & Barrel, Banana Republic, H&M, Nordstrom... the list goes on. The restaurants in the shopping center also offer room service to the hotel so you dont even need to leave your room to get delicious food from Bakers Crust, California Pizza Kitchen, etc.

The Hotel has a pool/jacuzzi area, it was too cold to enjoy when I was there but its beautiful! They have a fire pit set up with soft lounge chairs and beds, they had that one every night when I was there.

The Hyatt House offers a hot breakfast bar with many drink and food options... from grits, to sausage, to eggs and cereal. They have an amazing omelette station too, one of their attendants takes your order and has it ready within 3 minutes!

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
HhRichmondGM, General Manager at HYATT House Richmond-West, responded to this reviewResponded December 13, 2013

Hi Aparchuk,
I am so excited to hear how much you enjoyed your 4 week stay here with us at HYATT house. Our goal is to make our long term guests feel at home while they are here and it sounds like we achieved this goal with you. We appreciate you taking the time to write a review and letting us and others know what great amenities the hotel has on property and in the area. Thank you for the 5 star review. We hope to see you in the future again soon!

Reviewed December 9, 2013

We had an office party at this location this month. Total bust. Spent over $15k on it.
The Pros-
DJ was great- however this was not provided by the hotel.
Guest rooms are great!- very modern, nice and upscale. Nice if you are there for a night.

Con's- where to start....
In my experience- total let down.
The menu- Traditional Holiday menu\
The beef was basically raw. I liked it, but I like raw beef. My date wanted no part of it.
The sides were atrocious. We had requested a mashed potato bar- they served boxed mashed potatoes!! Seriously, local fast food chains have way better mashed potatoes (and while they are probably out of a box, at least you can't tell!)
The "sage stuffing"- wonder bread served alone has 10 times more flavor. I am not kidding. At all.
The bar scene- they ran out of bourbon within roughly one hour of our 5 hour bar. The bartenders did the best they could with what they were given.
The staff- the party planner was great, so it would seem. The bar staff was nice, but overwhelmed from the beginning. We actually had less people than we had planned on, and the staff struggled all night. We have a young crew that works hard and we wanted to reward them, and this was made extremely clear to the party planner.
The night manager- in my opinion, this guy would not be suitable for managing a night shift at an extremely slow convenience store in the middle of nowhere, much less a "high end" hotel in Richmond. He was abusive to the guests, and even called the police after some of them gathered in a room after they shut down the bar prior to what was called for in the contract. In 10 plus years of going to and planning these holiday parties, I have never once seen anyone in "management" act remotely close to this. One of the most unprofessional things I have ever witnessed.
Final verdict- In my opinion, this place is fine if you want a quiet, nicely appointed room next to a big mall. If you are looking to have a fun time with your office and a holiday party, I would recommend you stay far, far, far, far, far away.
I could say a lot more about this event, but I will withhold my tongue. But I cannot stress enough that out of the many events I have gone to and planned for our office, in my opinion you would be better served going to a local kids chain that serves pizza and beer and is used to people having fun, than in holding an event here.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
HhRichmondGM, General Manager at HYATT House Richmond-West, responded to this reviewResponded December 12, 2013

Dear Tim H,
I am so sorry you were disappointed in your event and apologize for your unfortunate experience. This is highly uncharacteristic of HYATT House, as we pride ourselves in quality and customer service and that was truly not our intention. We were a little surprised to see such a negative assessment regarding your holiday party as the feedback we received after the party from the planners who worked with the hotel directly stated the following “Over all the party was great. Our guests very much liked the atmosphere of the party as well as their rooms.”

The party guests did, unfortunately, reach a level of disturbance and we had to get our local police involved to help resolve the situation. I apologize if you were upset, embarrassed or humiliated and did not agree with the way my management team handled the situation. We value all of our guest’s time spent at our hotel and sometimes we have to take control and do what is necessary so we do not offend any of our other hotel guests. I am sure you can understand this and realize that it is by state law and company policy our duty to protect our staff, those guests attending the party and the additional guests in the hotel.

Nonetheless, we appreciate your feedback. It will certainly help us identify any weak spots and will surely help us as we strive to provide the very best service. I hope you do not judge the entire company on this one experience. We have already spoken to a few contacts within your company regarding this matter and our position was accepted; however feel free to reach out to me anytime if you would like to discuss further.

Reviewed November 30, 2013

I just left the Hyatt House after a two week stay while I relocate to the Richmond area. I cant give this hotel enough great reviews. It was an extremely pleasant stay from beginning to end and this experience has spoiled me for future trips. I had a studio king room, which had soft sateen bedding and comfy pillows. The decor was fresh and modern, with dark wood, granite countertops and a stainless steel full size fridge and mini microwave. My only gripe about the room was there is the shower door. It does not cover the entire length of the shower, so no matter how hard you try, water still gets on the floor. That however is minor compared to my overall experience. The fitness room was a little dimly lit, but had the equipment that you would expect from a hotel - treadmill, bike, etc. These were upgraded with monitors to watch tv aside from the flatscreen on the wall. The I didnt use the pool, however the area was a nice size and with a fire pit nearby. The breakfast was delicious everyday with hot items like pancakes, oatmeal, grits, french toast, ham and bacon that would rotate daily and the everyday staples including potatoes and eggs. There was also an omelet station and cold items and pastries. The staff in the breakfast bar was always friendly and helpful. The room was quiet and I had no problems with noise or other disturbances. I would undoubtedly return to this hotel and will look for other Hyatt Houses in my travels. The area of SHort Pump and an endless amount of retail and restaurants and the hotel itself is adjoined to a very nice outdoor mall. You will not be disappointed with your stay here - it is top notch!

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
HhRichmondGM, General Manager at HYATT House Richmond-West, responded to this reviewResponded December 2, 2013

Dear FrouLaLa,
We are so pleased that you were able to make our home your home. We appreciate and thank you so much for your positive feedback on the hotel. We love to hear feedback from our guests about their stays at our property! We are so happy that you found the bedding and the decor comfortable and modern and that you were able to relax during your transition to Richmond. We sincerely apologize about the shower; it is something that we are actively seeking a solution to. Again, thank you so much for your feedback. We sincerely hope that you will visit and let us "spoil" you again.

Reviewed November 26, 2013

This was my first experience at a Hyatt House property. The property is very nice in look, design and feel. The staff was very helpful and knowledgeable of the amenities and also local area.

The rooms are very spacious with small kitchenette area, full size refrig and microwave. Plenty of desk space to work or dine. Very nice living room area with large couch and ottoman. TV placement was awesome to that it could be viewed easily from the living area, bed area or desk area.

Large bathroom with very nice glass shower. Probably the most impressive feature was a circular hole cut in the glass shower for you to reach in and turn on the water without having to step into the shower and get blasted with either extreme temperature water. Something I honestly have never thought of, but wish I had at home. Definitely goes to show the thought put into the design of these rooms.

The lobby bar is nice, but a little small. Also, service can be slow, if it is crowded. No fault of the bartender, as she was working alone and doing her best. She was very responsive and made sure to keep checking in to let me know she would be back to me as soon as she could.

The food is good to. I ordered off the bar menu and found the food to be cooked well and tasty. Nothing to fancy, but a good meal if you get in late and most options outside are closed.

I would recommend this property, especially for extended night stays.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business

Dear Lv2CtheWorld,
Thank you so much for staying at our property during your visit to Richmond! We appreciate all of your positive feedback about the staff here at the hotel, and we will be sure to share your comments with all of our team members. We are so happy that you enjoyed the layout of your room and that you were able to relax during your stay with us. Thank you again for staying with us and taking the time out of your schedule to write us such a wonderful review. We hope that you will stay with us again soon.

Reviewed November 3, 2013

I stayed in this hotel in April 2013, and am just realizing I never wrote a review about it. I continue to compare other hotels I stay at to this Hyatt House since I had such a great experience. The lobby was gorgeousand the complimentary breakfast served there (there's an omelette station ♥) was really good. We stayed in a studio suite. It was spacious and furnished beautifully. The TV worked great, our beds were very comfortable, the bathroom was clean, and as a whole... an A+ experience. The location is also very convenient, since you can walk anywhere in Short Pump. Though the hotel is located in the parking lot of the actual Short Pump town center, I still felt that i had plenty of privacy and didn't hear any noise. (An added bonus was that this hotel wasn't even too expensive compared to the quality!)

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
HhRichmondGM, Manager at HYATT House Richmond-West, responded to this reviewResponded November 19, 2013

Good Afternoon,

Thank you so much for taking the time, all these months later, to write us such a wonderful review. We always appreciate our guest's feedback and love to share it with the team. I am so glad to hear how much you enjoyed our fabulous breakfast and omelet station! It is certainly a highlight of the hotel.

We look forward to welcoming you again next time you are in Richmond!

Jessica Engle
Assistant General Manager

Reviewed October 28, 2013

Our family stayed for 3 nights and we really enjoyed the room and the amenities. The breakfast was wonderful, and our server whose name I can't recall was SO friendly. (Long hair in a pony tail and a woman in her 50's).
We loved the style of the rooms, found them very comfortable. And we adored the lobby area where we could meet and greet, have a drink with friends etc. As a frequent business traveller, I wish the cities I visit had a Hyatt House!

Room Tip: Rooms by the pool view are great!
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
HhRichmondGM, General Manager at HYATT House Richmond-West, responded to this reviewResponded October 30, 2013

Hi Peggy H,
Sounds like you had a fabulous 3 day trip to the property while in town for a wedding. I'm so happy to hear you enjoyed the hotel and all of our wonderful amenties. The breakfast hostess you encountered was Marty and we are truly blessed to have her working for us. She brings many smiles out each morning. Thank you for taking time to write such a great review and we hope to see you again in the future.