“Great Stay!”

HYATT House Richmond-West
Ranked #5 of 82 Hotels in Richmond
Reviewed July 24, 2012

My husband and I really enjoyed our stay here. The hotel is in a great location right next to the Short Pump mall. There are plenty of restaurant options and lots of shopping. The hotel is very modern, too. Check in was a breeze, with very friendly hotel staff. The room was clean, very comfortable, and made you want to stay a while. Our floor was mostly quiet for the exception of a few noisy groups, but it didn't affect our sleep since we had a suite. There was a pair of doors that partitioned the bedroom off from the sitting area. The suite itself had pretty much everything you'd need: refrigerator, dishes, dishwasher, stove, sink, sofa bed, two TVs, plenty of mirrors and lighting, comfortable bed, dresser, ample closet space and a roomy vanity space and toilet/shower area. The shower was very chic, but not that functional seeing that half of the shower had no door. If you didn’t put a towel down, the floor would get wet. The toiletries were awesome! The elevators are super slow, which can be a bit annoying. The gym is functional, but small. There are treadmills, ellipticals, weights, an exercise bike, TV, water, and cool towels. One of the treadmills was broken. All other machines made a horrible squeaking noise when operational, and seemed like they would fall apart. It was distracting when working out. We didn't utilize the pool or fire pit areas, but they looked well-kept and clean. The business center was great, and all computers were fast and fully operational. You could even print documents from your wireless device in your room and have it ready downstairs. A fully stocked snack area by the front desk was useful for a quick snack. There weren't many options, but what was there was decent. I also enjoyed the ability to charge the items to my room instead of using cash. The breakfast in the morning was average at best. It ends way too early, and what they had available wasn't anything special. Your standard scrambled eggs, sausage, bacon, biscuits, gravy, toast, bagels, and fruit were available along with tea, coffee and cold cereal. I didn't enjoy anything I ate. I saw a hair in the fruit, and the omelet station other reviewers raved about was not available. We saw the ingredients and the tips, but no staff member. Very disappointing. All in all, we had an enjoyable stay, but there are improvements to be made.

Room Tip: Get great deals from www.expedia.com.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank TrvlLover80

Reviewed July 12, 2012

The Hyatt house occupies a nice location at the upscale Short Pump Town Center.

Check in was uneventful and friendly. Our room was a nice size and had all the amenities one would expect. Our room was quiet and the beds were quite comfortable.

The bathroom had the expected amenities (nice shampoo, lotion, soap) including a hair dryer.

The shower tub was very nice. Though I understand why some hotels use them, it's always disappointing to stay at a hotel that uses a "low flow" shower head. Our shower at the hyatt was plenty strong, and there was plenty of hot water.

For dinner, it was a one minute WALK to California Pizza Kitchen, with tons of other restaurants close by. Breakfast at the hotel was included in the price of the room. It featured many typical choices, and you could also get made to order omelettes. Everything at breakfast was very good, and the staff was friendly and efficient.

After dark there is a fire pit to sit around, and the hotel has a nice pool.

Finally, our reservation was on a Priceline bid, and we got a nice room and excellent service. I would gladly stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed July 6, 2012

Compared to other similarly priced chain hotels, this one is stylish to look at. However, style at this price point comes at a cost. While the fixtures and finishes look great, they are not made to last. This is a newly renovated hotel, but many fixtures, handles, etc, were loose or just fell off. It's a combination of made-in China fixtures and poor maintenance. More scheduled maintenance walk-troughs could avoid these irritations, but without them, the hotel will look tattered in a few short years. That said, our stay was pleasant overall. Having two large TVs in the suite was nice, as was the kitchenette. The staff was nice, and the breakfast buffet was better than average at this price point. The location was very convenient to the many new shopping areas in the far west of Richmond, but it is pretty far out from Richmond proper. A car is a must, as the cost of taxis is high. We were surprised that there was no airport shuttle service. Most hotels at this price have them. It was a $60.00 cab ride to the hotel. Ouch! There are a lot of decent chain restaurants located within walking distance.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 4, 2012

When we arrived we discovered that while our client had reserved the meeting room, the reservations for our rooms somehow hadn't been missed and because the hotel was completely full it began to look like we would have to stay at another hotel some distance away. This would have been pretty inconvenient. We were tired from a long journey and by this time were having trouble thinking straight.

Then in stepped Jessica to sort things out. Seeing how tired we were (and because our company was a valued client) she somehow freed up two rooms for us in the hotel and made sure that we had everything we needed for the course the next day.

That was an excellent start. I had the disabled persons' room and it was huge, overlooking the swimming pool and hot tub. It had everything I needed - and more. For some reason, it had a kitchenette area complete with hot plates, crockery and cutlery. Why, I don't know. But it was very comfortable, clean and very welcome.

The hotel itself is situated right on the edge of the mall. I'm normally hopeless at shopping and don't enjoy it but I did here - and that's a first for me. There are some nice restaurants in the mall and more than enough shops to keep you interested for a few days. The whole mall area is clean, modern and safe and the shops are open til 9pm giving you plenty of time to browse after work.

Our meeting room facilities were excellent and nothing was too much trouble - an attitude that seemed to extend from Jessica to the people on the front desk to the young girl cooking omelettes in the morning. Whatever we needed we had. We had a problem with the data projector so Jessica replaced it immediately without any fuss. Our group lunches were delicious and our refreshments right on time throughout. The wireless internet worked seamlessly throughout the hotel and it's refreshing not to be charged extra for it.

I didn't use the pool (I was too busy working, shopping or eating out) but it looked nice and I certainly would do if I went back. It was never very busy despite the hotel being full and there seems to be a relaxed approach to timing with people still in it beyond 10pm.

Breakfast was of a high standard too with perhaps the exception being the coffee. Just about all of the people in my training session made a point of getting coffee from Starbucks a couple of minutes away in the mall so there's an easy alternative.

The only quirk during my stay was the strange disappearance of the glass jug, the cup I used and the plastic bit that holds the filter packs in the coffee machine in my room. They were there on day 1 but got cleared away...and not returned. The coffee was replaced but nothing else. But that didn't stop me - I just improvised :) The funny part is that if I had been bothered to mention it to reception, I know they would have sorted it out immediately but I never got round to it.

The hotel did everything that I could want very well and its location is great for the shops. But for me what really stood out was the 'extra mile' that staff are prepared to go to, Jessica in particular. Not only did she find rooms when the hotel was full, but she also helped organise a hire car for me. When we went to pick the car up during our lunchbreak on the second day, Jessica noticed we weren't at lunch and made a point of keeping back two plates of food for us to make sure we got something to eat.

When you travel a lot on business and stay in a lot of hotels around the world it can be difficult to distinguish between them sometimes. What makes a difference isn't the opulence of the rooms or the hotel lobbies, it's the impression that the people make on you. I'll remember how well Jessica took care of us long after I've forgotten what colour the carpets were.

And it's that quality of service that makes the Hyatt Richmond West deserve 5 stars and makes it a place that I look forward to coming back to.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank tmukau
Reviewed June 29, 2012

Excellent place to stay, great location. Located in a higher end mall, quiter than I thought it would be. We got a corner suite with a tub, very nice. I would give a higher rating for cleanliness but I found a cleaning rag, a pillowcase, on the desk soaked in a blue fluid, ecch, threw out into hallway. That was the only glitch. Would definately stay again.

Room Tip: Get a higher floor room
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 26, 2012

Just visited this hotel site unseen with my husband and two sons (12 and 15). It was everything I hoped it would be. We were visiting an elderly relative so we would be spending time at the property not just sleeping there so to speak. It was clean. The pool and hot tub were crystal clear and clean. They even tested the quality while we were there. That evening my husband and I went back down to the pool area and enjoyed an outdoor gas fire pit. The following morning before departure there was an outstanding breakfast buffet including an omelet station. They had copies of usa today and the wall street journal which I always enjoy in the mornings when I travel as I am generally up before everyone else. Free wi fi. Well worth the price of the room. The area it's in is called Short Pump Towne Centre and it is somewhat attached to a very large upscale mall with shops like J. Crew, Nordstrom and Crate and Barret to name a few. We went to a huge Barnes and Noble where my kids got books for our journey to Jamestown. On our way back we again stopped in this area to meet a relative for lunch. We ate at an incredible deli type restaurant across from the hotel. I'll try to find that name later. The food choices were very fresh and had many healthy options.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the pool
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed June 21, 2012

I don’t normally write reviews for hotels, but I felt compelled to write a review after our stay at Hyatt House Richmond West . At the last minute I was in pursuit of a decent hotel just for a nightly stay to be near the short pump mall (wanted to really be within walking distance so that we could park and not have to get back into the car for our stay).

I found this hotel online while searching and it just exceeded our expectations. It is pretty much a part of the mall complex so we were immediately impressed with the proximity to the mall. We could walk right out the hotel lobby and be at the mall stores within a few steps. The décor was fabulous. Everything had a elegant modern feel. It was visible that the hotel was very new and I didn’t take note of any wear and tear really anywhere. We settled for a studio room given our stay was just for the night and it suited us just fine. What was a nice touch was having a mini kitchen right in the room with 2 burner cooking area, full size fridge, dishes, etc. There was some other nice touches like having a tv that swiveled into the sitting/living area if we wanted to lounge on the couch or swivel to the bed if we wanted to watch from the bed. There was a door between the sink area and the shower area for privacy and a very cool shower that was completely open but with just enough glass to shield the water. I felt like I was at the spa. Overall, the room was just fantastic.

The icing on the cake was the FULL, complimentary breakfast in the morning. I’m talking eggs, French toast, made to order omelets, sausage, bacon, the whole works with a very large dining area. And, its all for free. I love a great deal. Hyatt House of Richmond West is a fantastically great deal!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple