“Hyatt Place - Richmond Airport”

Hyatt Place Richmond Airport
Ranked #28 of 82 Hotels in Richmond
Reviewed April 21, 2013

Decent place to stay for business in the area or for an overnight. Good thing about Hyatt Place's are that for the most part they are pretty good, have big rooms, strong customer service and good breakfast service. This Hyatt Place was no exception. Met my needs for a quick trip to Richmond. Big positive is that it is near multiple shopping destinations as well as restaurant chains making it a good place to stop if driving on I95 with a family. Rooms were good sized with ample room. bathrooms were on the small side. My only complaint about the Hyatt Place in general. Breakfast was very good including Starbucks coffee.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
Sunny A, Manager at Hyatt Place Richmond Airport, responded to this reviewResponded July 8, 2013

Hello Guest,

Thank you for providing us feedback regarding your stay at our hotel. We appreciate your business very much & looking forward to seeing you in the future.

Sunny Amin
Director of Operations.

Reviewed April 3, 2013 via mobile

Newer property with nice spacious rooms. The mattress was a little lumpy but still comfortable. Housekeeping could be better. I woke up every morning around 9 am to find a note from the maid saying my room will not be cleaned unless I called due to the DND sign being up. I can see if it was the afternoon but this is a bit ridiculous in the morning. Maid never left soap or shampoo. Some of the other guest seemed a little strange but I never felt threatened. Free breakfast has many options. Located adjacent to strip mall and I-64.

• Stayed: March 2013
1  Thank R S

Hello Guest,

Please accept my apologies regarding your experience at our Hotel. We recently acquired this hotel in June 2013 & have made improvements in all departments.

Please keep us in mind next time you are travelling to our area.

Sunny Amin
Director of Operations

Reviewed March 31, 2013

The Hyatt was beyond our expectations! Beautiful and very clean facility! Huge rooms and the staff were very accommodating! Can't say enough good things about this hotel!!! It is located right in the heart of the shopping center with lots of food choices nearby as well!

Room Tip: King size rooms only come with showers, the queen rooms have double queens and a pullout sofa with a...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Brandy D
Reviewed March 22, 2013

The Room: I love the layout of the room. There’s a small divider that separates the bedroom from the entertainment area. The TV is both shared between both rooms and sports a 36” flat screen HD TV. There is also a media cluster on the right-side of the TV. The cluster supports USB, HDMI, 15-pin computer monitor connectors. You can hook up your video gaming machine, laptop or portable DVD player to view on the TV. Behind the TV, on the left side, is the office desk. Directly behind the office desk is a small counter with a college refrigerator but no microwave. I like the sectional-type couch and it even has leather covered ottoman. The bed was pretty comfy and has two floating shelves to place your things. The room, overall, has a nice modern feel. Even though the carpet was a bit worn it still looked pretty decent. The sink is outside of the room that has the shower/toilet combo. I like the design of the shower and it is large enough so that your shoulders won’t touch the sides. The glass partition has a smaller one that swivels and gives space to get into the shower. The only downside is that it doesn’t block 100% of the water, which ended up causing a small puddle to form outside of the shower itself.

The Lobby: The lobby was laid out very nicely; seems like the entire interior of the hotel has a nice modern look/feel to it. It has welcome ‘pods’ and not a front desk to check in. Checking in was very efficient and the two young gentlemen were very polite. Behind them is the business office, which held two computers. The office isn’t an actual room but lined in a cove so there’s no privacy to people walking behind you. To the left is the kitchen, it also had a modern layout.
The Area: The hotel is located in huge shopping area and is situated to the left of a major shopping center. Longhorn Steakhouse was just a one minute walk out the front door of the hotel! What else is in the shopping plaza you may ask? Red Lobster, McDonald’s, Dots Fashions, T-Moble, Panera Bread, Michaels, Starbucks, Target, Cracker Barrel, OfficeMax, JCPenney, Sam’s Club, Lowe’s Home Improvement and that’s just in the plaza! Across the street is a Subway, Applebee’s Neighborhood Grill, Teppanyaki Grill and a CiCi’s Pizza. There’s more but you get my drift, if you forget anything at home you can drive a short 2 minute drive to any of these businesses. The hotel is to the far left hand side of the shopping center a bit off by itself but great to have so many places to go so close.

Breakfast Kitchen: I left before they opened so I didn’t eat anything but it looked like the regular hotel hot/cold breakfast items when I glanced that way.

Finding - The hotel was very easy to find and wasn't hidden off the beaten path. I used my cell phone and Google Maps, which took me directly to the front door and also had a photo of the front of the hotel when I arrived. It is extremely close to the airport; 2 miles and I was at the Rental Car Return.

Cons: I can’t really find anything majorly wrong. Carpet was a little beat down in the hall and room but with no padding and lots of guests what do you expect? I did see a small hair near the underside of the sink. Shower doesn’t hold 100% water inside due to modern design. No microwave.

Final Thought: I’d stay in this hotel again in the future without any qualms. The staff is very helpful and nice; the hotel is in great shape and is updated in a modern feel. Rooms are great and the hotel is very close to many, many different types of stores keeping you from having to drive all over the place to purchase things.

1  Thank Injaznito H
Reviewed March 21, 2013

I was there a week with business. The employee's all had attitude the entire time i was there. I asked about more coffee in the morning because both containers were out and i got an eye roll and said in a minute. The next night we asked to get beer at their bar and was told they were out and they were also out of coffee. What kind of hotel runs out of coffee?? I was going to ask to speak to the manager and recieved another eye roll and a "i guess i will go find her". Seriously i would never stay here again. Everyone but the manager and the cleaning crew were rude. Oh and they had 2 elevators but only one worked until friday. They were fixed in time for the weekend but during the week. You had to wait 5 minutes for the thing. Unbelievable.

2  Thank tntleake
Reviewed March 13, 2013

When I arrived on Sunday I was given a room on the 7th floor. Then I found out one elevator was broken. They blamed the soccer team for breaking it. I have read other review that the elevator was broke for them, and there wasn't any soccer team staying. It is now Thursday and it's still broke. Everybody is complaining how long it takes to get an elevator. Also I tried to drink a cup of coffee. When I asked for creamer, I was told they were out, and the truck had not came yet. On Tuesday In my room I only had decaf coffee, I went to the front desk to ask for regular, and I was told they were out, the truck had not came yet. On Wednesday when I got to my room there wasn't ANY coffee left in my room. When I asked the front desk they said they were out, the truck had not came yet. It's Wednesday and they haven't replenished the shampoo and only 1 soap in 4 days.
I travel for business, and I thought the Hyatt would be a good hotel, but this is ran like a 1 star hotel that should cost about $30 !! Book another Hotel if you want a good Hotel that cares about the customer, and doesn't run out of supplies and doesn't fix there equipment.

Room Tip: Go to another Hotel
4  Thank Ed M
Reviewed March 11, 2013

We were in Richmond for the Jefferson Cup soccer tournament and our team had used the travel agency that we were required to use to book our rooms, well in advance. When we first arrived everything seemed okay. The room was nice, comfortable and very clean. It went downhill from there. I cannot begin to stress how poorly managed this hotel is! The first night we tried to buy a beer to sit in the lobby and visit with other parents. On a Friday night, they were sold out of most beer choices. Do you realize how much money you lost by not planning ahead? I saw annoyed customer after annoyed customer walk away. i asked if I could bring my own beer into the lobby area since they were out of anything I would drink. I was told no. The next night when they were sold out of all beers( there is a Target next door to replenish when you realize that you are way under stocked for the weekend) I noticed many people drinking their own beers but no one told them no. On Saturday, 5 of our families arrived early for check-in that had only booked for the one night. All afternoon they were told the rooms were not ready yet. When they arrived back from our afternoon game they were told they had overbooked and they would have to stay down the road at another hotel. That was bad enough but then I proceeded to watch them check in others once our families were gone. We booked months in advance. When I asked the lady at the desk how she was still checking people in when she had sent our families elsewhere she got very flustered and said she was doing what she was supposed to do??? What? Did I mention that one of the 2 elevators broke on Friday and was still broken on Sunday when we carried our belongings down 7 flights of stairs? No water pressure either in the showers. They also did not plan or re-adjust the second day when the breakfast was constantly out of food. Even coffee was empty. When you are sold out, get as much staff as possible, load the beer fridge and buy extra for the storage room( it doesn't go bad) and do your best to make the weekend smooth so people will return. The hotel itself is a nice place but they have a lot to work on before they ever have a packed house again. We will certainly never choose this hotel again.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Sarah B
Nicole S, General Manager at Hyatt Place Richmond Airport, responded to this reviewResponded March 14, 2013

I do appreciate your feedback as it is valuable patrons like you who help us continually improve our services. While we did double our beer, liquor, and spirits order in preparation for this event, we realize that that was not sufficient and I apologize for that. Unfortunately, VA state liquor laws strickly prohibit us from purchasing alcohol from any non licensed vendor, so we could not go out and pick up any additional beer over the weekend. I am also sorry that the elevators were slow and one of them went down during your stay. This was due to excessive usage with the number of parents and children utilizing them during this soccer tournament weekend. I assure you that we are addressing all of your concerns to ensure that future guests do not experience the challenges you've described. Thank you again for your valuable feedback.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Richmond
Four Points by Sheraton Richmond Airport
Hampton Inn Richmond-Airport
Candlewood Suites Richmond Airport
Hilton Garden Inn Richmond Airport
Homewood Suites Richmond Airport
Courtyard Richmond Airport

Been to Hyatt Place Richmond Airport? Share your experiences!