“Excellent Dinner before the Theater”
Review of Mezzanine - CLOSED

Cuisines: American, Seafood, Fusion
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed August 5, 2013

This was my second visit to Mezzanine and I found the service and the ambiance excellent. Stooped by here without a reservation before the theater and it was great service and a very nice menu selection. I did find the prices it high for Richmond but that may have been my tastes!

Reviewed July 20, 2013

I ordered the steak last night and it tasted as if a box of salt was poured on it (on purpose). Per your wish, your restaurant is off of my list of dives to go to; but it's on my list to tell everyone I know to avoid. Gotta love social media.

Thanks for the salty experience!

2  Thank Penthouse21
Reviewed July 13, 2013

I have just moved to Richmond and had heard about this restaurant from a colleague. My husband, friend and I ate there on 7/12/2013. Overall, we had a fantastic first experience. The waitress was attentive but never once rushed us. We had the short ribs small plate, the lobster gnocchi small plate and the tuna entree. The small plates were PERFECT portions and the short ribs were some of the best I have ever had. The gnocchi was very tasty but a little heavy; however, I am not a good judge of pasta as I seldom eat it. The tuna portion was a bit large (thick) but it was very well prepared and cooked perfectly. Presentations were nice and the atmosphere was very nice. My only "disappointment" that quickly dissipated was we were seated right by the door and hostess stand. We never were disturbed or felt crowded in by waiting patrons or other noise.

I would highly recommend this restaurant and certainly will return myself.

Reviewed June 25, 2013

Mezzanine is an adorable location with decent food. But it's just decent. I had a tuna steak that was a) poorly cut, and b) poorly cooked sitting on mashed potatoes with corn on top. It was like a game of "how many starches can fit on this dish." That said, the potatoes and corn were actually good. The tuna was way too thick to be that raw (dude, sushi style is for small amounts of tuna, not giant slabs). That said, it was a quality piece of fish. My daughter had the gnocchi, which was flavorful, but also had the consistency of lead. Gnocchi should be light and silky.

Acceptable food, sort of distinerested but pleasant service. I won't be back.

Reviewed June 19, 2013

Unstated but cozy and enjoyable experience. The menu was not extensive but appealingly diverse. Appreciated use of local produce and reasonable prices for the quality of the food. We had excellent service with helpful suggestions from the wait staff. The food was well prepared, both the crab cake and tuna tastefully done without overwhelming the basic product. Thoroughly enjoyable experience that we look forward to repeating in future.