“A little bit pricey with no breakfast included”

Candlewood Suites Richmond Airport
Ranked #32 of 82 Hotels in Richmond
Reviewed April 30, 2013

This was a decent hotel off the beaten path. Relatively close to Richmond BMX. Mainly stayed here for that, plus they accept pets, which was also part of the decision.

The room was great. Definitely high end with granite counter tops, no slam cabinets and drawers. Had full size refrigerator, microwave, stove top. Unfortunately didn't bring much food with me for this stay, so couldn't take full advantage. They did have a little shop at the front desk for some food items.

Was a bit disappointed there was no breakfast included. Other hotels like this with full kitchen, also include breakfast at this price. So for $75 for the pet added to the $129 room rate, with no breakfast, the value was poor.

Elevators were super slow. And only had the 1 elevator. Was a bit annoying they parked the hotel van right in front of the entrance, which then blocked others from using the space to unload or load. Had to complain about another car parked behind the van, which then blocked getting into the parking area.

Was a little confusing on the AC at first as the buttons on the unit didn't work. They have a thermostat on the wall that controls things. A little sign on the AC unit would have helped. Also the AC apparently has a sensor whether you are in the room or not, so was a little warm when you first go in. A good concept to save electricity while not in the room. And it cooled down fast.

So all in all, decent stay. Would have been nice to have breakfast included. And is maybe 5 miles from the restaurants on the main strip. So a little high priced for what you get. But the room was quiet, which was very nice. And felt there was plenty of room. Liked the no slam cabinets and drawers.

Staff was friendly.

Room Tip: Stayed in room 319, which was good.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
jbrown804, General Manager at Candlewood Suites Richmond Airport, responded to this reviewResponded May 16, 2013

Dear Oquick1,

Thank you for your honest and heartfelt review of our property. Without the honest reviews such as yours we in management would never have the opportunity to recognize and correct the issues we are not directly involved with. I understand that the $75.00 pet fee and that specific nights $129.99 room rate, did total up to a larger sum than you were used to and allow me to explain. The particular weekend you booked with us was during the Nascar Race where our and every hotel in the area's rate does become quite elevated. As you can see from checking our rates for any other weekend, or weekday, you will see our average is around $89.99 plus taxes per night. I do apologize about the lack of breakfast we had during your stay, unfortunately because of our brand, and our buisness being primarily extended stay, neither us nor any of the Candlewood Suites offers the breakfast amenity. The A/C wall units are supposed to have the sign that tells the guest that the controls are adjusted from the wall thermostat, and I will promise you that will be corrected immediately. As for the issue with our shuttle parked in front, I do apologize. We had a group of airline crew that was loading up after a long race weekend and we had the shuttle parked out front for their convenience, as well as the SUV that was parked behind our shuttle van, they were all from the same group/company/airline. Thank you for pointing out the anti-slam cabnets and drawers that we have here at the hotel, out of all the little extra's we put into this place (as well as the thermostats) those happen to be one of my favorite. I hope your travels are fruitful and full of joy, and I am sure if you come visit us on one of our more normal weekends we will do nothing short of impress you.

Thank you and have a wonderful day!

There are newer reviews for Candlewood Suites Richmond Airport

Reviewed April 20, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here one night before returning home. If I were staying multiple nights I would feel completely at home. There's a recliner, small kitchen, desk, etc. If I return to Richmond, I will definitely stay at Candlewood again.

• Stayed: April 2013
1  Thank Mark P
jbrown804, General Manager at Candlewood Suites Richmond Airport, responded to this reviewResponded April 27, 2013

Dear Mark P,

I always welcome with open arms new guests who haven't had the chance to experience Candlewood Suites before. I am glad to hear you had a very enjoyable stay and recognized the opportunity to have an extended stay visit as well. As always extended stay is our mainstay, however we always welcome one to three night visits just as well, and hope you will make many return visits to us. As always we offer you the chance to "Consider Us Home" here at Candlewood Richmond Airport!

Reviewed April 18, 2013

Great Rooms Great Service,,,Great Employes and Close to Airport ,,,And it Feels like you never left Home,,, And there Driver will Drive you to the shopping Malls for Free,, I Would Come back again. They Have a Free Coffee, And a little store from frozen foods to ice cream ,,,, To out propane Grills for your Steaks and Hamburgers and Hot Dogs

• Stayed: April 2013
1  Thank Scottk459

Dear Scottk459

Thank you for your exelent review of our property. We love to hear when our guests take advantage of our many facilities and services from our complimentary shuttle, to our provided gas grills on our outdoor covered patio. Our mission is to provide our guests with every chance to mingle and make friends while leaving as much freedom to come and go and stay at ease. We look forward to having you reside with us again in the near future and until that day comes we all here at Candlewood Richmond Airport wish you well!

Reviewed April 11, 2013

My family and I stayed at the Candlewood for two nights in March. When we pulled up to the hotel I was kinda worried because of the neighborhood that it was in. Not a bad neighborhood, just industrial and not what I am used to. I am HAPPY to say that despite the location, the hotel was AMAZING! I loved that there were 2 TVs so our kids could enjoy watching their shows, while we watched ours as well. The bathroom was very large and the shower was great. The bed in the bedroom was super comfortable and my fiance and I slept great on it. The kids loved that they got to have a "separate" room from us and really liked sleeping on the couch bed. The FREE washer and dryers were such a great touch. I have never been to a hotel that allows you to use the washer and dryers for free.
The staff was great and very friendly. I would definitely stay at this hotel again, and from now on I will be looking to stay in more Candlewood Suites when I travel.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family

Dear Pink_footballs,

I always love when I hear that guests enjoy our King Suite Rooms. It is true that the two seperate rooms with seperate TV's make it easy to intertain travel weary children while keeping your peace of mind and quiet comfort to yourself. I do understand your apprehension when it comes to the location, it is true we are off the beaten path. The secluded area our hotel resides in provides an excape from the hustle and bustle of normal airport and area traffic and noise. I am not sure if you had noticed during your stay but we are strategically just barely outside of the direction of airplane take off and landings, so the jet noise is almost always non existant. Something the other hotels in the close proximity do not have the luxury of. I will promise you the amenities you enjoyed during your stay such as the large and accomodating bathrooms and bedrooms, as well as the complimentary laundry facility will always be here waiting for you when you make your return visit. Next time you are visiting feel free to ask our employee's about the many local attractions in the area. I promise you we will not dissapoint. As always we wish you well and look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed April 9, 2013

This is one of the best places Ive stayed in a long time. The friendliness of the staff along with how clean and comfortable the suites were. Ithis was actually my first time staying here March 2013 and I will looking for Candlewood suites first in upcoming travels. The rate itself was also. great. The Font dest associate was the best customer service I have had in a long time. Im serious, My check in was fast and I was on my way to my suite to enjoy a well rested sleep after a seven hour drive...

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family

Dear IThomas,

Thank you for your kind words and admiration in your review of our property and front desk team. We have been tirelessly working towards ever making customer service the one thing out of many that will leave a lasting impression on our guests; and once again it seems that we have suceeded in our goal. The hardest thing in the hotel buisness is finding something to impress everyone who walks through your doors; and I promise you that our drive for heartfelt customer service and expediant procedures will forever be unwavering in the attempt to improve. We look forward to seeing you again in the near future, and until then we wish you good luck and safe travels.

James K Brown-Hare

Reviewed March 29, 2013

This place ROCKS!!! After a long flight from California, I was ready to "see the inside of my peepers!" and get some rest! This hotel is 5 minutes from Richmond Airport and very easy to get to. I arrived very early in the morning to a front desk associate who did everything as fast as he could so I could finally get some much needed rest.

The hotel room was very clean. When I got on the bed, it was like laying on a marshmallow, and the pillows were just as comfortable, with soft sheets and a warm blanket, I was set for a good night's sleep!

The room was very cozy, the temperature very comfortable, and the towels were fabulously soft!!! The kitchen was fully equipped with all the basic culinary necessities. Internet access was very easy to acquire, as well.

I recommend this hotel for any tired traveler after a long day's flight!

Next time I'm in the area, I shall definitely stay at the Candlewood Suites!

This place is AWESOME!!!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business

Dear Marilyn S,

Words cannot express the respect and gratitute I have towards guests such as yourself. Its one thing to give a great review to our property, however it is truly a statement to your character and the review of our property when such a detailed description is submitted. As you can see from our many reviews our customer service, clenliness and comfortability is our main priority when it comes to our guests. I am glad to hear our front desk team is working their hardest to be as efficent as possible, and I will make sure that our executive housekeeper and her crew hears that their hard work is still being appreciated. I will personally promise you that all of the amenities and aspects you fell in love with during your stay will always be here waiting for the next time you come visit us. Thank you, we all wish you fun and safety on your journies and as always "Consider Us Home" at Candlewood Suites Richmond Airport!

Reviewed March 3, 2013

This is the very best place to stay before or after a trip that requires a flight. The first time for me was in June of 2010 and I have since stayed here a total of 5 times (the most recent being June of 2012). I can't even imagine staying anywhere else. The rate is phenomenal, they don't charge extra to keep your car on property while you travel, they will pick you up or drop you off at the airport at any time of day; the rooms have a stove top, microwave, full-size fridge and I've always had a friendly experience. It's true that they don't have a pool but the exercise room and laundry facilities are a nice bonus. If you exit the hotel and go to the right, a few miles up the road there is an outdoor mall with grocery store, restaurants, and shops for browsing. The diner "Steak and Shake" has a "shake happy hour" that is nice if you are travelling with a child as I often am. Also, this may seem like a small thing but is just so refreshing it's worth mentioning...my daughter and I are always remembered by the staff we have encountered in the past. It's amazing to me that after two years we would still be recognized and remembered as I'm sure they see a lot of people. The only warning I could possibly give is that some of the people staying at this hotel are here for an extended period of time so they treat the property in a very home-like manner. They might be outside at the BBQ enjoying an adult beverage and cooking dinner. One of my visits required a late trip out to the car and people looked like their beverages were starting to add up. As a single woman walking by a group of intoxicated men it was mildly uncomfortable but this was only once in all of my visits and will not deter me from staying here again. In fact, we have another trip being planned now and I will choose this hotel once again.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
jbrown804, General Manager at Candlewood Suites Richmond Airport, responded to this reviewResponded March 5, 2013

Dear MGremlin,

Thank you from the bottom of my heart for your continued admiration and loyalty to our facility and team. Believe it or not we have become increasingly spot on with remembering and welcoming many of our returning guests, however we do treat everyone specifically and individually. As always we appreciate and adore your mention of our many accomidations helping you to feel more at home. I do apologise but it looks like we will not be able to put in a pool; but the next time you are in the area, we do have passes to the local YMCA to use their pool free of charge. We do apologise about the mild uncomfortability you felt on one of your stays in regards to the guests enjoying their beverages outside in the patio area. We do always try to extend to our guests all of the comforts of home, however at no point will we ever tolerate or excuse the uncomfortability or put in jepoardy the safety and wellbeing of our guests. As always we will welcome you back as if you had never left, and hope that your time inbetween your stays are safe and joyfull.

James K. Brown-Hare

Also consider these accommodations in or near Richmond
Four Points by Sheraton Richmond Airport
Best Western Plus Richmond Airport Hotel
Hampton Inn Richmond-Airport
Homewood Suites Richmond Airport
Candlewood Suites Richmond - West Broad
Holiday Inn Richmond South-Bells Road

Been to Candlewood Suites Richmond Airport? Share your experiences!