“Strong flavors, good prices”
Review of The Phoenician - CLOSED

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
The Phoenician
Richmond, Virginia
“Strong flavors, good prices”
Reviewed February 23, 2013

Don't let the slightly delapidated exterior fool you. The food is excellent. A Lebanese friend of ours recommended it so I figured it had to be good. It's not your usual Middle Eastern restaurant in terms of flavors. We went for lunch on a weekend and it was pretty quiet (the decor is a little too dark though honestly, need more light, but seems to be decorated well). We shared meat stuffed grape leaves (served warm and were not sour which I don't usually like), a salad special (lettuce was fresh, blue cheese, orange slices pomegranate seeds, tomatoes), and a chicken shawarma sandwich and a kefta kebab (?) sandwich - the ground meat one. Sandwiches were very different in flavor, you could smell the wood grill that the sandwiches had been cooked on. You have to like good strong flavors of garlic and onion. Lots of specials. Got baklava to go. Ended up being $44 total. Service not speedy but friendly and as everything appeared to be cooked to order the wait time was very reasonable, we never felt like we were sitting around drumming our fingers. Will definitely go again! They had other very interesting-sounding specials we would like to try out. They also have some more private areas around the perimeter if you are looking to have a small group or intimate meal.

• Visited February 2013

Raphine, Virginia
“Very Fine Food and Service”
Reviewed August 16, 2012

I miss eating here regularly since leaving Richmond, but make a point of coming when I am in town. At my most recent visit, I had the beef shawarma, which was outstanding as always. The fattoush salad is excellent, and the free appetizer which comes with all meals is very enjoyable: It has olives, regular and crispy pita, and hummus. One of the biggest surprises here is the top notch tiramisu (Italian dish at Lebanese restaurant). Highly recommended for lunch or dinner, though much less pricey for lunch

• Visited June 2012
Virginia
“Worth a try...”
Reviewed May 30, 2012

I wound up having lunch at The Phoenician at the advice of a co-worker who eats there regularly. First, don't let the outside appearance steer you away. While it's not much to look at on the outside and easy to miss in heavy traffic, the inside is very nicely decorated and has an intimate feel. For lunch I had the chicken taouk with a side of hummus, rice, grape leaves and a pickle. Although it took a good 20 minutes or so to get our food, it was worth the wait. The chicken was fantastic as were all the sides. I very rarely eat everything on my plate at any restaurant but did so at this place and, quite frankly, wanted to keep going. If you like Lebanese food you really ought to try this place out- it's quite good. I'm looking forward to a dinner visit with the wife.

• Visited May 2012
Sandston, VA
“Great Lunch!”
Reviewed May 15, 2012

We had passed this restaurant many times. We always were talking about trying lunch there. Today we had lunch there. I had the Veggie Kebab with Grape Leaves and Hummus. My wife had the Fatayer and the Fattoosh with her Falafal. It was great! Nice change of pace. Unique flavors and tastes. We defintely will be returning during the evening for diner.

• Visited May 2012
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
“Good authentic food. But not great.”
Reviewed February 25, 2012

I went there with a friend, and we both had high expectations. I love Lebanese food, and always try it in every country or city I visit.

The Phoenician has authentic food. Yes. But it´s not the best. I had some good dishes there, but some are just not treated right. Some come dry, some overcooked.

They could be better if they payed more attention to the kitchen. And it´s a little overpriced for that reason.

Go if you want to try something different.

• Visited March 2011