“Unfriendly Front Desk”

Hilton Richmond Downtown
Ranked #7 of 82 Hotels in Richmond
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed March 26, 2014 via mobile

Overall the hotel is pleasant, not the worst, far from the best. The front desk experience kind of sums it up. The coffee maker was broken as was the phone, so I waited in line to report the issue. I placed my key on the desk so she could see my room and reported the issue. The lady replied "are you going to tell me your room number?" Why yes, it is here for your reference. Oh and since you have a coffee marker here, can I have a cup? "No. That's $2.50. You should call me from your room" (but the phone is broke) meanwhile every employee walks by and helps themselves. She never noted the broken items in the room ... I finally found a maintenence man and told him. Disappointed with Hilton.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
2  Thank WeLove2Fly
tripin1, General Manager at Hilton Richmond Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded March 27, 2014

Dear Welove2fly;

Very disappointing post, and I am hoping it was the wrong hotel during your travels. I welcome your call or email to understand who would say or act in this way, certainly not the hospitality we are known for or train. I did also send a personal email to address further.

Sincerely, John Cario - GM.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,581)

Reviewed March 23, 2014

The individuals whom work at the desk are wonderful. So kind and thoughtful as well as all the staff, from waiters to housekeeping to the shuttle drivers. Just wonderful. The bedrooms were just perfect. I slept like a dream. The food at our seminar was spectacular.
Now the other:. The parking is difficult . There is valet parking only. Which is not all that clear when you are arriving. The space you have to park your car is like a shoe box. But they take it over and park it for you. But at first everyone in our group drove around the block before we figured out that we are to take the car to the entry of the hotel only. It also is expensive to park your car every day in there facility.
The other issue was they took my credit card because our rooms were prepaid. They did not tell us that they charge your card $50. until they have determined if there are any charges you still need to pay after you check out. When I called to check why the charge was on my phone. There automated machine does not work as it should and then it took just forever to get a human. Which explained it would come off the card after a day to 3 days. Why this is not explained at check in I have no Idea.
I did love the shuttle service they will drive you anywhere and pick you up with in a two or 3 mile radios of the hotel. That is very nice considering the traffic and the streets in Richmond can be tight and busy. I hope this helps you in your visit. I recommend this hotel it is nice. You just need to know specifics so there are no surprises in the end.

Room Tip: I think any of them would be great . I stayed on the 3erd floor and was no problems at all. Very b...
1  Thank Karen A
tripin1, General Manager at Hilton Richmond Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded March 25, 2014

Dear Karen;

Thank you for your visit and wonderful review of our hotel. Great to see your comments on our facility and staff, and hear your experience was great. We will share this with the team, and hope you will come back to see us soon.

John - GM

Reviewed March 20, 2014

The Hilton Garden brand is a reliable one that we have frequented. Great service by the staff. Great convention center location. My room was quiet & adequately appointed. My only nitpicky complaints were regarding the bathroom. No trashcan, some mildew on the tiles, & a long black hair on the bathroom floor when checked in. Could do better on that aspect. The beds had softness/firmness controls which worked pretty well. Older style dial button on side of mattress was hard to find at first. Overall a good stay.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn

Thanks for your recent stay and feedback. We will share your comments with the team to address the notes you made. I also emailed you personally to discuss further, as we take all comments serious to continue to deliver on excellent service to our guests.

John Cario & team

Reviewed March 19, 2014

My family and I stayed at the Richmond downtown Hilton Garden Inn March 14-16 for a soccer tournament using hilton honor points. I typcially stay at Marriotts but chose this hotel based on reviews. They lived up to every postive review. The hotel decor an ammenities were very nice. The room was spotless and comfortable. The staff was exemplary. They accomodated every request I had made. The parking staff kept my car in front the entire weekend, Ja-Mel at the front desk went out of his way to provide a grat corner room with 15-20 cielings. Diane of the cleaning staff, Bill, the waiter and Barbara the nice lady who made us a special breakfast no questions asked or extra charge, the hotel engineer who came to the front desk and followed me to my room to repair my son's toy and the hotle van driver who stayed late to pick us up after dinner. The service and the hotel blew away a jaded, cynical NJ weekly business traveler. I can not reccommend this hotel enough.

Room Tip: ask for a corner room ending in 09. extra high cielings 15ft with wrap around windows.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family

Dear Jeremy;

Thank you for your recent visit for soccer, most likely the recent Jefferson Cup tournaments in RVA. Glad to hear you made the trek from New Jersey, as well you found our hotel and staff to exceed your expectations. I will thank Jermell for his efforts, as well review your "Great" comments with the team. Hope to see you back again, perhaps a non-soccer weekend, does that ever happen ?

John Cario (Former soccer dad)
GM

Reviewed March 18, 2014

I told the front desk my bed was like a sponge on a rock that sunk down as the night went by so you would wake up in a hole. No Response. I tried the adjustment on the side and it didn't change anything. Could have offered a different room or to check the bed. The service at dinner was a joke. The young man waiting on us took our order, brought our food out and we didn't see him again for about 20 minutes. My steak was over cooked and he took it back to replace it. My friend finished his dinner while I waited. Thought he would at least fill our water glass but after anther 25 minutes I stopped the bartender as she went by and ordered a drink from her. She brought to our table. After waiting 10 more minutes we got up, left the restaurant and went to the bar. Where I ordered a club sandwich and told the bar tender to have them cancel the steak ordered in restaurant I was tired of waiting for it. I got my sandwich and the supervisor came over and credited or dinner. I think the dinner could have been handled way better and in a more timely manner.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn
LWharton, Front Office Manager at Hilton Richmond Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded March 19, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience with us. I apologize for the lack of response from the front desk about your bed, as well as your poor service in the restaurant. Typically we do much better, and I regret this was the case. I have emailed you privately to discuss your stay further. I look forward to hearing from you.

Reviewed March 17, 2014

I stayed here while attending a convention. It is very convenient but the that is all it is. The place has significant maintenance issues. During my morning shower the tub spout came off and shot across the tub leaving water pouring out of an exposed pipe. I could not work out at the fitness center because two of the three treadmills were not working. Finally, the thermostat setting was not remotely close to the temperature in the room. Next year, I will book earlier and stay at the Marriott across the street.

1  Thank Thomas H
tripin1, General Manager at Hilton Richmond Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded March 18, 2014

Dear Thomas;

Thank you for your visit and feedback. I was disappointed to see you had several concerns during your visit, as well I have emailed you personally to hopefully resolve. We will address these with the team. We thank you for your feedback, and do hope to have the opportunity to show we can do better in the future.

Sincerely, John Cario - GM

Reviewed March 15, 2014

I chose the HGI due to the tripadvisor reviews as I don't know Richmond at all.

I was impressed by my entire experience. I want to mention that I was there in the middle of winter and between snowstorms because that affected my stay.

I had flown a red eye and was exhausted when I arrived. The front desk staff was friendly, helpful, and willing to joke around with me. The guys who valet parked cars were quick and efficient. Considering the fact that they had to stay out in below-freezing weather, I highly commend them.

I liked that the hotel offered morning and afternoon beverages and snacks. Even more, I appreciated free wifi.

The room was clean. The bed was comfortable. The location was good, and as a woman traveling alone, I felt safe.

My one complaint is the cost of the valet. There is self-parking nearby that is cheaper. Had it not been so cold, I would have used it.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled solo
2  Thank Moonette
tripin1, General Manager at Hilton Richmond Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded March 17, 2014

Dear Moonette;

Thanks for your visit and tripadvisor post. I'll surely thank our valet team who does do a great job in all sorts of weather, and this year certainly many cold days. Glad to hear you had a great visit, and enjoyed our many amenities. Hope to see you back soon. John and team.