“Great Rooms”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Dallas, Texas
“Great Rooms”
Reviewed February 14, 2013

I am a diamond member at Hilton and this hotel was on average as compared to the chains other distinguished hotels. The rooms are very nice with good water pressure, which always makes my morning. The hotel shuttle and bellmen are the star of the show, making you feel like you are at home. Very special thanks to the following for your distinguished service and southern charm. If i come back to Richmond it would be to take one last drive with these fine gentlemen.

Reggie Williams
Benjerman Ross
James Byrd
James Gadison
Ekor Bartel

The downside of this hotel and why i only gave it 3 stars is due to a small fitness area and subpar restaurant service and food, although the free bar chips are some of the best I’ve had. I ate many times in the restaurant and maybe 1 out of 5 times my food order was cooked correctly or right items were brought out. A level of caring about what is being served is required to make good food. The bar staff was sometimes unfriendly when busy and at times charged me amounts different then what was on the menu. I was also told that i could not sit in the bar area if i ordered takeout food, and was forced to bring it up to the room. Sometimes you just don’t want to be in the room and the food and service sure did not make me want to order in the restaurant. The quality of breakfast in a hotel is never great so my expectations were met here, but 15 to 30 dollar meals for dinner did not.

When traveling over 100 days a year the small details such as quality food, a clean room, good water preasure, and friendly people really do count.

Room Tip: Rooms closer to the elevator seem to be better
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
tripin1, General Manager at Hilton Richmond Downtown, responded to this review, February 22, 2013
Dear Brian;

Thank you for your Hilton Brand Loyalty and your many visits with us. Your feedback was shared with the team, and we thanked those whom you mentioned. We'll also put your thoughts to work to continue to make our hotel a great place for all to stay.

I also sent you a personal email to thank / and discuss further.

John Cario

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (260)
Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed February 8, 2013

I stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn - Richmond Downtown location on Feb. 8th and the service that I received from all of the staff was outstanding! Everyone was extremely nice and accommodating to my needs. One employee who stood out was Art Stewart who checked me in at the front desk. There was a bad snow storm that affected much of the east coast and caused my airline reservations to be changed. Instead of arriving in Richmond at 3:00 pm, I arrived around 12:45 pm to the hotel. I explained to Art that my travel day had worn me out, as I had to take a flight at 6:10 am and travel to Atlanta just to arrive to Richmond for my scheduled business. Check in is not until 4:00 pm, but Art was able to get me a room early so that I can get the needed rest for my business meeting the following day.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
tripin1, General Manager at Hilton Richmond Downtown, responded to this review, February 11, 2013
Dear Trinia;

Thank you for your recent stay and feedback on Tripadvisor. I was sorry to hear you had tough travels during one of the storms, but glad to hear Art assisted you as noted. I will thank Art for his efforts, and we do hope to see you soon back to Richmond.

GM
Pasadena, MD
Reviewed February 5, 2013

We just stayed at this hotel in early Feb. 2013. Very nicely decorated and they even had displays with information about the dept. store that was once in this location. The staff is very friendly. We did notice a little street noise so I'd suggest requesting an upper floor. The convention center is across the street. Valet parking on the property runs $21 per day, otherwise you must find somewhere else to park a car.

Room Tip: Rooms on floors 5, 6 & 7 have a city view and less street noise.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Traveljen;

We appreciate your visit to Richmond and stay with us at the HGI - former Miller & Rhoads department store. Yes, sometimes you can hear the "sounds of the city", and sometimes as you noted on the higher floors, or our interior "atrium" rooms it is very quiet. We'll share your feedback with the team, and look forward to your next visit.

John & team
Damascus, Virginia, United States
Reviewed February 4, 2013

Easy access to convention center and capitol. Great restaurants within walking distance. Very helpful hotel staff. Unique hotel layout. Nice quite room, but a long walk to get to it...which was okay. Staff did a great job of taking care of every need, like storing bags until conference was over and even lent me corkscrew.

Dear DB22112;

Thanks for your recent visit and feedback on Tripadvisor. We appreciate you taking some time to provide us info. about your visit, and we'll share it with the team.

We hope to see you back in Richmond soon !

John Cario - GM
Newport News, Virginia
Reviewed January 30, 2013

I am the Executive Director of a small state organization. We chose the Hilton Garden Inn for a very important annual event and they could not have been better! Kathryn McDonald, the Catering Manager was outstanding to work with and Matthew Richardson, their chef was magnificent! My organization and our guests could not have been happier! The General Manager John Cario was there during the planning to the finish and always available, although his staff handled everything with great professionalism. Our block of rooms were great. Very clean and comfortable.

Dear VSC;

Thank you for your recent event at our facility. We certainly enjoyed hosting this event, and we also appreciate your kind feedback regarding the team. I will personally thank each for ensuring your event was a success. We hope to see you should your travels bring you back to Richmond and our HGI.

John Cario - GM
Toledo, Ohio
Reviewed January 29, 2013

The check - out and charging my credit card when it was told that it would be paid another method of payment and was charge twice and could not resolve it with the Hilton Garden Inn Richmond, VA. My bank resolve the matter not the Hilton Garden Inn and I did not received a follow up called to let me know that the matter was resolve only from my bank that my account would be credit back a refund that was debit from my account.
Ms. Carter
Adventurous Travels

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Ms. Carter;

Thank you for your recent stay and feedback. I had tried to email you as well, however had not heard back from you. On behalf of the team here, I apologize that you had issues with your credit card, but glad to hear it was resolved. I hope the rest of your stay went well, and this incident with your card doesn't tarnish the entire visit with us. I welcome your call or email to discuss further, as we want you to be happy and think of us first when you return to Richmond.

Manassas, Virginia, United States
Reviewed January 28, 2013

We attended a meeting at the hotel and Lobby Day at the Virginia General Assembly. The staff was amazing! They went all out to make sure we were happy campers. The rooms were well-appointed and clean. The service was outstanding. This is aa old Miller and Rhodes department store and warehouse that was converted into a hotel. It is within walking distance of the VA Capital. We will definately stay there again, and again!

1 Thank Jo Ellen L
Dear Jo Ellen;

Thanks for your recent visit here and to the "Hill", hope all went well. I'll certainly thank the team for their efforts with your recent meeting and visit. Hope to see you again soon.