“Very Good Service”

Hilton Richmond Downtown
Ranked #8 of 82 Hotels in Richmond
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed September 6, 2012

This was my first trip to Richmond and the purpose of my visit was business with little free time to get out and explore. All people that I have come across during my stay at the hotel have been very friendly and helpful whether assisting me with a question or making a restaurant recommendation. I also loved that they offer a shuttle service to attractions and restaurants within a 2 mile radius. I did not have a car during my stay and I used the shuttle to get to and from work each day and then to get to dinner.

Since I was here for business I did not have much time to explore the city. One evening on my way to dinner James (the shuttle driver) gave me quite a bit of information about areas that we were going through and he told me that when he picked me up after dinner we would take a different route home so I could see more of the area. It was a busy night for him and he received a number of calls on our way back to the hotel to pick up other guests. I was not in a rush to get back so I was able to stay in the van and see and learn about other parts of Richmond that I would not have been able to see otherwise. James was great very personable and also a wealth of information.

As I think about my stay the only issue that I encountered was with housekeeping. Each day I was out for a better part of the day and upon return to my room around 3 the room was still not made up. They would come some time after that when I was back in the room and check to see if I wanted to room serviced. I was trying to get work done at that time and did not want to leave so I just asked for little things like trash removed or more shampoo and conditioner. So in the three days I was here the room was never fully serviced.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
tripin1, General Manager at Hilton Richmond Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded September 11, 2012

Dear Travel4fun;

Thank you for your recent visit and feedback to Tripadvisor. I was glad to hear overall a "very good" visit and glad to learn that James (Van Driver) assisted with your travels around town. We will also review your comments relative to housekeeping and I can assure you we consistently do better. We are actually recognizing all our Housekeeping Associates this week for "International Housekeeping Appreciation" week, and will review all our recent comment cards and Tripadvisors as well with them.

Reviewed September 6, 2012

I have traveled every week for the last 12 years with my job - so yes, I know hotels. I love this gem of a hotel. The staff (from the front desk, to the shuttle driver, to the servers to the housekeeping to the GM) was the most polite and thoughtful I have ever encountered. The room was exceptionally clean, and the workout room - EVERYTHING WORKED.

It's the little things that matter when you travel for a living. Plenty of light in the bathrooms, plenty of coffee, the room was CLEAN, lots of electrical outlets, more than one piece of cardio equipment in the workout room, good channels and my all time favorite...an extra blanket in the room.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank deatraveler60795

Dear Deatraveler;

Thanks for your "Outstanding" feedback relative to your recent visits with us at the HGI - Richmond Downtown. We'll share your positive experience with the team, and continue the efforts to ensure all our guests get the same "Outstanding" service with their visits. We know many of our "road warrior" guests do lots of travel, so we strive to create their "home away from home" while they are with us.

Reviewed September 1, 2012

From the time we checked in until we left (we stayed 2 nights), we were greatly impressed. Where do I began? Simply put, these things were excellent were: The cleanliness of the room and facilities, the shuttle service (which will take you anywhere within a 2 miles radius free of charge), the staff (very courteous), the valet parking (helpful, gentle with your car), the fitness center, the pool (clean, well maintained, beautiful).....I could go on and on, because this place is world class. I won't stay anywhere else in Richmond. Lastly, if you like seafood, be sure to visit a nearby place called Crocker's Spot...it is absolutely amazing! The shuttle (runs until 10:00 pm - will take you to the restaurant free of charge and pick you up). You won't be disappointed...we were blown away. Ultimately, our visit to Richmond was GREAT - and this hotel and Crocker's Spot seafood restaurant are the reasons why.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Brandon B
tripin1, General Manager at Hilton Richmond Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded September 4, 2012

Dear Brandon;

Thank you for your recent visit to our hotel, as well nearby Croaker Spot restaurant. I was pleased to see your overall Richmond, and Hilton Garden Inn stay went well and you rated us "World Class". We look forward to your next visit, as well would suggest in addition to Croaker Spot not only is our Great American Grill a good option for your dining, the surrounding area is now home to many new restaurants within walking distance; Pasture, 525, and Gibson's to name a few. We hope to see you return soon.

Reviewed August 31, 2012

The Hilton Garden Inn downtown has been my wife's and my favorite Richmond hotel for some time. Our last vist offered the same great location and helpful staff. Yes, the price of parking had gone up, but everything seems to go up. The change that jolted us was to discover the charge for a room safe. Now that's just going too far! What next/? Will they charge to flush the toilet? I don't think that hotel managers realize that the little bit of extra revenue from these hidden charges is not worth the loss of customer loyalty.

Room Tip: Request a room on the back street that has less traffic noise.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank GregChapelHill

Dear Greg;

Thank you for your recent visit and feedback. I was pleased to hear that for the most part you enjoyed your visit, yet the "safe fees" seemed to cause concern. Yes, this past year our valet fees went up a few dollars, but are still below some of our neighboring hotels. Our in-room safe fees do have a daily fee for use (this is not new) but we also offer complimentary safety deposit boxes at the front desk as well. I'll send a separate email in hopes to restore your faith in our hotel for future visits. Trust me, it's a "safe bet !".

Reviewed August 28, 2012

My wife and I recently stayed here on a short weekend visit to Richmond. The hotel is centrally located in downtown Richmond and a short walk to the Shockoe district. We found the staff uniformly friendly and efficient suggesting a hotel's dedication to be so. The room itself was clean and quiet with recent furniture. I did not particularly care for the adjustable mattress though most probably would. The exercise room was small but with nice equipment in good repair. We did not use the in-house restaurant. We got a well below published rate ($75) through Hotels.com which made the room a good deal otherwise it would have been on the pricy side ($139) to me at least.

Room Tip: There is some traffic in the entrance of the hotel all night including a beeping from the coutsey va...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Larry T
tripin1, General Manager at Hilton Richmond Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded August 29, 2012

Dear Larry;

Glad to hear you enjoyed a recent visit to Richmond and stay with us, as well you did find a bargin price ! We'll share your feedback with the team, and hope to see you on future visits.

Reviewed August 28, 2012

I stayed at this Hilton for one weekend in August 2012 with several other people; our group booked 4 rooms total. When booking, it said breakfast was included, but after getting to the hotel, we were told it was an extra cost of $12.99 per person.

When I was checking in, the man at the front desk was on the phone the entire time and barely made an effort to be polite. It was not only rude but a big negative on the first impression I had of the hotel. After that, I just started noticing other things I didn't like - the bad body odor smells in the elevators and hallways, the bathroom had hairs on the floor, the second day the toilet seat was left up after housekeeping and a hair was on the seat, etc. Little things like that really add up and greatly diminish my outlook on a hotel. I'm generally easy going and really easy to please, but this Hilton didn't do so well.

I'm not sure if this was just in the room I was in, but the air conditioner was so loud. The first night, I woke up every time it started up, so I had a pretty horrible night. The beds were neat though since we could adjust the firmness.

The only positives I can report about the hotel are that they give free cookies (the white chocolate cookie is awesome), other than the guy at the front desk (checking us in at 9PM on Friday night) everyone else who was staffed by the hotel was really friendly, the location was great for my group since it was only a mile or so away from our destination.

Room Tip: When you book, if it says "breakfast included" make sure to get a snapshot of that for you...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends

Dear Liz;

Thank you for your recent visit to Richmond and stay with us. We do appreciate your comments and feedback and will be addressing all points accordingly, and share your feedback with the team. I welcome your call or email to discuss further (I'll try a separate email to you to gather some additional details), as well regarding breakfast included would agree if you saw that somewhere we would certainly honor it. At Hilton Gardens, and here our breakfast is a full cooked to order buffet, so we do charge for it.

I was glad to see you enjoyed our welcome cookies, the Sleep System bedding, and the majority of the staff.

Reviewed August 18, 2012

Very pleasant place to stay. It took about 10 minutes for me to register as I was waiting for 2 people to finish. It seemed like the front desk staff chatted away with the people ahead of me somewhat longer than was necessary as I was tired and eager to get to my room.
Apparently Hilton Club members get 2 free bottles of water. When this was not offered to me (a non-member), I asked and was given one.
Room was in fine shape, clean and pleasant. Wi fi is free and worked well.
No complaints. Would not call this super luxury but it is very nice.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business

Dear Senior Dad;

Thanks for your recent visit and feedback. Thanks also for your reply to my personal email to discuss a few additional points. I will share your comments with the team and look forward to a future visit. I had tried to post a reply last week, however due to a message content about our Hilton Honor's program, and a weblink, it was not posted. I'll send that information in another email.

Thanks,