“Valet Scratched My Car”

Hilton Richmond Downtown
Ranked #7 of 82 Hotels in Richmond
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed June 11, 2012

We stayed during a weekend in June 2012 during a very large convention. While it is never guaranteed, early check-in would have been a huge help for us during this trip, unfortunately our room was not available until the standard check-in time of 4pm.

The hotel is clean and the staff is very welcoming. With one exception, and I will discuss that later, every staff member had a smile on their face when talking with guests.

The bed in our room was not very comfortable. They have mattresses with dual-zone adjustable firmness; however, no matter how much we turned the knobs on our mattress, the one side was always extra soft and the other side was always extra firm. I felt like I was sleeping 6 inches higher than my wife was.

Now to address the title of my review and that one exception to the smiling staff members, this hotel currently charges $21 per night for valet. No other on-site parking is available. During the first two days of our stay, we had no problems with the valet. We turned the car over to them around 1pm on Thursday and left it them until we went to dinner later that evening. Despite being extremely busy, and every parking space within an eight-block radius being full, the valet retrieved our car very quickly. We turned it back over to their care after dinner and left it there until dinner the following evening (Friday).

We turned the car back over to them on Friday evening around 8:30pm. I am the type of person who checks his car over for damage every time I get in or out of it and I noticed no new damage when the valet drove away from the hotel this evening. The car was under the hotel valet's care until about 5:30pm on Saturday. Again, the valet was very quick about returning my car, but as he pulled up the two other valets standing next to me both said, "Uh oh," and ran over to my car. There were scratches and dirt all over the passenger side near the rear tire.

The valet who was driving the car, who is also the operations manager for Parking Management Services, Inc., tried to tell me that damage was there when I gave them my car the previous evening, but I know I would have noticed that damage when I got out of the car. As I stated earlier, it was so obvious that two valets noticed it as soon as the car pulled up in front of the hotel.

The police department and insurance company investigations are still ongoing, but I have not heard anything from either the hotel or the valet company. In fact, when I reported it to the folks at the front desk of the hotel, nobody seemed to care; nobody offered to report it to the on duty manager.

As of right now, I am out $63 for three days of valet parking plus my insurance deductible to get my car fixed. I hope that the hotel or the valet company will do the right thing and help me out with this.

Room Tip: Higher floors have less noise from the street below.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Seth G
tripin1, General Manager at Hilton Richmond Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded June 13, 2012

Thank you for your visit and feedback. I was glad to see overall your stay was positive, and we'll certainly investigate your concern on the bed, as our Garden Sleep System mattresses typically get rave reviews. I was disappointed to learn of your claim related to your car. This is uncommon, however as you know we have been in touch with you prior to this post, and Joe with Parking Mgt. Services is aware of your claim, and I trust has resolved your concerns. We hope to have a chance to show we can do better on a return visit to Richmond, as we know you have choices, but strive to make Hilton your first choice.

John Cario

Write a ReviewReviews (1,584)

Reviewed June 7, 2012

We stayed for a few nights and were impressed with this hotel. We couldn't believe how wonderful all the staff are. They call you by name and are very attentive. The room was very clean and all the amenities were there. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank mary lynne s

Thank you for your recent visit and kind feedback. Yes, we do have a great team I am very proud of, and thankful to be working with at such a nice hotel. We look forward to your return visit.

Reviewed June 3, 2012

We had a great first time visit - a quick overnight to visit our daughter. Thanks to Aubrey and Maria our visit turned into an upgraded room that was just unbelievable. From the valet, to the front desk to housekeeping, we were treated like royalty. Can't wait to visit again - see you in August!

Room Tip: Our corner suite was sunny, huge and fabulous
3  Thank Patty H
tripin1, General Manager at Hilton Richmond Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded June 4, 2012

Dear Patty H;

Thank you for your recent visit to Richmond and your stay with us at the Historic Miller & Rhoads Hilton Garden Inn. I was pleased to see you had an enjoyable visit, and both Aubrey and Maria went above and beyond to assist you. I will personally thank each of them. We look forward to your return August stay with us.

Reviewed May 29, 2012

We've had 2 visits to the Hilton Garden Inn in the last 2 months. The staff are very courteous starting with the valet parking. The front desk staff are prompt, courteous and friendly. The rooms are generous with space and have high ceilings. If you are looking for a quiet room with little street noise, request an interior high floor room. The morning coffee at the cafe/right off the elevator was great! They have a shuttle service if you need a ride to a close by locale. They were courteous to give me a ride to the local Rite Aid to get some cough drops when I woke up with a sore throat. I will definitely go back and stay when I need a hotel for Richmond/VCU visits!

Room Tip: If you are looking for a quiet room with little street noise, request an interior high floor room...
2  Thank anginva

Dear Anginva;

Thanks for your recent visit and wonderful review of our hotel. That's our goal; "Excellent service with our great staff" at a great Richmond location :). We'll certainly share your feedback with the team.

Reviewed May 28, 2012

Wow! What a great weekend we just had. I traveled to Richmond with three volleyball teams and the people at Hilton Garden Inn were amazing. Denise, Deanna, Derrick and Rey at the front desk - were so friendly and accommodating. They did so much to help. One of our players celebrated a birthday while we were there. Not only did they provide a cake, they added candles, matches and balloons. Every request was a met with a helpful and positive response. I've never written review before -but I've never had this kind experience with a hotel staff. I look forward to seeing them again next year!!!!!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank VballTeammom

Dear Vball Team Mom;

Thanks for taking the time to write a review after your recent weekend tournament visit. We are fortunate to be close to the Convention Center for many of the sporting events that come to town, and we do appreciate our Volleyball teams. I was glad to hear many of the team went above and beyond to assist with you and your teams, as well getting a birthday cake for a special occasion. We look forward to your next visit to Richmond.

Reviewed May 26, 2012

If you are visiting Richmond, Virginia for business or pleasure I highly recommend this hotel. The Hilton Garden Inn Richmond is a place where the staff do not just say they thank you for your patronage, they show you each and every day all day that they are glad that you are staying with them.
From the moment I arrived I was welcomed and treated to high end spa quality hospitality. Everyone - and I do mean EVERYONE - was focused on giving me the most courteous and gracious service possible. The rooms are well sized, appointed and immaculate. I found the bed a dream and the quiet at night afforded me the most restful sleep I have had in a hotel. Requests for assistance and room service were promptly answered. If you do not drive they have an excellent shuttle service with the most courteous and professional drivers I have encountered in my travels. However, the area of the hotel's location is very walkable as well if you are able to do that. I have a physical disability and they were accommodating without being patronizing. I was ill during my visit and they did everything they could to make me comfortable.

You can pay much, much more a night for a stay in a hotel that gives you turn down service and a chocolate on your pillow. Or you can choose 5 star quality for less and stay at the Hilton Garden Inn Richmond. I truly believe that, in their quest to provide me the ultimate experience this staff just might have turned down that bed if I had asked, but why ask? Everything already was perfect the way it was. Who needs turn down service when you have a team totally focused on your health, well being and comfort.

The next time I am in Richmond I will be staying at the Hilton Garden Inn downtown.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Sheryl S
Reviewed May 22, 2012

We used this hotel as a base for our recent family reunion as it was central to all the places around Richmond that we wanted to go to. There were approximately 25 of us staying at the hotel and I did not hear any complaints from any of our family. The staff was helpful and gracious and attended to any request we had. The room was huge and fit the roll away bed for my youngest child very well, so we did not feel crowded at all. The hotel was busy with a teen age engineering convention staying there, a visiting Georgia college baseball team and a wedding but despite all that, the room was quiet. The valet parking, which is a good deal with us using our cars in and out for one set price/day, was quick. The only sticker shock was the prices in the bar. We would stay again.

1  Thank edesbonnet

Thank you for your recent visit for your reunion, and I was glad to see you and your family had an enjoyable stay. Yes, we certainly have our share of visiting sports teams, youth groups, and weddings, and that weekend was a busy one, I think a graduation in town too ! Like you, they seem to enjoy our hotel and services and convenient to all of Downtown Richmond's offerings.

We hope to see you on a return Richmond visit, maybe for some personal R&R.