“A Bit Dissapointing”

Hilton Richmond Downtown
Ranked #8 of 82 Hotels in Richmond
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed February 26, 2012

I only spent one night at this particular Hilton hotel, however, I frequently stay in Hilton brand hotels throughout the year, and this one was a bit disappointing for me. The bed was comfortable, and the room was large and spacious with huge picture windows.Unfortunately, the view from those windows on the 7th floor were right in to other hotel guests rooms, due to the square configuration of the courtyard below. Although the television was a modern, flat panel it was awkwardly small. The property earned a "poor rating" in my book due to the unsightly bathroom issues. The base of the toilet was covered in a thick layer, shiny layer of white caulk, as well as, the faucet and tile in the tub area. Additionally, the wallpaper in the bathroom was peeling off the walls. At a cost of approximately $150, one would definitely not expect to find these very noticeable, unsightly issues in the bathroom.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the courtyard do not extend much privacy.
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank RileyPA
tripin1, General Manager at Hilton Richmond Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded March 1, 2012

Thank you for your recent visit and review. We were disappointed as well to hear your comments. We certainly can do much better, and we'll address your noted concerns ahead. Thank you for your reply to my personal email so that we can address the actual room you stayed in. While we have a preventive maintenance program in place, we obviously missed the mark on your room, and visit. Thank you for your feedback, we hope to show we can do better in the future.

Reviewed February 21, 2012

I spent 2 nights at this hotel over the past weekend and wished I could have stayed more nights. I had my children with me, and they loved it also...so much that my little said he wanted it to be his new house. We enjoyed the indoor heated pool. Our room was very clean and spacious. Flat screen tv, microwave & refrig in the room. Vending machine filled with good stuff. And the breakfast was the bomb.com! I will always stay at this place whenever I go back to Richmond.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family
tripin1, General Manager at Hilton Richmond Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded February 22, 2012

Thank you for your recent visit to Richmond and your stay with us. We are so glad to hear we have some new fans, as well you made our day regarding breakfast and your comment "breakfast was the bomb.com". We appreciate the positive feedback, and I will thank the team for their efforts during your visit.

We look forward to your return visits to Richmond and your stay with us at the Hilton Garden Inn.

Reviewed February 20, 2012

My husband and I enjoy staying in this hotel when we come into Richmond for a weekend. The rooms are modern and clean, the beds comfortable, the service great. This hotel is in the heart of Richmond on Broad St. in a former elegant department store building. They've done a great job transforming it into a very nice hotel. This hotel provides an excellent shuttle service which will take you anywhere you want to go within a very large area of downtown including most of the restaurant district. Our driver, James, was delightful. They even were waiting outside the restaurant for us to take us back to the hotel. Loved not having to pay a taxi fare. Valet parking for our car was fast, courteous, and efficient.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your recent visit to Richmond and your stay with us at the Historic Miller and Rhoads, now Hilton Garden Inn hotel & M&R Residences. We appreciate the positive feedback, and I will certainly thank James (Van Driver) and the valet team for their efforts during your visit. We look forward to your return visit to Richmond and another wonderful stay at the Hilton Garden Inn.

Reviewed February 7, 2012

I travel frequently. I have had great customer service at run down hotels, bad customer service at nice hotels, and forgettable service at forgettable hotels. This hotel & staff were in the business of winning customers! clean amenities, tall ceiling rooms and motivated staff compel me to write a review for the first time in my 5 years of constant travel across the nation.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business
tripin1, General Manager at Hilton Richmond Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded February 13, 2012

Dear Jason;

Thank you for your recent visit and first ever Tripadvisor post about your stay. We were glad to hear you very much enjoyed your visit. We most certainly strive to "win" our customers with great service and product in this very competitive business, by doing it "one at a time".

We look forward to your next stay with us here in Richmond.

Reviewed February 4, 2012

I've stayed pretty much everywhere in downtown Richmond, but this was my first time at the HIlton Garden Inn, in the old Miller & Rhoads Dept Store building. I'll never stay anywhere else. It was extremely central, right next to the convention center, walking distance from the courts, walking distance from the General Assembly -- very well positioned for business travel to Richmond. The room was spacious, modern, well-appointed, with microwave, fridge, big TV, a bed with the firmness adjustability dial. There was a perfectly adequate fitness center with new cardio equipment and TVs for each machine. Walking distance to some super restaurants, including Pastures, Gibson's Grill, and Tarrants Cafe. Highly recommend.

Room Tip: Don't get too near the elevators because they have a voice that says Going Up and Going Down. I...
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business
tripin1, General Manager at Hilton Richmond Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded February 7, 2012

Dear Dogwalker Norfolk;

Thank you for your recent visit and feedback. Great to hear your comments, and glad to be listed as "Best Place to stay Downtown" in Richmond. We look forward to your future visits with us, as well many exciting events ahead in Richmond including the Lion King next door at the Center Stage, and Elton John ahead too. We also agree on your restaurant comments as well; The new Pasture on Grace Street and Tarrants certainly make the Richmond Restaurant tops list.

Reviewed January 30, 2012

Got a good rate for a king evolution room using the Virginia Museum of Fine Arts Package. Surprisingly, the package didn't provide anything other than the room itself. Check in went smoothly but the staff was not very friendly. In fact, they bordered on being rude.

The room was standard. There was a $3.00 per day charge for the safe - bummer! No written instructions on how to connect to Internet. Got information from front desk...the person seemed hassled that I was calling.

Fitness room was a farce.

Didn't eat at the restaurant, but wafts of breakfast reached us all the way up the to corridor on the 6th floor.

Thick, large towels and Neutrogena bath products were a plus.

Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
tripin1, Front Office Manager at Hilton Richmond Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded February 3, 2012

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us. I apologize for you "wishing for more" and the less than stellar service you received during your visit. This is certainly not the level of excellence we strive to provide. Your concerns have been addressed with the team. Based on your comments regarding the package rate you booked for the VMFA, we are continually reviewing our packages to always ensure we add more value to you, and we appreciate this feedback. I hope that you will give us another opportunity to show that we can and will do better. Your feedback is the key to our success. Thank you again.

Christi Barbee
Front Office Manager

Reviewed January 25, 2012

I stayed here while attending Virginians for the Arts Conference at the Convention Center. It is close by and has easy parking both at the hotel and the Conference Center, The room was great, although not big, and the bathroom was compact but the beds were wonderful and my colleague and I slept well. The best bit was that the staff are exceptional - they go above and beyond to give excellent service - from parking, check in, breakfast and onwards - what a joy to have such service. I had an issue with my computer - and Lorenzo, one of the chefs, and Mark, from Front Desk were wonderful and helped me resolve the issue - from a cup of coffee to calm me down - to technical help !! I shall certainly stay here in the future - in fact the whole conference is staying here next year !! Thank you Harry, GM, and your team - you are delightful

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled on business
tripin1, General Manager at Hilton Richmond Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded February 3, 2012

Dear Happy Traveler;

Thank you for your recent visit to Richmond and stay with us at the Historic Miller & Rhoads, now the Hilton Garden Inn - Richmond Downtown. I was glad to hear the team assisted you, and I have already thanked both Mark and Lorenzo for their dedication to hospitality. We hope to see you in the future when your travels may have you back in Richmond.

John "Harry" Cario