“Unique Valentine's Day Retreat”
Review of Linden Row Inn

Linden Row Inn
Ranked #6 of 82 Hotels in Richmond
Alexandria, VA
“Unique Valentine's Day Retreat”
Reviewed February 16, 2009

The Linden Row Inn, nestled nicely between Richmond, Virginia's historic downtown and trendy West End, is a great place to get away to together for Valentine's Day. The Inn has struggled a bit historically against slightly swankier retreats such as the Berkely in the Bottom and the Five Diamond-rated Jefferson just blocks away. However, the Inn has far more of a friendly feel and is actually well placed walking distance-wise to several of Richmond's best restaurants, art galleries, and music venues along the downtown Broad Street corridor. As far as a Romantic get away, the Inn offers an incredibly affordable "Romance Package", which came with a dozen fresh roses in our room, along with a generous assortment of Belgian chocolates, a tall bottle of delicious sparkling water, and even a Dean Martin "Amore" CD to set the mood. Now take all that and add in a large room with tall ceilings, king-sized bed, antique mantle surrounding an old coal fireplace, beautiful view of the Inn's quaint courtyard, and enough polished granite in the bathroom to sink a ship, and you're not getting a bad deal for a little over $150.00. For the same price even, the Inn would have arranged a three course dinner at a local restaurant with transportation to and from with everything taken care of save for gratuity. We were going to opt for this package, but dinner reservation times still available were all after 9:00 and we had other plans. Needless to say, the Inn, location, room, and accompanying package were just shy of perfect for a couple wanting to get away from it all for Valentine's Day save for one thing- the continental breakfast.
My wife and I arrived in the dining room at 9:45 AM, 15 minutes prior to when continental breakfast time was scheduled to end after a solid night's sleep, ample time in our book to enjoy what was meant to be included with the price of our stay, and were met by the main server who reminded all in the breakfast room that it was 9:45 when she saw us, and then shot us a look of annoyance as we walked in to try and eat something before we got back on the road. The server had already begun breaking things down and there was not much left to enjoy as a result. So, after doing our best to put together some semblance of a breakfast, we and the few of us left in the room were treated by the server to tales of previous cranky guests, bowl movement-inducing coffee, and how difficult it is to get up early and serve guests breakfast. While we had no choice but to laugh at this woman's candor, the level of professionalism was seriously lacking for a historic inn, and one of Richmond's most treasured historic landmarks. While my wife and I will no doubt likely return, we hope that the breakfast fare, schedule, and server are a little more up to par with historic inn standards and our overly informative breakfast server has been reassigned to what she told everyone she enjoys more than serving guests- cleaning rooms.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
LindenRowInnMgmt, Manager at Linden Row Inn, responded to this review, March 24, 2009
The Management of the Linden Row Inn thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback on your recent stay at our hotel. We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed spending Valentine’s Day with us. We work hard to assemble meaningful packages with local restaurants and cultural venues, and are always happy to hear about guests that enjoyed the additional amenities.

We are extremely sorry to hear about your experience with our continental breakfast. Over the past year, we have worked hard to improve our breakfast fare by introducing new products such as Southern-style biscuits and hot waffle-making stations, and we are continuing to work on introducing additional improvements. Our breakfast hours are from 7AM-10AM, and we often extend those hours during special events/occasions such as Valentine’s Day weekend. So, the breakfast attendant should not have started breaking down the breakfast at 9:45AM. The behavior you describe is simply unacceptable, and following a thorough investigation of the occurrences you describe, we have taken the necessary disciplinary action to ensure that guests are provided with the professionalism and hospitality that they have come to expect of the Linden Row Inn.

We are happy to hear that you and your wife will be returning to the Linden Row Inn and hope that you will be pleased with our continued efforts to deliver outstanding service and amenities to our guests.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (275)
Austin, TX
Reviewed January 21, 2009

I booked a queen size bed for a Saturday and Sunday night stay. When I arrived at the hotel I was greeted by a very smiling and happy woman. She informed me that I had been upgraded for free to a king size for both nights. I was given my key to my room (which btw was a real key) upon entering the room it smelled fresh and all the linens were freshly changed. The room had been cleaned and left in very good shape. This is a historic hotel and does have it's own way about it. The room was absolutely beautiful!! Sunday morning I put out "Please Do Not Disturb" and was pleasantly surprised not to have any knocks at my door. I also left it on the door until checked out Monday morning and can be very sure that no one entered the room.

I have two small gripes about the hotel there is no self parking and you are better off valet parking. It was 21 dollars for the whole weekend not bad but would have preferred to of self parked. The dining room is only open for the free breakfast any other meals must be sought out on your own. The shuttle will drive you to locations located as far as 3 miles away so it's not awful but I did end up needed to be in my room to work and had to order pizza for dinner. Would have much rather preferred room service than pizza.

I will stay at the Linden should I need to return to Richmond.

• Liked — It was truly a historic hotel
  • Disliked — No dining service aside from dinner
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled on business
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Thank you for taking the time to share feedback on your recent stay at the Linden Row Inn. It is always a pleasure to hear when our guests have enjoyable stays with us. We appreciate your feedback on the lack of a room service option and are currently evaluating options to provide in-room meals to guests. We thank you for staying with us and look forward to hosting you during a future visit to Richmond.
Baltimore
Reviewed December 22, 2008

I was approached by a crackhead on the way into the hotel, and was told to park across the street directly in front of hotel. They next morning my car window was smashed in. I thought the hotel was creepy, there was no microwave or fridge in room and room was freezing. Would NOT recommend staying here.

• Stayed December 2008, traveled on business
1 Thank bjd222
LindenRowInnMgmt, Manager at Linden Row Inn, responded to this review, January 7, 2009

We are sorry to hear about your concerns surrounding your stay with us. The Linden Row Inn is located in the heart of Downtown Richmond, within a couple of blocks of The Jefferson and Doubletree Hotels. While car thefts are not a frequent occurrence, as an urban hotel, we strongly recommend all guests to use our valet parking service rather than parking on the street. By parking with us, your car will be placed in a secure locked garage that is not accessible by the general public.

Regarding some of our other amenities, the Linden Row Inn offers complimentary microwaves and refrigerators in our parlour suites, and can provide refrigerators/microwaves in our Main House and Garden rooms for a nominal charge.

We once again thank you for your review and look forward to the opportunity to host you in the future.
Norwalk, Connecticut
Reviewed December 15, 2008

This stately, historic Inn should belong at the top of your list of places to stay in Richmond.

My wife and I stayed one night at the Linden Row Inn and couldn't have been happier.

We first booked a room with a queen sized bed, but upon arriving at the room, it wasn't yet made up.

We went back to reception and the young woman at the desk apologized and upgraded us to a room with a King bed for no charge!

The room was great; nicely decorated, huge, comfortable bed, beautiful bathroom/shower. All for just over $100!!

In closing, The Linden Row Inn is a must stay in Richmond.

• Liked — Room, friendly staff, architecture
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled on business
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
LindenRowInnMgmt, Manager at Linden Row Inn, responded to this review, January 6, 2009
Thank you for your feedback on a recent stay at the Linden Row Inn. It is always a pleasure to hear when our guests enjoy their stay with us. We look forward to the opportunity to host you and your wife during a future visit to Richmond!
DC
Reviewed December 2, 2008

We stayed at the hotel for 2 nights. Yes the hotel was packed but you shouldn't have to wait 2 hrs past check in time for your room which was booked at least 3 months in advance. There was a weird old smell in our room and squeaky floors. Some people may call that Historic but the room shouldn't smell like it's old! Worst of all............we got home and found out weeks later that we had bed bugs. Our exterminator pinpointed that it most likely came from this trip. I can't positively say that we got them from the Linden Row Inn but it all adds up to point in that direction.

• Liked — Distance to the Convention Center
  • Disliked — The Cleanliness of the room
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled on business
1 Thank sunshineofmil
LindenRowInnMgmt, Manager at Linden Row Inn, responded to this review, December 10, 2008
The Management of the Linden Row Inn would like to thank you for taking time to leave feedback on your stay at the Linden Row Inn. We are very sorry to hear that our property did not meet your expectations, or ours. Our Housekeeping team works hard to have rooms thoroughly cleaned and ready in a timely manner, and so we do sincerely apologize for being unable to have your room available upon check-in.

Like all leading hotels, we continuously monitor the condition of our guest rooms to ensure that they meet the highest standards. A professional extermination company recently conducted a thorough inspection of our guest rooms and they have confirmed that our rooms are completely clean.

Your feedback is extremely important to us, and will assist us in continuing to improve guest experience at the Linden Row Inn . We thank you for your review and hope that you will give us a second opportunity to provide you with the exceptional stay that you deserve.
Eastern Shore
Reviewed November 16, 2008

Was sent to two occupied rooms (one I went in and after a few minutes realized that the computer and various other belonging were not supplied by hotel, the other I took the precaution of knocking first and was answered by an unfriendly occupant. Desk clerk seemed to think this was normal.) When I finally got my own room, it was pretty dreary and cold. Thermostat was behind the armoire was covered in plaster dust; knobs falling off the dresser; large swath of unidentifiable scurf on the coverlet. Next morning at 8, the breakfast buffet was largely out of food and the "complimentary paper"s were all gone. I was not expecting a first-rate hotel, but not one aspect of my stay here even rose to the level of second rate. The best complexion I can put on it is that the hotel is trying to cut cost by keeping staffing and amenities as cheap as possible. For a hotel, this is probably not a good business plan.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Lack of cleanliness, incompetent help
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled on business
2 Thank nadwal
The Management of the Linden Row Inn would like to thank you for taking time to leave feedback on your stay at our property. We regret to hear that your stay was not up to your standards or ours. We would like to assure future guests that superb customer service is a top priority, and that we are continuously making improvements to ensure that our guest rooms are in perfect working order and our breakfast buffet is fully stocked at all times.

Please accept our most sincere apologies for the inconveniences you faced during your stay, and know that your review is being used as a tool for us to continue to make improvements. We would welcome you to contact our management team to further discuss any issues you may have and would appreciate the opportunity to serve you again in the future.
Virginia
Reviewed November 16, 2008

I loved this hotel! So charming and historic! I was excited when I heard that Edgar Allen Poe had played in the gardens. Very picturesque!! Of course, the Poe museum is in Richmond. I inquired whether there was a fee to see it but front desk could not tell me much about it other than there was a small fee.

We stayed in the main house, on the 3rd floor. Every room had a little white rocking chair that overlooked the garden in a little nook outside the room, which I loved! Only thing I did not like was that in the morning, the noise of people walking by on the porch (noisy clapboard) and talking, woke me up. I inquired about the garden suites which are located across from the main house/hotel and found that they were actually cheaper b/c they were smaller. I thought it would be cuter to stay here but the receptionist let me see a room which was right across from the front desk, but it was dark and gloomier than I thought it would be. My room was a little bigger, so I guess I would stick with that my next visit. The bathroom was big and nice.

Yes, the continental breakfast is nothing spectacular but the room was cute and there was a lady overlooking the room making sure all was OK. They had danishes, muffins, bagels, a waffle machine (do it yourself), cheerios and raisin bran. Apple, orange juice, and water and coffee/tea.

I felt safe there, did not find the neighborhood seedy. Just use common sense, as there are areas a couple blocks away that are not the greatest. We did take advantage of the free shuttle service, which was great. It says on the website that there is this and a chauffeur service but found there was just a shuttle that ran approx. every 1/2 hour. Just make sure you tell them where you are going. We got into a van with a man and the driver just assumed we were with him, so we were driven out of our way. We did not use the shuttle to be picked up from anywhere, just leaving from the hotel. They were very nice.

Check in /out was easy. We were staying there for a conference and our room was ready WAY early, and they let us check in early. And they let us stay later than checkout, which was very convenient. Some of our co-workers stayed at the Holiday Inn and Marriott- they missed out! I would definitely come back to the Linden. I want to bring my husband back for a romantic weekend!

• Liked — The building themselves and the garden where Poe played.
  • Disliked — Add a better breakfast. Would have liked eggs and bacon, etc...
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled on business
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Thank you for your review of the Linden Row Inn. It is always a pleasure to hear when our guests have wonderful stays. We are currently working on an Edgar Allan Poe-themed package to allow our guests to tie in their stay at the Linden Row Inn with some of the other Poe sights in the city. We hope to announce more on that in the near future. In the meanwhile, please do contact our Sales team to help plan a romantic weekend here with your husband. We look forward to hosting you again soon!