“Charming hotel!”

Ranked #6 of 81 Hotels in Richmond
Ellicott City, Maryland
“Charming hotel!”
Reviewed August 4, 2013

After spending 4 hours in the sun at the Redskins training camp, we were pleasantly surprised that the hotel was able to check us in an hour and a half early. They even gave us a free upgrade to a parlour suite. The suite was huge! The bed was very comfy and the linens were so soft. The complimentary breakfast included pastries, fruit, cereal, and waffles. It wasn't much, but it was enough to get us through the morning. We saved our appetite for trying a highly recommended local cafe for lunch. Staff at the inn were very friendly and street parking was always available. I have to admit I did have a hard time sleeping because I read the rumors that it was haunted. I was afraid the parlour doors were gonna slam shut in the middle of the night or that I would hear the rocking chairs creaking outside the window. But, since nothing happened, I look forward to coming back next year and getting a great night's sleep. HTTR!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
LindenRowInnMgmt, Manager at Linden Row Inn, responded to this review, August 15, 2013
Thank you for selecting the Linden Row Inn during your visit to Richmond for the Redskins Training Camp. We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. We look forward to seeing you again during next year's training camp!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (274)
Reviewed August 4, 2013

The pictures and website does not do a justice to what the hotel actually looks like. I felt as though I was staying in the home of someone back in the early 1800s. Quaint, beautiful, and a great safe location in the city. I would recommend this hotel to anyone over any chain or other private hotel in Richmond.

• Stayed July 2013
Thank you for your review! We are glad to hear that you enjoyed our historic property. We hope to welcome you back soon!
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed August 3, 2013

After traveling to Richmond for the last 40 years and never feeling I'd found the best spot, I can say that the Linden Row suits my needs perfectly, Perfect location with good restaurants nearby, wonderful walking down Monument Avenue and very convenient to downtown. Nicely decorated rooms... breakfast was barely adequate with plastic utensils etc... and a good sense of hospitality. However, charging a dollar for a cheap 29 cent razor doesn't fit the general elegance of the place.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of the Linden Row Inn. We are glad to hear that you have decided to adopt us as your new home in Richmond, and we look forward to hosting you again in the future!
Virginia Beach, Virginia
Reviewed August 1, 2013

This will be a hotel you will remember. It is NOT one of those box type of hotels...At first when you pull up you might feel alittle leary...but dont worry the best is yet to come. Remember 'dont judge a book by its cover' is never more true than here. We ended up staying in 4 rooms with a group of 8 so I got to see pretty much every type of room. If I could give this hotel 10 stars I would except maybe not for the reasons you might. I love and adore old historic places and Im willing to forgo comforts to be in a place of history! This place was the exception to the rule..it is historic and comfortable..first thing our teens did was grab the Iphone and go taking pictures of all the amazing paintings on the walls. I could not beleive the size of the rooms and how true to the period they kept this hotel. From the wallpaper to the furniture true to period of the history. Next lets talk about the beds...heavenly! I brought my own pillow Im just that kinda person but the bedding was wonderful and the turn down service at night was a nice touch. The bathrooms are all done in granite and lovely looking. Water was hot when needed. One thing I will say is that we did love the haunted aspect of the hotel and at one point three of us all heard a strange sound....:). I loved this hotel and if our daughters get into VCU this will be our home away from home! On a side note..check out Hollywood Cemetery amazing history too. When trying to please a group of 8 people it is difficult however, after two nights there we all left a little sad that we are going and that my fellow travlers is a hard thing to top!!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for selecting the Linden Row Inn for your recent visit to Richmond. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed our historic property.

Your observations on the look and feel of our Parlour Suites and Main House rooms are also appreciated (our Garden rooms do not have as much of a historic decor). When our property converted to a hotel in 1988, the Historic Richmond Foundation provided valuable input into the restoration of the rooms and public spaces so that they closely resembled a typical row home from the 19th century. While we have made some updates to suit the modern traveler (e.g., flat screen TVs in our guest rooms), we are proud to provide our guests with snippets of the past during their stay with us.

We wish the best of luck to your daughters as they go through the college application process, and we hope that they do decide to attend VCU so that we may have the pleasure to host you again!
Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed July 30, 2013

Excited upon our arrival at this potentially charming hotel, we were greeted warmly by a welcoming clerk at check-in, but our experience was somewhat diminished during the rest of our stay . . . We had reserved what we thought to be a garden room with one bed but received instead an apparent "upgrade" to a larger room with two beds in the main house . . . Though dark and dated, room 123 was quite spacious, but the atmosphere would probably be better appreciated by Mr. Poe and his readers . . . There was but one window which looked out to an interior corridor and perhaps just a glimpse of an exterior courtyard through a doorway where the garden rooms are situated . . . We wandered out onto the galleries overlooking the courtyard area, which was absolutely enchanting, but then reluctantly returned to sleep in our cloistered chamber . . . Unfortunately, the fair city of Richmond was enduring an intense heat wave during our visit, and the room air conditioning was woefully inadequate, despite being controlled by an in-room thermostat . . . We sweated all night as we rested fitfully, without even a ceiling fan to dispel our discomfort . . . Finally, the daytime manager on duty when we checked out seemed not so pleasantly obligated when she appeared none too happy to retrieve our valet-parked vehicle, as if she had been obliged to pay for parking her own car overnight . . . We would look forward to another stay under different circumstances, just as long as we're booked into one of those quaint garden rooms in that beautiful courtyard!

Room Tip: Avoid #123 in the main house . . . Roomy but gloomy!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
LindenRowInnMgmt, Manager at Linden Row Inn, responded to this review, August 12, 2013
Thank you for your review. We are extremely sorry that our service fell short on quite a few fronts during your stay at the Linden Row Inn.

In general, we try our best to keep our guests assigned to the room type originally booked. However, there are sometimes circumstances beyond our control (e.g., maintenance issues) which would require us to move a guest to a room with a different bed type. We are very sorry that you were placed into a room which was not to your liking.

We would like to discuss your experience in further detail, and invite you to call our management office so that we may find a way to make things up to you before your next visit.
Belfast, Northern Ireland
Reviewed July 29, 2013

We spent two nights at the Linden Row Inn in mid-July on our way back from Hilton Head, S. Carolina to Washington DC and had booked two rooms at the Inn via the hotel's internet discount booking scheme so we got a good rate to begin with. Our initial impressions were favourable - the building's facade is very pretty comprising seven (I think) row or what we would call terrrace houses, which have been incorporated to form the hotel and gardens. The garden was charming and although we didn't spend any time in it, I could see how one could while away a few hours reading or just chilling there.

The hotel lobby itself was quaint and we were welcomed warmly and efficiently by the hotel receptionist. It was a pleasant surprise to learn that a continental breakfast was included in the room rate, which we hadn't been aware of beforehand.

The external walkway outside the room was a quirky feature and one that we hadn't come across before, however, we had some fun lugging our cases down a flight of stairs and then up another flight of stairs to access our room! Fortunately, there is a lift from the hotel lobby to each floor so at least there weren't too many stairs subsequently to deal with. We had reserved two garden rooms, which were very spacious albeit spartanly furnished and comfortably accommodated our party of five - two adults and three teenage kids. Unfortunately, I just didn't like our room which had one small window that was disproportionate to the size of the room itself plus the decor was very jaded, and to be truthful, a bit dingy, which I found disappointing as we have stayed in much older hotels across Europe that have managed to retain their charm and character whilst having a cheerier, more uplifting ambience. Our kids' room was nicer insofar as it had two windows overlooking the street, which was very quiet. In fact, all of Richmond seemed to be quiet. I have never been in a sleepier city centre - it was practically deserted on the Sunday! Even Berne in Switzerland is livelier and that's saying something as it's Sleepyville personified!

The breakfast was fairly basic - I would have preferred to have had more of a choice of breads as opposed to the bagels and rather heavy Danish pastries. The kids loved making waffles on the waffle-maker - a highlight for them. The coffee was very weak and lacking in flavour, which seemed to be the case throughout our trip in the US; we must just be used to European-strength coffees. We arrived down around 9.00 am on our first morning (Sunday) to find that they'd run out of crockery and cutlery so we had to use paper plates and plastic knives, spoons etc - not something that I'd expect in a hotel - motels yes so that was a bit of a let-down.

The staff were very friendly and helpful in recommending historical attractions and sights to see and they booked the courtesey car to take us direct to the Civil War Centre at Tredegar, which saved us a lengthy walk in blistering heat. Our driver was extremely friendly and entertaining and offered to come back and pick us up, which we declined: still, it's a nice touch provided by the hotel and we appreciated it.

Overall, the Linden Row is fine but it could be so much better particularly in view of its history. It just needs a bit of a makeover - some brighter wallpaper, fresh carpeting or wooden floors and new lighting would make a huge difference in the bedrooms. The bathrooms were great - fully tiled, spotlessly clean and the kids' bathroom had an original fireplace which was a novelty for them. he air conditioning unit was extremely noisy however that was probably our fault as we didn't work out how to turn it down a couple of notches until we were leaving.!

I'd love to have given this hotel a much better review but I really didn't enjoy being in the bedroom at all as I found it rather depressing. I'm convinced that a little bit of TLC could transform the rooms in the Linden Row and hope that the management views my comments as being constructive only.

Room Tip: Go for one of the rooms in the main house - I understand that these are a bit more plush.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank supercritical
Thank you for your detailed review of the Linden Row Inn. We appreciate your constructive comments and will certainly take them into account as part of our ongoing efforts to improve the guest experience. We look forward to welcoming you back on a future visit to Richmond!
Norfolk, Virginia
Reviewed July 28, 2013

My family stayed here by a fortunate accident. We were using Priceline and were lucky to get this hotel at a very reasonable rate. Had I known about it before, i probably would have tried to stay here. It was close to many things I was interested in. The room was big with no exterior window at all. It had a small window looking out over an interior walk way but it was so unusual that it was a nice touch. The bathrooms had been updated but the furniture did not seem new. The bed was comfortable. Best was the architecture exploring the building. I expect many of the rooms have their own charm but I did not see the others. The front desk person did not seem especially helpful but is attitude seemed almost snooty. The public space was nice and the Courtyard was appealing. It was a short walk to the terrific canal walk and James River.

Room Tip: Ask to see a selection of available rooms and pick something unexpected.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your detailed review of the Linden Row Inn. We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay at our historic property. We look forward to hosting you again soon!