Linden Row Inn
Ranked #6 of 82 Hotels in Richmond
Reviewed January 18, 2012

My husband and I stayed for a night at Linden Row recently, and we loved it as much as we expected. This was our third experience here. We held our wedding reception at Linden Row 14 years ago, and then we went back for our first anniversary. Last Saturday night we were able to return. It was as charming as ever! I love the historic feel of this place. For being in the middle of the city, it is a very unique place. Everything presents an experience that just can't be found in a chain hotel (the old fashioned elevator, the plank flooring on each level, the parlor off the lobby, the beautiful round staircases in each section, etc.). The garden area in the back is beautiful to walk around.

We stayed in one of the main rooms. It was large, decorated with antiques, and had a beautiful bathroom. We got the "Getaway Package," which included a gift certificate to a wonderful restaurant, valet parking, and sparkling wine. They even provided a shuttle to the restaurant. The women at the front desk were extremely helpful; this place provides excellent customer service. I can't wait to go back!

Room Tip: The Getaway Package is worth the extra money.
1  Thank xosted
LindenRowInnMgmt, Manager at Linden Row Inn, responded to this reviewResponded February 14, 2012

Thank you for sharing snippets of your enjoyable stay at the Linden Row Inn. We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed our Getaway Package with Bistro 27 and we look forward to hosting you during future anniversary celebrations!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,079)

Reviewed January 16, 2012

My wife and I decided to spend a weekend in Richmond visiting the museums and historic places before the Christmas holidays. I had read the good reviews about Linden Row on Trip advisor and decided to try it out for the first time. I am very happy with the decision I made. The Inn just happened to be in a near central location to most of Richmond's historic attractions (Confederate White House, Edgar Allen Poe museum, Hollywood cemetery, Richmond Museum of Arts, etc.) as well as some popular shopping districts.

The room was very clean, quiet, and decorated beautifully. Because of the season deal I was able to receive online (their website) for our weekend stay, I splurged extra $ for wine and chocolate truffles to be placed in our room as part of my reservation. My wife really enjoyed both items (extra points for me!!!). The continental breakfast was the usual simple fare (cereal, fruit, pastries, waffles, etc.). I would suggest the valet service due to the limited parking spaces around the area of the inn. For the daily fee it was worth it (unlimited in & out until 10pm) because the inn uses a nearby (across the street) private/reserved parking garage. All you have to do is call the front desk and let them know when you want to use your vehicle. Linden Row also offers a shuttle service to take you anywhere within a 3 mile radius of the inn.

The staff at Linden Row was very professional, courteous, and helpful with providing us with tips on where to go and what to do with the limited time we had in the city (We did take up several of their suggestions which made our stay that much more enjoyable). One evening, when my wife and I were picked up by the shuttle service in a popular shopping district (where we were dropped off hours earlier) we had to take a different street route (due to construction and evening traffic) back to the Inn and ended up receiving our own guided tour of Monument Avenue. Our driver pointed out and explained every historical monument to us as we crept along in street traffic heading back to the Inn!

My wife and plan on coming back to Linden Row Inn for more future weekend stays in Richmond. I can't wait to see the courtyard in full bloom in the spring time.

1  Thank Glockconion
LindenRowInnMgmt, Manager at Linden Row Inn, responded to this reviewResponded January 30, 2012

Thank you for your generous comments about the Linden Row Inn. We are pleased to hear that we were able to assist in providing a memorable weekend for you and your wife, and look forward to seeing you in the Spring!

Reviewed January 16, 2012

On a recent trip to Richmond for a concert at Carpenter Theatre - Richmond Centerstage we were trying to decide where to stay and came across an ad on Groupon and decided for the price we would give it a shot. So glad we did, this quaint hotel was well worth it! The staff was very friendly and helpful. At first, we were concerned about parking but had no trouble at all finding spots on the same street as the hotel. During the busy season, it's great to know that they have a valet service. Our room was clean, beds were comfortable and the hotel was very quiet! We originally had the plan to take advantage of the hotel shuttle (which is a great advantage) for dinner & our concert, but decided we didn't need it since everything was within walking distance which is yet another advantage. Overall we had a great experience and have nothing but positive things to say about the Linden Row Inn!

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank Peanut5478

Thank you for writing a review about the Linden Row Inn. We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and hope that we will see you again when you are back in town!

Reviewed January 11, 2012

Linden Row Inn is this quaint, old set of row houses that has been many things over the years, including a school for girls during the Civil War. The court yard that is surrounded by the inn was beautiful. We were there at New Year's and a wedding was taking place there. During the winter they have a great special that will make it easy on anyone's pocket book. The room we stayed in (225) was one of the smaller rooms, but still nice. The bed was good and the the bathroom had been redone fairly recently. The marble floor in the bathroom was chilly, but they gave us plenty of bath mats to lay down. The towel quality (which is a good way to judge a hotel) was very nice. I was a quality assurance coordinator at a time share resort in Gatlinburg, TN, so I know how to judge quality. I wasn't able to explore a larger room, but I hope to in the near future. You can almost feel the ghosts of those who came before! It's not the Hilton, but it is full of charm and old southern style. The folks who make this place hum are gracious and generous with their time and are more then willing to do what they can to make your stay as comfortable as possible. The valet/shuttle service was wonderful! And while the continental breakfast was standard fare, drinking coffee in real china cups in the parlor, early in the morning was beautiful. We live in Richmond and we will stay at the Linden Row Inn again for a great "Staycation"!!

Room Tip: I would say "go with the larger rooms with parlors". That's what we are going to try...
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you for sharing your experience at the Linden Row Inn with the TripAdvisor community. We are glad to hear that you enjoyed our services and amenities and look forward to hosting you again soon!

Reviewed January 11, 2012

Finding the Linden Row ad on Groupon when my husband and I were dithering about what to do for New Year's Eve was pure serendipity. As a Civil War buff, my husband was delighted to be in Richmond again, and I loved the historic setting, as well. The staff was extremely helpful, providing excellent tips for dining and sightseeing, as well as friendly attention to our comfort. The room was large and comfortable, with a few interesting features to accommodate the age of the building. The location was fabulous for us as we love to walk wherever we are and we could easily stroll to many downtown sites (Monument Row, the Jefferson Hotel, the Poe Museum, the Virginia Holocaust Museum, etc.), but were also reassured that the complimentary shuttle service would drop us off and/or collect us from our destination if we wanted them to - an ideal solution for New Year's celebrations!
One unique aspect of our visit was that a large wedding party, hosting both the rehearsal dinner and subsequent wedding on the 30th and 31st of December, was in residence during our stay. This was not an imposition at all - we enjoyed seeing the courtyard transformed into a twinkling fairyland of white lights and white roses, although my spouse was not quite as enthusiastic about the presence of a bag-piper at both events as I was. In spite of the number of people and preparations involved, our sleep was not disturbed, nor was any lack of attention paid to our comfort.
Minor annoyances included: a strong, pervasive vibration of unidentified source in the bathroom (which was, otherwise, well-appointed with sufficient large soft towels and other amenities) and the fact that the door to the TV compartment on the top of the armoire obstructed the bathroom door when opened. The latter wasn't a huge imposition, but would be very annoying if more than two avid TV watchers occupied the room, because the bottom of the door is right at forehead height for most people.
Breakfast was abundant, varied, and well-attended.

Room Tip: Only second floor rooms in the main house are accessible with no interior steps
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to write a detailed review about your recent stay at the Linden Row Inn. We truly appreciate your compliments about our service during a very busy weekend and look forward to seeing you again very soon!

Reviewed January 5, 2012

This was my first stay at Linden Row and I just loved it! I picked this hotel because of the location and because it was historic. The room was super clean and decorated nicely. The stafff was nice and helpful. The BEST part was that once we parked our car, we didn't have to drive anywhere because the hotel shuttle took us and picked us up from wherever we wanted to go in downtown Richmond. The shuttle driver even offered to take us for a ride down Monument Ave on our way back from dinner. I will definately stay there again and would definately recommend it to others!

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
LindenRowInnMgmt, Manager at Linden Row Inn, responded to this reviewResponded January 13, 2012

Thanks for taking the time to write a review about your recent experience at the Linden Row Inn. We are pleased to hear that you loved our historic inn and we look forward to seeing you again soon!

Reviewed January 4, 2012

First the good news. The hotel is in a vibrant part of Richmond near Virginia Commonwealth University and the magnificent Jefferson Hotel (a truly matchless lobby-sitting experience!).

But the room... Let's just say one person's "well worn" is another person's "shabby." I would also add "charmless" to describe our room, with the harsh florescent light overhead only accenting the huge stain on the carpet. The bed was also badly in need of a new mattress.

On the plus side, we only paid $80-90 for the room, so I suppose we got what we paid for. And the bathroom, by contrast to the rest of the room, looked like it had been redone fairly recently.

Room Tip: This hotel hosts wedding receptions so stay away from "Garden Rooms" on the weekend.
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about the Linden Row Inn.

We are sorry to hear that your room failed to meet expectations. We have noted the concerns expressed in your review and will be working with our Maintenance and Housekeeping teams to ensure that such issues get addressed in a timely manner.

We appreciate constructive feedback and hope that you will give us another opportunity to host you.