“No hot water in the morning!”
Review of Linden Row Inn

Linden Row Inn
Ranked #6 of 81 Hotels in Richmond
Ellicott City
“No hot water in the morning!”
Reviewed April 21, 2011

My wife and I stayed with 2 other couples at this hotel. I really would like to say nice things about it, but I have to warn you about lack of hot water in the morning. What else can I say. Took a shower at 7:00 am; let the water run for 20 minutes and still no hot water. Others having breakfast had the same issue. Other people traveling with my party that showered latter and had plenty of hot water. So I figured it was a one day problem that could happen anywhere. Next day, my wife had no hot water when she bathed at 7:00, by 7:30 there was plenty of hot water. So if your schedule requires you to get up and about before 7:00, find someplace else.

Otherwise the rooms were clean, the staff helpful (except when I complained about the lack of hot water). Our room had a little TV with poor reception, but others in our group had nice TVs with good reception.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ynapa456
LindenRowInnMgmt, Manager at Linden Row Inn, responded to this review, April 27, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to write a TripAdvisor review about the Linden Row Inn. We are extremely sorry to hear about the inconveniences faced while you stayed with us.

During your stay, we had a minor issue with our boiler system which caused intermittent shortages of hot water in some areas of the hotel for a brief period of time. This was a mechanical issue which had no connection to water usage at a specific time of the day.

While it took some time for an expert to diagnose the issue and acquire the necessary replacement parts, the issue was resolved as quickly as possible. We would like to assure you and all future guests that we have not experienced this problem since the dates of your stay.

We truly apologize for not being able to offer consistent hot water during your stay. We invite you to contact our Management office if you would like to discuss your experience in further detail, and look forward to the possibility of providing a more satisfactory stay to you and your friends during a future visit to Richmond.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (274)
Casper
Reviewed April 14, 2011

Great hotel...loved every minute of it!!! Very historical and very accommodating!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to share your "awesome" experience at the Linden Row Inn. We are excited to hear that you loved your stay with us, and look forward to hosting you again very soon!
Takoma Park, Maryland
Reviewed April 12, 2011

We just came back from staying at the Linden Row Inn. I had a "buy with me" coupon that I used. We came to see the Picasso exhibit at the VMFA. The staff at Linden Row Inn could not have been nicer. We used the free shuttle service to go to and from dinner and to and from the museum. Everything was so easy. The free breakfast was OK but had fresh bagels and coffee which worked for us. Our room was big and just fine. I would recommend it and I would also return. We had a great stay.

Room Tip: Sign up for Groupons in the area.
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank janeg2007
Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience at the Linden Row Inn. We are thrilled to read that you had such a wonderful stay and will look forward to sharing your feedback with our team.

We are also pleased to hear that you enjoyed our spacious rooms, free continental breakfast, and complimentary in-town shuttle service.

We appreciate your comments and hope to see you again soon!
Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed April 7, 2011

Linden Row was definitely a disappointment for me and I won't stay there again. The room was just dingy and the bedding was musty and seemed desperately in need of updating. The charm of the old building really isn't held up with the furnishings. The bed was not that comfortable and the bedding just seemed old and almost threadbare.
My room must have been over some furnace or machinery in the building because the entire night there was this incredibly LOUD hum which basically kept me up all night. I had an important interview the following morning, so rest was important and I didn't get it.
My shower was COLD in the morning, and I didn't call the management as I didn't have time to wait for something to be done as I needed to get on the road early. I'm talking COLD. no hot water.
The breakfast was lame at best. Stale cheerios, packaged mini-donuts put in a glass cake stand.
When I went to use the lobby computer the screen saver photo was a young man in boxer shorts with a guitar in one hand and a semi-automatic weapon in the other. Not exactly the image I want to see at a supposedly nice hotel.
I can't speak to the management as I didn't call to complain as I was desperate for sleep after a long travel day. The gentleman who checked me in fairly late at night was very friendly and the highlight of the stay.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank Moonmom21
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your stay at the Linden Row Inn. We are sincerely sorry to hear that your experience at our historic inn did not meet your expectations.

Our team takes pride in ensuring that every guest has a satisfactory stay with us. On that note, we strongly encourage our guests to voice any concerns or requests while still on the property so that we may address such requests in a timely manner. It is therefore regretful to hear that you did not contact our Front Desk while you were staying with us as we would have been happy to quickly relocate you to a quieter room with a different bedding package.

In terms of the hot water, we did have a minor issue with our boiler which caused intermittent shortages of hot water in some parts of the hotel for brief periods of time. That issue has since been diagnosed and repaired, and we apologize for any inconvenience you faced during your stay.

We take guest feedback extremely seriously, and invite you to contact our Management office to discuss your experience in further detail. Thank you again for your comments, and we do hope that you will offer us the opportunity to host you again.
Luray, Virginia
Reviewed February 25, 2011

We stayed here for the weekend just to get away... the place was ok. We never used the shuttle so I can't comment on that. We did us the Valet parking and I have no complaints about that at all. The hotel is self was different but nothing great especially for the price. We paid around $200 a night on a winter special. It was clean but the room spray was very over whelming when you walked in. the room was ok, it was very big and clean, but the decor could have been much nicer. The room had 2 fire places neither which where working fire places. They do have complimentary breakfast which again was nothing great but it is nice to not have to pay extra or try to find a place. During our 2 night stay no one came to make our bed or replace our coffee or towels. If you are staying here there is a really nice deli right behind the inn an very easy walk with great food! I think the was Pearly's. There is also a great Cuban restaurant that is a very easy walk behind the inn that was very good too. Over all for the money I think I would stay somewhere eles if I where to go back. The place has alot of potential but is just hasn't received the love it needs to succeed yet.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank bjessee
LindenRowInnMgmt, Manager at Linden Row Inn, responded to this review, April 18, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience at the Linden Row Inn. We are always looking for ways to improve our service and apologize that your stay did not meet expectations.

We are sorry to hear that the smell of the cleaning products overwhelmed you. Our housekeeping team had piloted a new line of cleaning products earlier this year, and based on similar guest feedback, we quickly transitioned back to our previous milder-scented cleaning products. Since then, we have not received any additional comments on this topic.

We are also sorry to hear that you did not receive housekeeping service during your stay. Our housekeeping team services every occupied room provided that the guest has not placed a Do-Not-Disturb sign on their door in the morning. If you had not placed a Do-Not-Disturb sign on your door, please feel free to contact our Management office so that we may better understand the situation.

Finally, we are sorry to hear that you were disappointed that our in-room fireplaces are inactive. For fire code safety purposes, we are unable to offer active fireplaces in our guest rooms.

We truly appreciate the constructive feedback shared in your review. If your travels do bring you back to Richmond, we hope that you will give us another chance. Thank you again for sharing your feedback.
North Wilkesboro, North Carolina
Reviewed February 16, 2011

We booked the Linden Row Inn via Hotwire. I'm so glad we lucked into this hotel! What a wonderful stay in a great location. Located in downtown Richmond within walking distance of Monument Avenue and lots of restaurants. Checking in and out was a breeze! And the staff was very friendly with lots of great recommendations for dinner.

As for the hotel itself-- it is charming. Row houses have been joined together to form a boutique hotel. If you want a cookie-cutter chain hotel, it is not for you. But if you want a unique experience with a historic feel, I highly recommend it! The room we had was large and spacious, decorated with some antiques and some replicas. The overall result was charming and cozy. The bed was comfortable and the bedding was more than acceptable. There was some cracked paint, and dings on the wall but the entire hotel (added to the historic ambiance in my book!) was impeccably clean and well-kept. It was rather like staying in someone's home, or a cozy bed and breakfast but with more privacy! I wish it had been warm enough for us to enjoy the courtyard garden area because it was lovely.

The continental breakfast is included in the price of the stay was the average fair, waffle iron to make your own waffles, danishes, doughnuts, fruit, cereal, etc. but the extra effort the staff put into the service of it, as well as the cozy dining room, made it a very nice, leisurely meal.

Valet Parking was available (I believe it was $12.00/day) or street parking was free. We parked on the street and had no trouble getting a space in front of the hotel. We also felt the neighborhood was safe enough to leave the car on the street, as well as walk anywhere you wanted at night without worry.

I would recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank elocinoco
LindenRowInnMgmt, Manager at Linden Row Inn, responded to this review, March 1, 2011
Thank you for the many kind words you shared about your experience at the Linden Row Inn. We are happy to hear that we exceeded your expectations and will be sharing your compliments with our guest services team. We look forward to seeing you again soon!
Virginia
Reviewed January 26, 2011

We stayed at the Linden Row Inn for two nights in January 2011. First, if you want a chain hotel, this is not for you. If you like historic and interesting buildings, you will like this one. It felt like hotels we have stayed at in England. It is on the edge of the downtown--not far from the famous and expensive Jefferson Hotel. Our room was clean and comfortable and the bathroom was new. The bed was OK, but could have been better. The only real complaint we have were the awful cheap bed pillows. The staff was helpful and efficient. We used valet parking one night and parked on the street the other. The hotel is close to the downtown where our business was. The shuttle was good. I think the price was very fair for what we got. Included breakfast was only OK but adequate. We'd go back.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank RafeBertie
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at the Linden Row Inn. As a boutique historic hotel in the heart of downtown, we pride ourselves on offering our guests a unique experience that cannot be found at many larger/chain hotels. So, we are pleased to hear that you appreciated our personalized service and complimentary amenities.

We are sorry to hear that our pillows did not meet your expectations. We have recently upgraded the pillows in many of our guest rooms, and hope that you will get a chance to experience our new pillows during a future stay. We look forward to hosting you again soon!