“A small jewel in Richmond.”
Review of The Berkeley Hotel

The Berkeley Hotel
Ranked #8 of 82 Hotels in Richmond
Reviewed January 19, 2011

What a wonderfully unpretentious luxury hotel. Top notch staff, good beds and good food in the dining room.

• Stayed: January 2011
1  Thank Teasnob

Reviewed January 6, 2011

I travel a lot. This time happened to be with my very spoilt and fussy teenage son. I had seen this hotel a few times so I finally decided to give it a try. To say I was surprised would be an understatement. The suite we had was exquisite. Clean with a beautiful decor. For the price I paid, the room was superb. The staff amazing, well informed, kind, but most of all very welcoming, a rarity these days. The piece de resistence was the food. As I mentioned I stay in hotels a lot and even good hotel food is usually only ok. Well this food could be compared to any five star restaurant. WOW! I had the lamb and my son the crab cakes. This hotel reminded me of the hotels I usually stay in New York or Paris. I will be back very soon.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank ggroszman
Reviewed January 4, 2011

This was our third time staying at the Berkeley and each time is a pleasure. The rooms (the two we've stayed in) were unique and spacious. There is a nice "old school" character to the building although it is actually relatively new. The location is great, easy to get on and off Interstate 95 and easy access to Shockoe Bottom and downtown Richmond. One day we visited Monticello and the next day Colonial Williamsburg.

Each staff person we encountered was friendly and helpful. We also had a great meal in the restaurant. We definitely plan to stay here again on our way through Richmond. It's a lovely surprise.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank TimberNY
Reviewed December 7, 2010

A very elegant hotel. Room was very spacious and unbelievably clean. Not historic, kind of an 80's boutique, but elegant in the small lobby. Service was friendly if not fully polished. Location is convenient to a lot of restaurant and some sightseeing and retail. A great value we thought. Keys are still the old metal keys which was kind of an interesting touch.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank Flyway2much
Reviewed November 27, 2010

We stayed over Thanksgiving and not only was the dining room closed, there was also no housekeeping service. The room was run down and to top it off, we got overcharged on our bill and had to remind them of the internet rate we had booked. I have never had such terrible service before. What a joke.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank jetset19
dennypppp, Manager at The Berkeley Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 2, 2010

Please accept our deepest apologies. Our restaurant is open on Thanksgiving
Day for our traditional holiday brunch. During your stay we had set up a
complimentary continental breakfast in our lobby from 7 a.m. until 10 a.m.
Also, we are surrounded by restaurants and coffee houses. I am truly sorry
that this arrangement did not suit your needs. I also apologize that this
guest had to remind us of their special rate. We should have caught this
ourselves and we will continue to train our staff to provide ever better
four diamond service. We sincerely appreciate your business and we strive
to meet our guests expectations. Please contact me directly at 804-225-5148
to discuss how you may provide us another opportunity to earn your business.
General Manager.

Reviewed November 15, 2010

I stayed here while visiting family in town. Loved my room! Very spacious with a sofa, flat screen tv and a balcony. The bed and linens were more comfortable than my bed at home! The bathroom was very roomy. The staff was very polite and welcoming, they knew me by name and always asked if they could help with anything. The hotel was walking distance to several great restaurants and shopping. I had breakfast in my room each morning. I thouroughly enjoyed my stay and would recommend this hotel to anyone travelling to Richmond.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled solo
1  Thank nancym11900
Reviewed November 15, 2010

My husband and I spent our wedding night at the Berkeley over twelve years ago, and just had another opportunity to stay at the amazing Governor's Suite last weekend. We have three small children, so getting away is pretty tough, and walking into the gorgeous, decadent Berkeley and staying in this suite with a grandiose view of Richmond was like another honeymoon! From the relaxing drinks at the bar to the service to the bed which allowed us to sleep in with style, we'll do it again as soon as we can!

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple