“Great Stay”

Ranked #6 of 81 Hotels in Richmond
bethesda
“Great Stay”
Reviewed June 12, 2009

My wife, son and I stayed here at the beginning of a spring break trip to Cape Charles on the eastern shore. Our van had 3 bikes and a kayak piled on the top. Staff found good parking beside the hotel and later helpfully moved bikes, kayak and van to a secure lot overnight. We checked in early to a comfortable and quiet room, then walked to Millies for lunch and then up to Patrick Henry's Liberty or Death church, and then back to the hotel for a bike ride to the civil war museum and Belle Isle. I like the hotel and the location, and recommend it even for people without bikes and kayaks.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (138)
Washington, DC
Reviewed June 8, 2009

The location is perfect for the federal court house. The rooms are large enough to use for a small business meeting and witness preparation. We used the business center to prepare new trial exhibits. Before leaving for court, we had a large breakfast at a very reasonable price. The staff were very friendly and accommodating. We'll stay here every time we're in court in Richmond.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business
Northern Virginia
Reviewed June 2, 2009

We thoroughly enjoyed our recent two-night stay at the Berkeley. Our room had a huge balcony, which added even more "living space" to our comfortable room. Numerous reviews referenced the great hotel staff . . . and they were. We expressed an interest in the hotel restaurant's fixed-price dinner menu available between 5:30 and 6:30 p.m. and made a 6:30 reservation. We subsequently changed it to a later time, knowing we would forego the good deal. But no, the desk staff had passed along our preference to order off the fixed menu and it was still available to us. We were very surprised -- and pleased -- and enjoyed a delicious dinner. The hotel is also ideally situated in Shockoe Slip -- many fun restaurants and shops, a good selection of live music for all age groups. The newly-renovated Capitol is just a short walk away, as is the White House of the Confederacy and other historic sites. The Berkeley is a great choice for a sightseeing visit to Richmond.

North Carolina
Reviewed May 25, 2009

My family has now stayed at the Berkeley several nights and we are very, very pleased with everything. My brother is in MCV and our family needed to have a place to relax, and let someone else take care of our tired bodies. As soon as we drive up, our journey of relaxation begins. They unload my car, take the bags to my room, and park my car. They put me in a room with a balcony where I sit and watch the "not so tired "people below. I get a call to see if all is good and ask if I want a wake-up call. When we go down to dinner the service and dining room is not noisy, and we have the wait staff's undivided attention. Each dish served defines fantastic with flavors that blend and not mix. After dinner it is time for a night cap in our room with room service. I then pour myself into a very, very comfortable bed and comfy pillows. When we are ready to check out ,my car is waiting. While they load my luggage they also stop to open the door for a passenger on the street side.
Oh did I mention that they remember your name when you come in and out ? The service is impeccable, and the restaurant is so good it is hard to quantify. I plan to stay there several more times in the next few weeks.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family
Pennsylvania
Reviewed May 17, 2009

The shower was very weak, not invigorating at all. The bed was just all right. Great location to get to down town dining and other attractions. We thoroughly enjoyed the Tobacco Company restaurant across the street, although a bit pricey.

St. Louis
Reviewed May 6, 2009

We just got back from our stay at the Berkley and I'm not sure why the hotel isn't in the top ten. The staff was top notch. Desk clerks, bellmen, maids all were attentive and polite. Excatly what you would expect from first rate hotel. The room was clean and well appointed and the location was right in the heart of the city

One of the other reviewers complained about the bar across the street. It didn't bother me or the people in my party, but I could see a cause for complaint. If you need dead silence when you sleep, request a room as far away from the bar as possible and you won't even notice it. We had rooms that were very close and I was the only person out of 4 in two different rooms to notice the noise after hours

Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed April 19, 2009

The hotel staff was exceptional. We really enjoyed the location making an evening walk and finding different types of dining choices.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple