The Berkeley Hotel
$105
$146
$125
1,000 results
All reviewsshockoe slipsmall hotelcobblestone streetvalet parkingtobacco companylovely hotelvalet servicecanal walkstreet parkingrestaurants and shopslocation is greatshockoe bottomroom was largegreat roomfront desk staffsouthern hospitalitybed was comfortable
FilterAll languages
Reviewed January 23, 2014

My wife and I stayed at the Berkeley for a weekend trip to Richmond. I've stayed several times in the Omni Hotel across the street and always wanted to try the Berkeley. I was very impressed with the Berkeley and will be staying in this wonderful hotel in the future. The most impressive thing about the hotel during our stay was the condition of the hotel room. I've been in many hotels in the past and can say that the room and bathroom were as close to perfect as possible. Usually, there is something wrong, something in need of maintenance. Our room was very nice and very comfortable. The breakfast was included in our weekend package and the food was great, just the right amount to get started every day. The only negative during the stay was that we received a second floor room overlooking 12th street which could be noisy especially on a Saturday night. I'd request an inner room next time. The hotel also does not have its own parking garage but offers valet service. We decided to park in a lot just a block away so no big deal. There are plenty of options nearby for restaurants as well in the Shockoe Slip (where hotel is located) and nearby Shockoe Bottom areas. I would highly recommend the Berkeley.

2  Thank LibMan
Reviewed January 18, 2014

We stayed overnight recently at the Berkeley Hotel. This was in celebration of my companion's birthday. I made the reservations online through their own site, and specified the occasion in advance. I booked the king terrace suite and asked for a quiet room, away from the noise of the Tobacco Company across the street. The only difficulty we experienced was parking. We had valet parking included as a part of our package, along with dinner and the Berkeley breakfast. We had to circle around and then park diagonally with the flashers on so we could get into the lobby to request valet service. Once we were inside with our luggage, everything went very smoothly. We checked in and the personnel were extremely helpful, cheerful and efficient. We went to the room and enjoyed watching the sun set over the Richmond skyline. We then went down to Nightingale's lounge and had some wine prior to our dinner. The wine list was extensive, with a great selection of Virginia wines. There were only three other people in the bar while we were there. We had dinner in the Dining Room, and both of us had the crab bisque, and crabcake plate with smoked tomatoes, along with a bottle of Barboursville Rose'.. It was the BEST crab bisque we both had EVER had! Nice presentation, great waiter. We topped it off with dessert and then strolled around Shockoe Slip, taking in the sights. Very enjoyable. We returned to the room and topped our night off with some more wine on the terrace as we watched people walking around just as we had. Amazing. The bed was comfortable with lots of pillow and great linens. The room was warm, but not too hot. We both slept like logs. We awoke with the sunlight and after a nice shower with Gilchrist and Soames amenities, it was off to the Dining Room for our breakfast. My companion ordered the crabcake and egg plate, and I had the Berkeley breakfast, with scrambled eggs, sweet potato biscuit, bacon, juice and coffee. Way too much than I could consume, but again, delicious!! Our coffee cups and glasses were never less than half full, our waiter was so attentive. We were able once again to look out onto Cary Street while we dined and watch the action on the street. Checkout was a breeze and the car was ready to go and warm when we departed. All in all, everything was perfect! I absolutely cannot find anything to complain about with the exception of parking...you will not be disappointed. We usually stay at the Jefferson, but this stay with the king terrace room, dinner, breakfast and valet parking along with a bottle of wine at dinner was on the level of a superior room at the Jefferson. It changed our views and we plan to return one day again, without hesitation!

Room Tip: Ask for the king terrace suite in advance and specify that you want it to be quiet. They will place you on one of the upper floors. We stayed in room 507 and it was magnificent!
2  Thank Carole C
Tamika Q, General Manager at The Berkeley Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 23, 2014

Thank you so much for the wonderful review. I truly believe we have a gem here in the heart of Richmond. It sounds like you really took advantage of all we have to offer here. We look forward to being your special home away from home whenever there is an opportunity for you to visit us.

Reviewed January 18, 2014

My husband and I stayed at The Berkeley recently when we traveled to Richmond to see Jersey Boys. The hotel is so convenient to great restaurants and the Landmark Theater. We found on-street parking in the afternoon and then used the garage a block away for overnight ($4). The room was huge, comfortable, and very nicely furnished. The bathroom is a little dated but still quite large and clean. The desk staff was very friendly. I would recommend The Berkeley to anyone traveling to Richmond who wants to stay in a place with some character, rather than a high-rise that looks like every other high-rise.

Room Tip: We were at the front overlooking Cary St. It wasn't noisy and the morning sun was great.
Reviewed January 9, 2014

We had a very pleasant stay at the Berkeley Hotel. The staff was very friendly and accommodating. Our room was quite large. The wifi was included in the price of the room (a pet peeve). The bed was quite comfortable. I felt this hotel was a very good value.

If you are there on a Sunday, don't miss the Sunday brunch. I had the Eggs Berkeley (Eggs Benedict, but with country ham on a big fluffy biscuit instead of Canadian bacon on an English muffin. It was soooo good.

My one complaint was no conditioner in the bathroom. No, conditioning shampoo does not take the place of conditioner and even if the hotel decides to trim costs by not including conditioner in the bath, it should be made available, if a guest requests it.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 9, 2014

This is overall a great hotel. There was no free breakfast as advertised but don't let that deter you! Excellent service and comfortable beds! Will definitely be staying there again on my next trip to Richmond!!

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com