“Great Space; Great Service”
Review of The Berkeley Hotel

The Berkeley Hotel
Ranked #8 of 82 Hotels in Richmond
Reviewed September 19, 2013

The location of the Berkeley is great. The staff was very friendly and helpful. Our room was a huge corner room with six huge windows. The beds were a bit older, but comfy. I would just recommend not being right on Cary street because the noise from the hotel/bar across the street was pretty loud until 11pm on a Sunday night. The restaurant had great food and really excellent service.

Room Tip: Stay off Cary Street! Our corner room was large, bright and spacious.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Tamika Q, Manager at The Berkeley Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 20, 2013

Thank you for reviewing The Berkeley Hotel. We appreciate your kind words about our restaurant, The Dining Room at The Berkeley. We have an excellent Chef, lots of great options and many Gluten Free choices. I'm glad you loved it. Please come see us again soon.

Reviewed September 14, 2013

The Berkeley is not the largest hotel in Richmond, but it is lovely. It is a small boutique hotel located close to the state capital, financial district, and some historic areas of Richmond.

We we on our way home from a week in the Outer Banks and added an overnight trip to Richmond. We arrived a hour or so before check-in, but it was a lazy Sunday, so the hotel was able to check us in immediately. We really appreciated this, since it had been a long ride. The lady at the front desk was very pleasant, as were all the staff we met. For a one night stay, we had a lot of luggage - the bellman sorted it out and set it up in our room quickly.

The decor is tasteful, and our room was quite large. We had a king sized bed that was one of the most comfortable I've ever slept in. The bathroom was also spacious. This is a small thing, but the hotel supplies both a bath mat for outside the tub and a non-slip mat for inside the tub (safety first!). As I get older, these little things become more important.

Temperature control in the room was good. I've been in some hotels where the cold air duct was positioned so that a chilly wind blew onto the bed, giving me a headache - not good. I didn't notice where the air was coming from at The Berkeley - just that it was pretty comfortable in the room.

Other reviewers noted that the area around the hotel can be noisy. We didn't experience this on the Sunday night that we stayed (9/8). Our room was on the third floor, on the East Cary St side of the building. In our walks around the neighborhood, we noticed there are some nightclubs in the area - probably this was the cause of noise heard by other reviewers.

There is no parking at The Berkeley - you can park on the street in front of the entrance while checking in and out. The hotel then valet parks your car in the area at a cost of $21 per day with unlimited in and out (when walking by the nearby Omni Hotel, we saw that $21 is the daily parking rate in their garage). We were able to walk everywhere during our one day stay. Be advised that Richmond is a hilly town and The Berkeley is about half way up that hill.

We were very pleased with our stay at this lovely hotel.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Tamika Q, General Manager at The Berkeley Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 20, 2013

We appreciate your very detailed review of The Berkeley Hotel and our surrounding area. This will help all of our guests. We look forward to hosting you again at The Berkeley in the near future.

Reviewed September 14, 2013

I stayed at the Berkely on my way to DC and then again on my way home. Both evenings were delightful.
I cannot say enough about the staff, they were curtious, warm and friendly. I have a severe allergy to gluten, but don't have to worry about what I eat when dining there, because the chef advises me. Their menu had numerous alternatives for me, so I felt like I had choices, which doesn't often happen, especially in large chains! The meal was excellent!
I always stay here when I travel to DC.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business

Thank you very much for your review of The Berkeley Hotel. We have a wonderful staff and I am so pleased you felt the same way. Our Chef went out of her way to add many Gluten free items to our menu. She will be pleased to know that it positively effected your stay with us. Please come visit us again soon and eat with us often.

Reviewed September 7, 2013

I really enjoyed my stay here. I came to Richmond for business and this hotel is conveniently located within walking distance of the train station and many restaurants and bars spanning the gamut of price range. The hotel decor is simple and classic but nice. My dining experience was pleasant. I found the menu to be creative but familiar and the staff genuinely friendly. I would definitely consider staying here again.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
Tamika Q, General Manager at The Berkeley Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 8, 2013

Thank you for your kind words. You mentioned the three items about The Berkeley Hotel most often mentioned by our guests...Location, Friendly, helpful staff and an excellent restaurant. I am so glad you also noted these things we are so proud of. Thank you for letting others know. Please come see us again soon.

Reviewed September 6, 2013

I spent 3 nights here and was very happy with my stay. The hotel is a boutique hotel located downtown on the main strip of bars and restaurants. The lobby bar was fun and our rooms were massive. The bathrooms were very spacious. I was surprised that a hotel this old had rooms this nice.

I did not try the room service.

I will use this hotel in the future.

• Stayed: April 2013
Reviewed September 3, 2013

Have stayed here several times and have uniformly had a great room with excellent service. This is a great location if you can afford (or find a deal for) valet parking. Easy access to Shockoe Slip restaurants and nightlife and downtown Richmond history. Extensive amenities are not there, but " boutique" ambience and service are great.

• Stayed: September 2013

Thank you very much for your review of The Berkeley Hotel. I am so glad you enjoyed the Boutique feel of our lovely Inn. While true The Berkeley does not have the extensive amenities of a large convention hotel, as a previous reviewer noted, The Berkeley offers a restaurant, room service, valet parking, free WiFi, free coffee in the lobby, in room coffee, plush bedding and membership for our guests at the full service YMCA just across the street. We are proud of the amenities we can offer our guests along with our great location and ambiance. Thank you again for your kind review.

Reviewed August 29, 2013

The Berkeley is a small boutique hotel in downtown Richmond in Shockoe Bottom. The rooms are plush (comfortable bed), free wi-fi, restaurant, and has health club privileges (free) at the YMCA one block away. I only had breakfast and lunch. Both were very good and reasonably priced. I had the bread pudding for dessert one day and that was very good. Good coffee maker in the room plus more in the lobby. The staff was friendly and attentive both at the desk and in the restaurant. The maid service was good - room was clean early in the day. Not much for views but reasonably priced and a very comfortable stay. With the location near business and entertainment, it's a good choice.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business

Thank you so much for your kind review. You pointed out many of the amenities and services that make The Berkeley such a great place to stay. We look forward to your next visit and will work hard to make every visit with us even better than the last.