“Excellent!”

Ranked #8 of 81 Hotels in Richmond
Falls Church, Virginia, United States
“Excellent!”
Reviewed December 13, 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Berkeley Hotel for our 10th anniversary and we were treated like royalty. The bed linen is so soft and comfortable you don't want to get up and there are pillows galore. The coffee is exquisite, there are big soft bath robes (that you can purchase, if you want). The dining room is quaint and the food, beyond explanation, other than Excellent! Every dish is carefully and delicilously prepared and makes you feel you're in heaven. Your mouth and tastebuds will be most pleased! I highly recommend The Berkely to everyone looking to escape for a weekend or more. Also, my compliments to the manager, Denny, his Chef and Staff who just put the icing on top of the cake!!! This was by far the best hotel experience we have ever had! See you again soon Berkely!!!

1 Thank Lorette B

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (132)
Falls Church VA
Reviewed December 10, 2012

It is to the point not knowing what to select as your meal. The rooms and the atmosphere are so relaxing you do not want checkout time coming about! The Berekley is my choice in RICHMOND to stay always!!

Room Tip: Weekends are great times for those looking for what the area and night life have to offer.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed December 7, 2012

I have stayed in many hotels in Virginia but none of them live up to the quality and superior staff that the Berkeley has. There is no other hotel that has this charm and southern hospitality. Their Front Desk is marvelous I have never met such a courteous staff that goes above and beyond any expectation that I might have. The bellmen know what you need with out even asking. If I could duplicate this hotel, I would. I have never had such a delightful experience in my life. Trust me you will love this place. Enjoy!

Room Tip: Ask for a terrace room
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Charles E
Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed November 19, 2012

My family, fiancée, and I recently contacted the Berkeley Hotel in regards to holding our rehearsal dinner with them. My mother arranged to have us meet with Jason Trice or another sales manager to show us the space and go over the details about the dinner. We traveled downtown from the far west end on Saturday for our 4 o'clock scheduled meeting time. When we showed up, we were informed by the front desk that Jason and no one else were available to meet with us. Confused and frustrated by this, we asked to at least see the space. She said we could just go down there and look around. Getting downstairs, the room we were to look at was locked. So we traveled back up stairs and asked if she could please unlock the room. She responded by saying she was the only employee at the hotel at the time and would not be able to assist us. I asked if a manager was available and she responded again that she was the only one and that she was not a manager but she was in charge.

Subsequently, we saw several other employees’ walking around and not stopping to help us. Finally after us seemingly like we were so much of an inconvenience to her, she ran downstairs and unlocked the room. She made several rude comments to us during this process and no further communication attempts were made to help us and no one offered to talk to us or apologize for being stood up. No alternate arrangements were made and no one seemed willing to at least be friendly and say a mistake was made, but will be rectified. We took a lot of time out of our day to go talk to them and were eager to make an agreement on the rehearsal dinner - they did not seem to reciprocate.

This dinner would have been and easy $10 - $15k for them to make and to have it agreed upon right then. In addition, we have around 250 guests coming from out of town - we were going to recommend The Berkeley and would have filled their hotel for the weekend as well. I certainly did not see any AAA 4 diamond rating qualities in our interactions and will be recommending avoiding The Berkeley from now on. Perhaps this varies from some reviews on this site, but I have never been treated so rudely and felt so unwelcome at a place we are trying to give our business to. The Jefferson, Linden Row Inn, or even the downtown Omni seem like much better options for staying and for events - please consider them for your visit to Richmond.

Chris G.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank Chris G
dennypppp, General Manager at The Berkeley Hotel, responded to this review, November 28, 2012
We are very sorry for our mis-handling of your site tour. Unfortunately, our sales managers miscommunicated who would be covering your appointment. Our front office attendant should have courteously made arrangements for you to see the space and have called me or one of the sales managers on our cell phone(s) immediately. It is our fault (as managers) that we were not there to greet you but we are reachable 24/7 to respond to situations like this and try to make things right. And of course, our staff should be polite and courteous under any circumstances.

We apologize to you and your fiancee. I appreciate the chance we had to talk about this over the phone. Please feel free to call me at 804-225-4158 to discuss this further or if I can be of assistance in any way.
Thank you , Denny Pierce, General Manager
Houston, Texas
Reviewed November 18, 2012

I enjoyed my stay at the Berkeley very much. It is a historic hotel with a helpful staff and a good hotel restaurant. If you arrive after 11 or so, you will have to ring the buzzer to gain admittance, and the bar closes up pretty early as well. It is conveniently located to many good restaurants. My room was on the top floor and featured a balcony and a very comfortable bed. Some of the common areas are a bit worn, but i would not be dissuaded. The price for the standard of accomodation was reasonable.

Room Tip: the top floor rooms have balconies
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
dennypppp, General Manager at The Berkeley Hotel, responded to this review, November 20, 2012
Thank you for staying with us at the Berkeley Hotel. We are pleased to see that you had an enjoyable stay and that our staff treated you well. As we remain the only AAA 4 diamond hotel in downtown Richmond our staff and ownership are committed to high quality product and guest services. We do receive many positive comments about being located in the historic Shockoe Slip district of Richmond.

Our ownership has consistently reinvested in all aspects of the property and take to heart your comment about public areas being a bit worn. We pride ourselves on staying clean and fresh -- and replacement and refreshing of items is planned and included annually in our capital budget. Thank you for your comments and if we can be of any further assistance please feel free to contact us directly at 804-225-5148. Denny Pierce, General Manager
________________________________________
Midlothian, Virginia
Reviewed November 5, 2012

My wife and I recently held our wedding reception at the Berkeley. The from start to finish the entire experience was exceptional. The staff went above and beyond to help us from the beginning to plan and execute our reception nearly flawlessly. We received nothing but great compliments from our guests about the food and the cocktail reception that followed.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Waynesboro, Virginia
Reviewed November 5, 2012

My wife and I used a Groupon to stay at this place. The hotel is simply gorgeous and very well kept. The service is incredible and we loved the pieces of Richmond history that are on display throughout the halls of the hotel. After reading reviews stating that the front rooms were noisy, we asked for a room in the back of the hotel and they accommodated us with no problem. We had a power issue with our room when we arrived but that was quickly fixed. The king room was huge and the bed was one of the best hotel beds we have slept on. The bathroom had wonderful amenities with bath and body works soaps, lotions and hair care products. We also loved the gold finished fixtures in the bathroom. A wonderful place to stay.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the back of the hotel to avoid the noise from bars on the main street.