“Hotel stay only, leave the restaurant alone.”
Review of The Berkeley Hotel

The Berkeley Hotel
Ranked #7 of 81 Hotels in Richmond
Palm Coast, Florida
“Hotel stay only, leave the restaurant alone.”
Reviewed March 18, 2012

The hotel is well located in downtown Richmond, with valet parking and a very friendly check-in and valet staff. The rooms are not as great as the hotel rates would lead you to believe, and with our room (412) there was a constant roar from the road below and the sidewalk crowds till very early in the morning hours. This hotel like many others must think that the more pillows on the bed, the higher the quality, but they just end up on the floor to make room for yourself. And does anybody want floor pillows on your bed? Leave the restaurant alone; dry, tasteless, overcooked food. We had two meals, during our stay, breakfast and dinner, and both were not worth the price, even with the dinner as part of our room package. You would think the wait staff would question whole plates of food, not touched, but they did'nt seem to care or were just used to seeing the bad food and wanted to avoid asking the customer. Lastly, why put bottles of water in your room with stickers saying for your convience, we'll charge your bill $4.00 each. Come on, at your hotel rates, just hand the customer a 89 cent bottle of water at check-in with a smile and say have a great night.

Room Tip: Avoid room 412.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
dennypppp, General Manager at The Berkeley Hotel, responded to this review, March 23, 2012
Please accept my sincere apologies for not meeting your expectations during your recent stay with us.
Thank you for mentioning our excellent location in Richmond in the heart of the Historic Shockoe Slip district. I will also share your kind comments about our friendly staff. We take great pride in their efforts. I feel badly about the noise outside your room. The weekend of your stay was St. Patrick’s day and the streets were unusually busy with celebrations. I was disappointed to read of your feedback on our restaurant food and servers. The Dining Room at the Berkeley recently won an Open Table Diners Choice Award and our restaurant was just mentioned in Style Magazine for one of our special entrees. We normally get rave reviews so while disappointing, we will take your comments very seriously and I will review them with our Chef and Food and Beverage Director. Please contact me directly so that we can further review any outstanding issues at 804-225-5148.
Sincerely. Denny Pierce, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (138)
Buckner, Kentucky
Reviewed March 16, 2012

A large group of my family stayed here because we had a wedding in close by. The hotel is just beautiful and the service is outstanding. Very friendly staff. The rooms were very classic and clean and the beds were comfortable. The sitting area in the lobby is very nice and the food is great. I have no complaints.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
New York City, New York
Reviewed March 9, 2012

We stayed here overnight on the way to Charleston. The hotel is nice, with a smaller more intimate feeling than a big corporate hotel. The decor is quite and tasteful. The location is awesome. It's right across the street from the restaurant, Tobacco Co, which is a great space with good food. On a Thurs night, they had live music (piano) which we enjoyed. In the morning, we went to the Urban Farmhouse for breakfast-- and this place is really special. Beautiful space, beautiful fresh food, great coffee. I will write it a separate review.

Other things to know about the hotel: the wifi is free and the valet parking is $20/night.
The hotel is supposed to be completely non-smoking, but there are balcony rooms on the top floor where people are allowed to smoke (on the balconies). The night we were there, the sixth floor was extremely smoky and we had to switch to the fourth floor. Something to know if you have smoke allergies or asthma-- don't get the sixth floor.

Otherwise, nice hotel. Probably not the best value, but very nice location on a cobblestone street with quick access to restaurants and shops.

Room Tip: Avoid sixth floor if you have smoking allergies as people are allowed to smoke on the balconies and...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
dennypppp, General Manager at The Berkeley Hotel, responded to this review, March 19, 2012
We are thankful that you have forwarded your recent comments and pleased to know that you enjoyed our great location.
We are a 100% non smoking but because we have balconies, attached to many of our upscale
rooms, some of our guests will smoke in the open air environment. We do apologize if any of our guests disturbed your stay with us. Please come back and see us soon. Thank you. Denny Pierce ,General Manager
USA
Reviewed February 29, 2012

We just stayed one night here, but the hotel is a very nice, upscale classic old hotel. Front desk service and the valet were excellent. We did have some trouble with room service, having ordered some food that was never delivered. There is a lovely bar/restaurant downstairs with a good jazz singer. As mentioned, we didn't get to try the food.

Our room was lovely and large, overlooking the nightlife on Shocktoe Slip. Quite a night life too. On this warm February Saturday night, it was about as rowdy as Bourbon Street. If you are a light sleeper, you might request a room facing the back of the hotel. the hotel itself is quiet. There are scores of nightspots and places to eat among the cobblestone streets surrounding this nice old hotel.

Room Tip: Corner rooms near the front are large and have nice views...but can be VERY noisy on a weekend night...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for your kind comments about our hotel. We have recently won two awards. One as a “Readers Choice Restaurant” from Open Table and a second from Virginia Living Magazine as ”Best Boutique Hotel in Richmond”. We do enjoy a great location in the historic district of Shockoe Slip surrounded by a variety of restaurants, shopping and nightlife. Please let us know when you will be returning to Richmond so that we may assist you again. Thank you. Denny Pierce, General Manager
Millsboro, Delaware
Reviewed February 21, 2012

i would really like to give them a better rating..my tale of woe with the hotel..
arrived placed in rm 405 changed clothes for dinner used the bathroom it overflowed onto the floor.
.called the ft desk very quick response..they couldn't fix the problem so replaced in rm 608 a upgrade.
went to dinner in the hotel..at dinner they didn't have the soup or salad we ordered ( wedge lettuce go figure)...didn't offer to sub for it either..placed order for dinner drinks and main course only..1 hour later and two baskets of rolls later dinner comes .. .also we suppose to have basil infused new red whipped potatoes..had whipped potatoes plain...
went back to room...very nice great views etc...tried to shower at 8 am and 10 am next morning...no hot water either time...had a very brisk cold shower...yahoo im ready for breakfast...was told my package only included a $20.00 credit for breakfast for two...(not in any of the account for the package..left a tip for $10 and $14 for the overage and still got waked on my card for the $ 14..breakfast $58... so you see i can't give a better rating

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
dennypppp, General Manager at The Berkeley Hotel, responded to this review, February 23, 2012
Please accept our sincerest apologies for the inconveniences you experienced during your stay. While I am encouraged that our staff quickly upgraded you to our Governors Suite, it is still disappointing to me that you had a less than perfect experience. Further, it is rare when I hear a complaint about the service in our restaurant. I have reviewed your comments with our Executive Chef and I promise, we will strive to do better. Thank you for choosing the Berkeley Hotel and please feel free to contact me directly at 804-225-5148 if I can be of any further assistance. Thank you. Denny Pierce, General Manager
Roanoke, Virginia
Reviewed February 16, 2012

I have stayed at this property many times over the years but have been remiss in not sharing my view. This is an excellent hotel with a great location and restaurant, but what makes this hotel excellentinstead of very good is the lady at the front desk named Starlet. She is the height of dedication to guest service. If when you call the person answering the phone makes you feel good just by the way she answers, you just met Starlet.

Room Tip: Ask Starlet
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
dennypppp, General Manager at The Berkeley Hotel, responded to this review, February 22, 2012
Thank you for your kind words about our staff member Starlet. We are proud of her and the customer service and attention to detail she provides to all our guests. I will insure she is made aware of your comments. Please come back and see us soon.
Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed February 15, 2012

For those who want to know the details of why I say this, here’s my story. On 01/12/2012, I went to the Berkeley Hotel website and started my reservation by clicking on a button that said, "Lovers Romance Package."

Here’s the package description:

2 Days / 1 Nights
Enjoy a special night with that special someone…….Any night in February, enjoy complimentary valet parking at The Berkeley Hotel, delicious champagne and homemade truffles in your guestroom, $80.00 towards dinner for two in our dining room at The Berkeley, and continental breakfast for two the following morning at the Berkeley Hotel.

It sounded good, so I then clicked on the "Book This Package" button (still thinking that's what I was doing), submitted my dates and number of guests and then I picked the "Best Available Rate"; still thinking I was booking "Lovers Romance Package" but getting a better rate for doing it in advance.

Come to find out, that when someone "Book This Package" button, they do not necessarily get the package they think they are getting!

OK. I expressed that I felt disappointed and deceived, but I was not going to let this ruin my evening…and, I didn’t. My wife and I had a nice romantic time in Richmond, BUT…

The following morning, I wake up to an envelope on the floor by the door (the bill…so far so good) and open the bill and they are charging me a higher rate and for parking I did not do. My car was elsewhere.

Long story short, I got the bill made right. But, this was after having to argue for 10 minutes with a clerk who “did not get it” and with a manager in a meeting that was “too important” to work this situation out.

That’s my story. If you heed my advice, you will not stay at the Berkeley Hotel!

Room Tip: Don't stay here!
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Nick E
Please accept my sincerest apologies for the situation you experienced in booking your reservation. I can understand your frustration with this as well as the details concerning your reservation once you arrived. I am glad that the desk was able to make the appropriate corrections for you. I hope you will stay with us again and allow us another chance to show you how we strive to provide great service and attention to detail.
Thank you. Denny Pierce, General Manager.