“Pool is Closed - Avoid room 1919”

Omni Richmond Hotel
Ranked #12 of 81 Hotels in Richmond
New York City, New York
“Pool is Closed - Avoid room 1919”
Reviewed November 16, 2011

I dislike writing negative reviews, but sometimes it has to been done! My recent 1 night stay at this hotel was awful for several reasons:

1- Booked and paid for a club level room on the hotel’s website (not priceline.com or another third party website), only to discover when I got to my room that on Sunday (the day I checked in) there is no evening hors d’oeuvre and no breakfast offered on Monday morning. I think the hotel should post the club level schedule online in the reservation process so people are not blindsided as I was. I don’t know why anyone would book a club level room knowing they will not receive any of these amenities.

2- The pool was closed for renovation, which I was only informed of at check-in when I asked what the hours were for the pool. I certainly would have booked at another hotel if I knew the pool was closed. I do not understand why this information was not disclosed on the hotel’s website when I made the reservation.

3- Room 1919 had a horrible smell of mold. The smell was over powering the entire night. There is no way the cleaning staff could not be aware of the smell as it is so over powering, so I do not understand why the hotel would place any guest in room 1919.

4- The heating in room 1919 was not that great. After several adjustments I finally cranked it up to 85 to get the room warm and then set the thermostat to 70.

5- Towel bar in the shower is broken; half comes of the wall if you lean on it at all.

6- Room service menu in room 1919 is missing the dinner page and several of the other pages are disheveled.

7- Some things about the room seemed untidy/in need of maintenance. Aside for the above issues, the bathroom door was chipping on the bottom and some of the furniture seemed worn.

8- WiFi is free if you join their rewards program, something which would have been useful to know when we called the front desk to ask what the charge was for WiFi.

Some things I liked about the hotel were:

1- The parking valet was courteous and told us about the neighborhood sites and eats.

2- Breakfast Buffet was good.

3- Location of the hotel was good.

4- Starbucks in the lobby is a plus.

5- Bed was comfortable.

6- The morning front desk staff at check out was very responsive when I told her some of my issues with the stay. She seemed sincere and asked us to eat breakfast at the hotel’s buffet for free and comped a beer my husband had from the mini bar.

My husband and I were there to celebrate our wedding anniversary, and unfortunately did not have the relaxing stay we anticipated. If the room had not smelled of mold, the pool had been open, and the club level benefits been offered, I think we would have enjoyed our stay.

I would not recommend this hotel for business or leisure travel in Richmond.

Room Tip: Not room 1919
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank BBCNY
OmniMgr, Manager at Omni Richmond Hotel, responded to this review, November 28, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to share this feedback with us. The confusion with the Club Lounge not being open for the time you booked your reservation was completely on our end and your feedback has lead to this situation being fully rectified. We had posted the indoor pool closure on our hotel web site, but we do understand the frustration that you had when you learned of the closure at check in. The cleanliness issues have been reviewed with the proper hotel leadership staff and procedures have been put in to place to ensure this does not happen again. Please accept our apologies that your recent stay did not exceed your expectations and we thank you for your valuable feedback.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (194)
Alexandria, VA
Reviewed October 31, 2011

We stayed at the Richmond Omni in early October. Our friends has their wedding reception at the hotel. Everything was very nice. The room was clean and comfortable. The staff was nice. Valet parking is cheaper than garage parking so that was nice. The location is excellent. There are so many bars, restaurants, and boutique stores in walking distance.

We had one complaint. The hotel is completing work on their outdoor pool. They started using jackhammers at 7:30am on Sunday morning. It was horrible! We called the desk to complain and evidently we were not the first to call. They did get the crew to stop the work after about 30 minutes. During checkout the desk clerk asked if there was anythjing they could do to make up for the inconvenience, even offering us complimentary breakfast. We had brunch plans but it was a very nice gesture.

We would absolutely stay at the Omni again.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
OmniMgr, Manager at Omni Richmond Hotel, responded to this review, November 4, 2011
Please accept our apologies for the early morning construction noise you experienced. It was a result of poor communications between our hotel and the construction crew and for that we apologize. We are glad that you enjoyed the remainder of your time with us and we appreciate all of your kind remarks. It would be a pleasure for us to welcome you back again soon.
Gainesville, Florida
Reviewed October 14, 2011

I'm staying at the Omni right now for a convention. The hotel is amazing--one of the best I've been to period outside of a few Ritz-Carlton properties.
Check-in was quick and totally painless. Everything was ready for us. The room itself is lovely and the beds are dreamy. The bathrooms are nicely done with large, fluffy linens. If you're a member of Omni Select Guest (free!) then you get morning beverage service delivered to your room complimentary, and it's really excellent coffee.
The convention facilities are very pleasant and convenient, and the hotel's provided continental service with at the convention is very nice, with Starbucks coffee, fresh juice, and good pastries.
The location is great, with many really nice restaurants and shops in easy walking distance. If I had to come back to Richmond for any reason, this would definitely be my choice for hotels.

1 Thank Todd A
OmniMgr, Manager at Omni Richmond Hotel, responded to this review, October 25, 2011
We are delighted that you had such a wonderful experience at The Omni Richmond Hotel. Thank you for taking the time to share the details of your stay on TripAdvisor and we look forward to welcoming you back the next time you are in Richmond.
Greenville
Reviewed October 13, 2011

Really liked this hotel. Good service from Eddie, the bell captain...you don't find old school service like this anymore. Everyone there was nice to us. Love that there are lots of food options within 3 blocks of the hotel in the downtown area. I left the car on Monday and didn't need it until Wednesday, when I left.

The cons were wi-fi not accessible on 2nd floor conference rooms--you had to go to your room or the lobby to access wi-fi. There is work being done on the building to repair it. That being said, in the James River D Salon, it was cold enough to hang meat and the ceiling leaked during the presentations in that room. Plus, the staff were moving heavy furniture or sorting silverware in hallways that border the salons and we could hear all of that while our meeting was going on. Minor stuff, really.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to review your experience at the Omni Richmond Hotel on TripAdvisor. We want to apologize for any inconvenience you experienced from the work being done at our hotel. We are enhancing our pool area and regret that it affected your experience in our meeting rooms. Otherwise, we are glad you had a great stay and we are looking forward to sharing your comments with Eddie.
San Diego, California
Reviewed October 6, 2011

Let me first start by saying that based on a previous reviewer, I booked the Omni blind using the 4 star downtown name-your-own-price listing on Priceline. Awesomely unbelievable rate for this hotel! When I arrived at the hotel the clerk said "the hotel was fully committed for the evening and that they would put my in a parlor on the concierge level with a foldout bed." My response was something like... "Over my dead body. Just because your hotel gives great rates on Priceline does not mean that you can have them sleep on rollaways without consequences!" Needless to say, since it was 7:30pm they found me a standard room.
The room was terrific! Newly renovated with great classic marble-topped furniture, newly modern carpet, fine transitional damask curtains -- with a room overlooking downtown Richmond. Quality amenities in the bathroom with robes in the closet. The Tobacco Shop Restaurant is right across the street and the state Capital Building is walking distance. Plenty of restaurants nearby this active, upscale area of downtown. The hotel was built in the 80's with an elegant modern marble and dark wood feel. Overall great impressive hotel. Would definitely stay there again and recommend it to anyone.
Special note: I feel you should be forewarned that parking is $21 overnight which is standard for downtown -- but please take that into consideration when booking your room.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
OmniMgr, Manager at Omni Richmond Hotel, responded to this review, October 11, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to review your experience at The Omni Richmond Hotel. We apologize for initial room assignment you were given but are glad that things were quickly worked out and you enjoyed the remainder of your stay. It would be our pleasure to have you as our guest again in the future.
New York, NY
Reviewed October 2, 2011

Spent 1 night here while driving from NY to FL. Previously have stayed at The Jefferson, but decided that it wasn't worth the extra $ for a quick stay. Service & check-in were good. The hotel is in decent shape, but quite frankly I would have trouble distinguishing it from any other American chain, slightly upscale, business traveler's hotel that I've stayed in over the years. There's nothing wrong wit that, but this is definitely not for someone looking for special character, etc. One thing was that my room was a unique shape (rounded end) with lots of windows - a nice touch.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
OmniMgr, Manager at Omni Richmond Hotel, responded to this review, October 4, 2011
We appreciate the opportunity to read about your recent stay at The Omni Richmond. If you are able to return we would love to invite you to join our complimentary Select Guest Loyalty Program. We think the service based benefits are a great way for us to stand out against the competition and hope you will return to experience them.
Virginia
Reviewed September 29, 2011

Whenever I have to be in Richmond for a business trip, the Omni is the place for me. The location in the downtown Shockoe Slip area is very convenient for meetings and walking distance to a lot of quaint cafes, restaurants and lively pubs. The room was very comfortable and the amenities were luxurious. Having valet parking is a plus. My only complaint is that the hotel has no fitness room. You have to go to the YMCA.

Room Tip: The corner room on a high floor is a little smaller, but having two sets of windows makes for a grea...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
We are thrilled that you have found The Omni Richmond to be the perfect accommodations when business brings you into Richmond. If you are ever staying with us and would prefer a different type of workout than the YMCA can offer, we do have a Get Fit Kit available that includes free weights and resistance bands, among other items to allow you workout in the privacy of your room. Thank you for reviewing your experience on TripAdvisor and we will look forward to your return.