“A Westin by name but not at top of chain”

The Westin Richmond
Ranked #3 of 82 Hotels in Richmond
Reviewed December 23, 2013 via mobile

Average to mediocre Westin Hotel. As Platinum Lifetime member no special treatment even though hotel was empty with only a handful of guests. Club floor breakfast was average but at least they had hot eggs. For the life of me don't understand why there is such inconsistency between Westin properties. This one near bottom of chain rankings.

• Stayed: December 2013
1  Thank DoctorVonCueBall
WestinRichmond, General Manager at The Westin Richmond, responded to this reviewResponded December 26, 2013

Dear DoctorVonCueBall, thank you for your recent visit and for your comments which only help us to improve. I am very sorry you felt that you were not recognized for your Platinum status. It appears that you did in fact receive a room on or access to the Executive Club Floor which is one of the main awards for your loyalty level. I am very sorry that we were not successful in making you feel more recognized or rewarded. I assure you that is not our goal and I am sorry for the lack of any service or recognition. Frankly, we are actually very successful in regards to our SPG members and rank amongst the highers Westin's in the brand to that regard. Also, we are currently ranked as the #1 Westin in North America for guest service and I am sorry that we did not show that level of service to you on your recent visit. I assure you that this is our goal and we will continue to work hard on ensuring consistency to that regard. I hope you will choose to stay with us again should your travels return you to Richmond. Stay well, Feliks Schwartz - General Manager

Reviewed December 16, 2013

Had a suite, 546. Nice living room with TV, sofa, chair, etc. the "kitchenette" seems like a waste of space. Big pantry and cabinets for all the cooking you can do with a microwave and mini fridge. Odd that's there and the minibar is still in the bedroom. The bed is "heavenly," as always. Nice bathroom with large walk-in shower. I'd stay again. It's a little ways from downtown. But I was visiting a friend at U of Richmond. About 5 min from there. 3PM Sunday checkout is great if you're visiting your kid for the weekend. No rush to leave, and I-95 is adjacent (no worries...great soundproofing, never heard a peep from the interstate).

Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank RalNCTraveler
WestinRichmond, General Manager at The Westin Richmond, responded to this reviewResponded December 23, 2013

Dear RalNCTraveler, thank you for your recent stay with us and for taking the time to write a positive review regarding your suite accommodations. I am pleased to see that you enjoyed your experience overall and that you found a new home away from home when visiting U of R. We are proud to be their partner and look forward to welcoming you back soon. Be well, Feliks Schwartz - General Manager

Reviewed December 14, 2013

True to the Westin ethos, the Westin Richmond is an oasis of calm in the middle of strip malls and highways. Color combinations are cool and earthy, and the lovely smell of Westin's signature scent pervades the hotel. All of the rooms are quite large by typical hotel standards with lots of room to spread out and relax. The Heavenly Bed and Bath are, of course, delightful. Service was pleasant and unobtrusive. Food in the hotel restaurant was delicious, and service was good.

As nice as the hotel is, there are a few concerns. The hotel, now in its 5th year of operation, is starting to show signs of wear and tear. The wallpaper in my room was buckling at the seams. Finishes throughout the hotel have that "not so fresh" feel. And curiously for a hotel built during the Internet/mobile device era, there simply aren't enough electrical outlets in the room, especially surrounding the bed. Management would be well-advised to attend to preventive maintenance and timely upgrades.

That said, The Westin Richmond is one of the two or three best hotels in the city. It is a little pricey for what you get, but the fact that they can command $225+ rates consistently speaks to the quality of the experience.

N.B. Rooms on the highway side incur noticeable traffic noise. It didn't really bother me too much, but light sleepers should request a room on the other side of the hotel.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Scott J
WestinRichmond, General Manager at The Westin Richmond, responded to this reviewResponded December 16, 2013

Dear Pricelinetraveler, thank you for your recent stay and thorough review of your stay and experience. I am grateful for the s-star review and appreciate your comments. We are in fact going into our 6th year of operation as the top rated Westin in North America for product and service and are in the time frame of planning our renovations which will refresh the hotel to it's high standards. I trust we will be seeing you again soon and look forward to serving you. Thank you and happy holidays! Be well, Feliks Schwartz, General Manager

Reviewed December 1, 2013

This is a solid Westin Hotel, in the suburbs of Richmond, VA. It's in between, downtown, and the suburbs in Richmond. Not close to anything, yet close enough to everything, if you drive. Accessible from the Amtrak at Staples Mill road by a short cab ride. There is a Mexican Restaurant and a Denny's close by, and there is a restaurant in the hotel. I was upgraded to a suite, which was spacious, had a pull out couch, and a door you can close between the bedroom, and living room. The bathroom is accessible from the bedroom only. No balcony, or out door space, but there is a small kitchen with microwave and small refrigerator. Water is given free, and the Starwood Club is open most hours with water, sodas and snacks. The workout room is large, with both free weighs, and several machines. There are both treadmills and elliptical trainers. The treadmills are dated, in fact I've never seen this brand before. They need to be upgraded and replaced. The TV"s on the treadmills don't get CBS, NBC, or ABC. There is another TV in the workout room, and music. They have a small pool, and hot tub, both located off of the main lobby. There is plenty of free surface parking, and the service there is good. They have a terrific weekend rates. And, again, they have a full service restaurant on site, and have complementary water in the lobby. It has a terrific location off of I-64 just West of I-95. It is off of Broad Street which is a central road in and out of Richmond. There is a ton of stuff off of Broad Street, close by. Try Buz and Neds BBQ a few blocks west on Broad. Order the baby backs ribs. Very clean, and nice showers. The big shower head, and wand that puts out a lot of very HOT water. The suites has a tub too!

Room Tip: One side of the hotel faces I-64, but I did not find it noisy. If you are concerned, ask for a room...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank DCHOTELGUY01
WestinRichmond, General Manager at The Westin Richmond, responded to this reviewResponded December 12, 2013

Dear DCHotelguy01, thank you for your recent visit and for taking the time to write such a comprehensive review of your stay with us as well as our facility. I am please to have received a 5-stay review from you and thank you very much for all the detail you have provided the TripAdvisor community. Just a note of mention, we have put plans in motion to replace and update all of our fitness center equipment and plan to have a new installation by March of 2014 which is a very exciting upgrade to our facility. I hope that you will be returning on your next trip to Richmond. We look forward to serving you again soon. Be well, Feliks Schwartz - General Manager

Reviewed November 28, 2013 via mobile

Of all the Starwood chains, the Westin is my favorite, and this location is no exception. Check-in was fast and friendly, and when my wife walked in with our dog, our room was quickly changed to the pet-friendly floor without any hassle. She also offered and gave our four-legged friend a treat. The room was clean, the bed comfortable, and the showers include a rain shower head and a regular head. All of the staff we interacted with was friendly and accommodating, especially the two ladies working the restaurant/bar area this Thanksgiving morning!

The downside is that the next time I have to stay at a Sheraton, I'll remember how awesome the Westin is.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Derek H
WestinRichmond, General Manager at The Westin Richmond, responded to this reviewResponded November 30, 2013

Dear Deker H, thank you for sharing the holiday with us and for taking the time to write such generous comments about our hotel and service. I am grateful to see that you had a great experience with us. We look forward to serving you again in the future. Stay well, Feliks Schwartz - General Manager

Reviewed November 24, 2013

From check-in to check out, this was an excellent experience. My room was clean, bed was ultra-comfortable and furnishings were top-notch.

Don't miss the "Crossings" restaurant/lounge on the first floor, opposite the check-in desk. Trevor and Josita both take customer service to a new height. The menu had lots of choices and the food was delicious. (did I mention Trevor and Josita? Can't say enough about how welcome they made me feel).

Wouldn't consider staying anywhere else if business takes me back to Richmond. Put this one at the top of your list.

Room Tip: My room faced the parking lot. No noise issues at all.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
WestinRichmond, General Manager at The Westin Richmond, responded to this reviewResponded November 27, 2013

Dear Cuffemdude, thank you for staying with us and for your time in writing such a nice review of your experience with us. I am pleased to hear that Trevor and Josita made such a positive impact on you. I will be sure to congratulate them accordingly. We look forward to serving you on your next trip to The Westin Richmond. Stay well and happy holidays, Feliks Schwartz - General Manager

Reviewed November 18, 2013

The Westin Richmond is conveniently located off Interstate 64 in a quiet area. Our check in time was longer than anticipated (because of an issue customers before us were trying to settle and tonly one person working at the counter). The staff member checking us in was polite, but not necessarily friendly. Upon check out, however, we encountered extremely friendly and pleasant staff members. I can't remember the staff members' names, but the female staff member that checked us out and I began chatting and realized that she had family members from my hometown. The gentleman at the counter beside her was friendly also. We ate breakfast at Crossings Restaurant; the waitress was courteous and attentive. As for the food, it was decent.

True to the Westin standard, the guest rooms were clean and nicely furnished. The bed was comfortable and the shower was lovely. What was missing: a refrigerator & microwave. There was a locked mini bar, but I expected a refrigerator for storing my personal beverages (I can live without a microwave). At any rate, I would definitely stay at this hotel again if I had business in this area/part of Richmond.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
WestinRichmond, General Manager at The Westin Richmond, responded to this reviewResponded November 19, 2013

Dear MsPearl105, thank you for staying with us and for your positive comments regarding your visit. I am glad that you had a pleasant experience overall. Thank you for pointing our both some positives and some areas that we can continue to work on to create the "wow" factor. On your next trip, please let us know in advance and we will make every effort to provide a complimentary fridge for your room; it would be our pleasure to accommodate this easy request. Until then, thank you for your business. We look forward to serving you again soon. Be well, Feliks Schwartz - General Manager