“Ohhh, no.”

Ranked #23 of 81 Hotels in Richmond
upstate ny
“Ohhh, no.”
Reviewed December 16, 2011

We have stayed a Courtyard Marriot Hotels before and thought they were really fine, but this one was different. The staff at the front desk were dressed in very casual clothes and not very attentive to us. We stood at the counter for a few minutes, politely waiting, until one of the staff finally look up from the computers and asked if we needed anything. The rugs in the hallways and room needed cleaning, as well as the wood around the door knobs and elevator pad. It was visibly dirty. Our room was tidy, but not clean. The counters and table tops had not been wiped down, there were hairs and what looked like tooth paste on the shower walls, and it was very musty. The towels smelled musty too. We let the staff know and they did not seem concerned in front of us. We were given another room, but it was not much better. We always try to look for the positive in places, but here, we just were not pleased. It did make us consider staying in our car for the night, but we didn't.

Room Tip: Please pick another hotel. This is not a place we have stayed before and would not recommend it.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Harrisonburg, VA
Reviewed November 21, 2011

My daughter and I stayed here while in town to attend a comedy show. We arrived late on a Friday afternoon and I had actually used rewards points to cover the cost of this stay. I have Elite member status but no special recognition was given to me at arrival and there was no overview of amenities and services offered at the hotel. We were very surprised when we noticed a sign on the way to our room that said breakfast was $9.99/guest. I couldn't believe it since there is a Denny's restaurant practically next door to this hotel. Our room was large and clean and considering how chilly the day was, we were pleasantly surprised to come into a room that was not freezing but actually had a comfortable temperature setting. We were here only briefly after check-in and headed on out to get to the show. We got back late and crashed or attempted to until our noisy neighbors arrived and decided to hold a loud conversation in the hallway before finally retiring to their rooms. We were too tired to even call the front desk and just waited them out. The next morning, we had no plans so we thought we would sleep in a little (check-out is at noon). We had just started to stir when at 9:30 a.m. housekeeping knocked on the door. I answered in my pj's and let them know that it would be a little while before we were ready to check-out but of course, this made us feel rushed and we hurried to get dressed after that. I stepped into the bathroom first and noticed water on the floor. There was a leak in the valve behind the commode--there was a visible crack in the hardware but water was dripping out so slowly that it must have taken all night to make the puddle on the floor but at that point, we didn't even call about this issue. We just got dressed and told them at the desk when we checked out. Can't believe we were the first to notice this.

The accomodations were nice, the rooms were large and I have no complaints about the condition of the hotel. Staff was not rude but not overly friendly either and their indifference also makes me indifferent about whether I will return to this hotel or not.

We were excited to find the Krispy Kreme shop not far away and we stopped at Burlington Coat Factory across the street before heading home. The hotel was close to Carytown which is where the show we attended was held so there were a few pluses to staying here.

Room Tip: We were on the first floor and that may be why our late arriving neighbors were so loud. We also ha...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
Alexandria, Virginia
Reviewed November 12, 2011

I stayed here one night while in town for a wedding nearby. The room was clean and the bed was comfortable, as per usual at Marriott properties. I have no complaints, but will say the bathrooms are a bit out dated.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
Illinois
Reviewed October 24, 2011

I stayed at this hotel for business on a Thursday night, got switched from my first room because the door lock malfunctioned (door wouldn't close). I was told this is a common occurrence. Went to a second room and there was a party next door. Front desk clerk (Allison) came to my room, switched me to another one and when asked about the party was told "there is nothing I can do".

I complained on Facebook, was promptly responded to by their moderator, and asked to contact customer service. I contacted customer service and got a canned response asking me to re-provide details of my experience. I provided the link and got the same canned response again.

Room Tip: Go to a different hotel
Victoria, Minnesota
Reviewed October 14, 2011

Very average, but no surprises. Would stay again
Counter person on the evening of oct13 was efficient but gruff. I had to wait at the counter for help while she argued with a customer about how to get to the hotel. Called me "honey", which was odd.

Trash can in my room had trash in it when I arrived.

Bristow, Virginia
Reviewed October 11, 2011

Had to make a quick trip to Richmond to the Office of Vital Statistics. This hotel location was perfect being only 2 miles away from Vital Statistics Office. Located on W. Broad St. so there are numerous restaurants within a few miles from fast food all the way up to upscale restaurants. We ended up going to the Short Pump Shopping area (about 7 miles away) where there is fantastic shopping and many restaurants.

The hotel is very clean both in the rooms and lobby. The front desk staff was friendly and check in and check out was a breeze. The furnishings are nice. We also had complementary breakfast buffet in the morning which had many choices from eggs, to waffles and cereal. Also coffee and a business center is located in the lobby and an area with cards about several restaurants.

Our only complaint was the air conditioner rattled and was very loud. Our room was on the second floor and had a sliding glass door and screen so we thought "great let's open the door and turn off the a/c since it was cool outside". Couldn't get the door open. There is a door lock on the base on the door and it was jammed. Calls to the front desk at 2:30 a.m. went unanswered (let it ring 40 times). Did see the General Manager and front desk manager upon checkout who noted our concerns and apologized. But that was all.

Dallas
Reviewed September 1, 2011

This is a dated property with updated rooms. I would recommend the Westin or Hampton Inn which are within 1/2 a mile.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Richmond
Candlewood Suites Richmond - West Broad
Residence Inn Richmond West End
Holiday Inn Richmond I 64 West End
Hampton Inn & Suites Richmond/Glenside
Embassy Suites by Hilton Richmond
The Westin Richmond
The Westin Richmond
#3 of 81 in Richmond

Been to Courtyard Richmond West? Share your experiences!