“Just what we needed!”
Review of Quality Inn North

Quality Inn North
Ranked #71 of 82 Hotels in Richmond
Reviewed July 21, 2013

Down from Maine to visit our Son who is a Tech at Richmond Harley-Davidson. We had flown into RCI then drove to Staunton for one night, Williamsburg for a night then back up to Richmond. We had limited time in Va. and it seemed we were in the car more than anywhere else. We needed an outside pool and sun. we stopped here to see about a room and the girls at the desk were GREAT. Met manager David French who was an awesome, friendly greeter. We got the sun and poolside relaxing we were in need of to recharge our souls. We will no doubt stay here again if we are in the area. Thank you Mr. French and crew.

Room Tip: We wanted to be near the Pool and they made it happen. Stepped out the door and there it was.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank William L

Reviewed June 30, 2013

I found a lot of hairs in the sink. Also the bathroom was weird, was a handicap bathroom with chair no tub :( not sure how this hotel is a 3 star. Very nice beds and sheets, if you want just sleep is good. The TVs are very olds ones need improvements.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank yesmin147
eric p, Manager at Quality Inn North, responded to this reviewResponded July 3, 2013

We thank you for your comments; however, I do apologize about the hair in the sink .... not acceptable. Our handicap accessible rooms are designed to make it easier for the handicapped, especially those in wheelchairs. I am glad to hear that you did have a comfortable nights rest. We are making some improvements and updates, so hopefully the flat panel TV will be next. Thank you for staying with us ... Change Is Coming!!!

Reviewed May 28, 2013

I Needed a CHEAP and CLEAN hotel in Richmond. We found it at the Clarion Inn North! Lobby was clean. Room was clean. Sheets were clean. Bathroom was spotless! Water pressure in shower was good and water was hot! I've spent 3x on crappier rooms. Granted, this is not Miami Beach, but if you need a nice client CHEAP HOTEL in Richmond, THIS IS IT!

Note: we stayed in late May. It was not cold or hot. We did not even turn on the AC so that might be loud but they usually are. And, as we walked in, some lady was on the floor in the hallway on her iPAD outside her room complaining that she could not get decent Wi/Fi inside her room. I was not there to surf the web. Just to get a good night sleep...and I did.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank DaveHRoe
eric p, Manager at Quality Inn North, responded to this reviewResponded May 30, 2013

We thank you for choosing us to stay because there were many other options. I have expressed to my staff from the front desk to our housekeepers that we must display our thanks through our work, so thank you for noticing our appreciation. We have had recent problems with WiFi, which we are correcting this week. Our WiFi will be more secure and much faster, so I apologize that you caught us at that time. CHANGE IS COMING!!!

Reviewed May 26, 2013

An Expedia hidden special is how we booked this. Happy to have found a 3 star at a decent price but was disappointed that the hotel was maybe a 2 1/2 star at best. They appear to be in the middle of major renovations so I'll assume it will be a 3 star in the future. We had booked a room for 4 and when we arrived we were given a room with 1 king bed. Though it wasn't the hotels problem they offered us an additional king bedroom or they could send us to the Econo Lodge or give us a double bed room with no hot water. We took the additional king bedroom. It had no toilet paper, microwave or telephone service. I told the front desk and she said the weather is messing everything up?? The beds were nice and the rooms were spacious. Plenty of pillows with our choice of down or down alternative. The flooring and furnishings are dated but you can see upgrades taking place throughout. Breakfast was bad. Ants in the pitcher of milk, flakes in the apple juice, Walmart brand light syrup was available after we made our waffles that came out as part oil and part mix. There wasn't much to choose from. The area was nice and a diner is right next door. No elevators that we could find. There are nice vending and ice machines. Pretty clean hotel for the most part. I would stay again. Almost 15 minutes exactly from Kings Dominion, we thought it was 30 so that made us happy.

Room Tip: Ask for extra towels, they don't leave enough. Check the fridge settings if you put anything in...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
eric p, Manager at Quality Inn North, responded to this reviewResponded May 28, 2013

I thank you for staying with us, and I do apologize for the mishaps that occurred during your stay. We are making some changes, which unfortunately inconvenienced some guests this weekend. I appreciate you noticing the positives because we are working to make this a premier location for Richmond travelers. The ants are a definite NO NO. Since I read your comments, we have thoroughly cleaned the cabinets and breakfast area, as well as called pest control. The breakfast is a work in progress and it has come along way. It is only a continental breakfast, but we increased the variety and now we are working on presentation. We hope to see you again because CHANGE IS COMING!!! Thank you again.

Reviewed May 7, 2013

My husband and I stayed at this hotel for a temporary work project. We were very worried about the reviews so we only booked one night, then another, then another until we had stayed the whole week. This is an expedia special rate hotel and you don't get the name until you book, but it was the cheapest hotel on Expedia that week. We ended up paying less than $50 a night including tax- which for Richmond is a GREAT rate. Expedia has this listed as a 3 star property. It isn't, anymore. At one time this was a really nice property and it could be again with some updates. Right now, it is a solid 2 stars.
Pros:
1. The service at the front desk especially from the manager, Mr. Eric Powell, was awesome. They gave us late checkout on Friday until 2pm. Everytime I needed something, anyone at the front desk was extremely helpful. They asked several times if they could do anything to make our stay better.
2. The rooms were large. We had a king bed, but our room could have easily fit 2 king beds. There was a lot of empty room space. Also the ceilings are vaulted which makes the rooms seem even larger. It also had a sink in the room and another one in the bathroom which made getting ready in the mornings very quick. It also had a balcony that you could easily sit and have a meal if there was furniture on it.
3. The hotel shares a parking lot with several restaurants, a gas station, a Starbucks, Walmart and Lowes. It also connects to a River City Diner location that gives you a 10% discount for hotel guests.
4. The hotel is 300 yards from the Interstate 95 on-ramp- super quick to get on and off the interstate and you didn't hear any traffic noise.
5. The hotel had a nice sized pool but it was covered for the winter.
6. Hotel had nice water pressure and plenty of hot water.

Cons:
1. The hallways smell badly- really badly. It makes you nervous that your room will smell that way too. Our room smelled 100% better than the hallway. Obviously this property used to allow smoking and the carpet has absorbed the smell. To cover it up, there are really strong air fresheners pulled in everywhere. The final results is flowery cigarette musk. Gross.
2. The rooms haven't been updated since the 70s or 80s. The carpet in our room was red and stained. The king bed was comfortable but very very low to the ground. It was less than 2 feet from the floor. This might be very difficult for older people to get in and out of. The room has an old school CRT TV and a fridge that is smaller than I have ever seen a hotel fridge to be. There aren't enough plugs so you have switch what is plugged in between the TV, the fridge, and the microwave.
3. The bathroom looked more updated but the shower didn't drain very well.
4. Housekeeping figured out that we were staying for a few days and basically skipped our room for several days. They knocked, asked us if we wanted new towels and that was it. No vacuuming, no trash can emptying, nothing. By the time we checked out on Friday, all the trash cans in the room were overflowing. I get not wanting to disturb us, but one of the nice things about staying in a hotel is having someone else tidy it up every once in a while- making the bed, putting up new towels and emptying the trash cans.

The new manager is trying very hard with what he has. But this hotel needs a facelift to return it to the 2.5-3 star market in Richmond. They have the great location and the good bones, with a little monetary investment this property could be really nice once again. New carpet, new paint, and normal height bedding would work a miracle.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank asidoti
eric p, Manager at Quality Inn North, responded to this reviewResponded May 21, 2013

I appreciate you noticing the pros and cons of your stay. We are going to continue to improve the pros that you listed, and the cons we are definitely working on raising the standard of our service. I come from other 4-star properties and I'm in the process of revamping my staff's attitude and service quality. I want to bring a 5-star attitude to a 2-star property, so once you visit with us you will not notice the difference between a true 4-star and staying here at the Clarion Inn. CHANGE IS COMING!

Reviewed April 20, 2013

We were first placed on the ground floor and walked in to find two dead grasshoppers on the ground so we asked to be moved. Unforunately, the avaialble non smoking rooms above ground level hadn't been cleaned and we ended up in a smoking room. The room smelled awful, of course, but since it was a smoking room
I understand. What I do not understand is how a room that had been cleaned that very day had bottles, a lighter and other garbage under the bed. I was absolutley disgusted and I wish we could have left to find a better place to stay, but we were very tired and so we stayed. I was on edge the whole night and barely slept. We paid $70 for a room that should have cost $10.00.
I will never visit again!

• Stayed: April 2013

I apologize for cleanliness. When I go to a hotel, I want it cleaned better than my own home, so I understand your disgust. I have since then trained a person to complete room inspections to MY standards, which I believe our guests will appreciate. I have also reinforced to our housekeepers the importance of FIRST IMPRESSIONS and the value of their jobs. First impressions can be a last impressions. Once again, my apologies and CHANGE IS COMING!

Reviewed March 25, 2013

Stopover for the night (2) rooms via Priceline for $51 bucks a night. Rooms were actually quite big and clean. Old decor and amenities but the staff made up for the average furnishings. Small issues with shower draining but all minor for a single night to crash. Convenient to food and stores and less than 1/4 mile from I-95 ramps.....Only bad thing was the crummy "free" breakfast which really needs to be updated when compared to other placed in the same price range.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for your review. Unfortunately, our decor is dated, but I do express to my staff that we must compensate with our service. I demand nothing less from our staff than to go over and beyond to please our guests. We have made some small leaps with breakfast. When I first started, we only had wheat toast, small muffins, cereal, juice and coffee. We now have bagels, muffins, white & wheat bread, fresh fruit, oatmeal, cereal, various flavored tea, waffles, and coffee. It is a work in progress ... CHANGE IS COMING!