“There must be better places in Richmond for the money”

Clarion Hotel Richmond Central
Ranked #67 of 81 Hotels in Richmond
La Plata, Maryland
“There must be better places in Richmond for the money”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 20, 2012

Elevator and hallways had an unpleasant smell -- chemical disinfectant I think. Room was ok except I made the mistake of leaving a package of sugar free cookies, which I had opened, on the desk for several hours and when I got back they were covered with hundreds of ants! Restaurant drinks were way high prices and free continental breakfast was very skimpy. Definitely not for anyone physically challenged because getting from the lobby to the building that housed our room entailed lots of walking (with steps). There are no rooms in the lobby building. Parking was also a long way from our building. There must be better places in Richmond for about the same price.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Imagecatcher

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
Winston Salem, North Carolina
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 8, 2012

The Clarion was adequate, clean, and a good location. I expected a little nicer for what I was paying, however. Was worried about traffic noise with my room only 50 yards from the interstate highway, but had no problem. The free continental breakfast was nothing to write home about. I have stayed at many similar and a few nicer hotels for less. Might consider staying at the Scottish Inn when I go back.

Room Tip: Light sleepers need to verify their rooms are not next to I-95.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Nighthawkjw
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 27, 2012

The staff were very attentive our needs. Walk out parking was a big plus. Microwave and refrigerator were a add-on at a very low price. Centrally located to the downtown area. My wife and I really enjoyed ourselves. Highly recommend this hotel. My thanks to the staff for an uneventful stay at the Clarion!!! Signed GES. 022712

• Stayed February 2012
4 Thank simetoge
Clarion H, Manager at Clarion Hotel Richmond Central, responded to this review, June 6, 2012
Thank you for your review. We are very happy to know that your stay was great. The Hotel is right off I95 and close to all major attractions in Richmond. We also offer free shuttle to airport, train station and bus station. Thank you again for your review and we look forward to having you again.
Seattle
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2012

We were a little wary of staying here, based on some of the other reviews, but WE LOVED staying here. The room was large, brightly lit, and über-clean, with not even a trace or aura of any kind of smell. All the bedding, floors, the bathroom were extremely clean. Everything worked, and worked well. There was plenty of hot water. It's true that we had to leave the lobby and then go to another building to get into our room, so if you're a woman traveling by yourself, you might ask to stay in the main building. But, other than that, this was a great place to stay--I recommend it highly!

• Stayed December 2011
6 Thank Seattlemine
Rasik K, General Manager at Clarion Hotel Richmond Central, responded to this review, January 17, 2012
Thank you for staying with Clarion Hotel Central, We appreciate your positive feedback including cleanliness of Rooms, Corridors, lobby and hot water etc...We love to have you at our hotel for future visit to Richmond. We are centrally located hotel to major universities, sports stadium and downtown.
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 31, 2011

I have been dealing with this hotel since it was a Holiday Inn for both business and pleasure but this was my worse. I booked an annual event at this hotel last December for the upcoming December and after having a signed contract things were changed. I know the staff I worked with last year put more effort and concern into fulfilling our needs. The property is a nice facility but new management needs to learn from the old. An honest establishment will last longer than an unhonest one

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank nomoreclarion

Travelers are raving about these Richmond hotels

Norfolk
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 12, 2011

I knew this property, as i had stayed there in the past when it was Holiday Inn. This trip, I found it to be clean and comfortable. I agree with some of the other reviewers that the hotel, from the outside, looks a little creepy and forboding, but inside it is very nice. An investment in exterior lighting may improve this.

Check in seemed to be very slow- I was the only guest in the lobby, but the desk agent was just SLOW... he was very polite, though. He drew directions on a hotel map to my room, and I found it with no trouble. The property WAS a bit dark- they could improve the parking lot lighting and increase comfort levels with this issue. At no point did I feel unsafe, though- I did not sense any lurkers. the property was pretty quiet, for the most part.

The room was very clean, and appeared to have been remodeled since I had stayed there before (with HI). The bed linens were in great shape, and the bedspread looked very clean as well. The furniture uphostery was also clean. The only negative I found in this area was not until I was getting ready to leave- I glanced over at the bedskirt while putting on my shoes, and saw stains that I did not want to think about what they might have been... Everythng else was nice and clean.

The bed was comfortable, as was the arm chair. The TV was very nice, and they have a great range of channels, but the remote did not work. The refrigerator kept my drinks frosty cold. There was no plastic bag in the ice bucket- the one that lets you pretend that your ice bucket is sanitary... there was also no laundry bag. Nothing to tuck my dirty clothes into.

There was a sign advertising pizza from the room service resturant. They direct you to the room service menu for additional items, but there was no room service menu in the room. There was no Guest Services book like I am used to seeing, that gives pertinant information about the hotel and the area- nothing. I ordered a pizza, and it had to have been the worst I have had in quite some time. Yuk.

The room heat/AC unit was pretty loud, but it warmed the room nicely.

In the morning, there was great water pressure, plenty of nice hot water.

Internet service was adequate.

Room Tip: Some rooms open onto the pool, so if it is summer and you don't want the noise, you may want to...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
2 Thank STVUstudent
Dear STVUstudent, Thank you for selecting Clarion Hotel Central for your recent stay with us. We appreciate your kind feedback and suggestion for improvement about the hotel. We shared your feedback with all head departments to make sure we take care of our customer needs and provide best customer service for any guest who are staying with us. We look forward to your return again in Richmond sometime soon. This hotel is centrally located to Richmond area, just walk-in distance like The Diamond, Greyhound station. Just within a 1 mile away from VUU and less than 3 miles away from VCU.
Burlington, Vermont
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2011

I have to be fair and first say that the room was clean and adequate. However, the check in desk was in a building separate from the building the room was in. It was after dark and scary finding our way to our room. I thought we were going to get mugged because we had to go outside again and over to another building. It was COMPLETELY empty and deserted. It was like a maze getting to our room and my daughter and I felt very vulnerable and unsafe. In the morning the showers were not hot, just barely luke warm. If you choose to stay here, get there in the daylight and have a male companion with you.

Room Tip: ask if there is hot water available in the showers, stay with a male companion, and check in before...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with family