“Sad!”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Virginia
“Sad!”
Reviewed December 11, 2013

We booked this hotel due to Its location near St Mary's Hospital. Sadly this Holiday Inn doesnt live up to the new Holiday Inn standards. You can upgrade bedding, add new sinks, change the lighting etc... but poor management kills it all. At $45 per night via Price Line it seemed like a deal... NOT!
For starters, the evening desk clerk had the personality of a slug. A simple SMILE goes a long way in the hospitality business. It needs to be a requirement of the job.
Second, the room was dirty. The bedding on one of the beds was smelly. Several pillows smelled sour. There were crumbs on the carpet near the bed (we didn't have food in the room). Lots of dust bunnies along the walls edge.
Third, the cleaning lady in the hall should be taught to say Good Morning as opposed to glaring at the clientele.

On the up side the gentleman who checked us out smiled and was very polite. He was by far the best part of our stay and a bright spot in a poorly managed business.
Over all, I would bypass this hotel and stay further from the Hospital.

Room Tip: Stay else ware
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Jupiter, Florida
Reviewed November 25, 2013

This is a very old hotel. The room was clean but the air/heat unit would turn on by itself even if you have it turned off. Very distracting through the night. The room also did not have a radio. I know a lot of people don't listen to one but I do and I missed it! It's the first room that I EVER stayed in that didn't have a radio. Nothing close to walk to. Restaurant didn't look that great and didn't eat there. Also bar was closed during hours that said it would be open! Staff was nice. Computer station in the lobby didn't work some of the time. (Computer was frozen up) If you walk in the back entrance it smells pretty bad. This place needs a complete rehab or just close it.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Richmond I 64 West End, responded to this review, December 10, 2013
Dear dsalmasian,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your stay. It is unfortunate the accommodations you received prevented you from fully enjoying your time at the hotel. We take all of the reviews we receive very seriously as they allow us to identify areas that may benefit from additional attention. We have shared your comments with the staff and we’re confident the necessary adjustments will be made, in order to achieve complete guest satisfaction.

Adrian D
Case Manager
IHGCare

Travelers are raving about these Richmond hotels

Rochester, ny
Reviewed November 23, 2013

They gave the new sign and lobby but that's about it. Place was a major dump in a scary location. Room was old, dated and trashed. No cover on heating unit. Just really not up to the current holiday inn standards. I'd find so egging close but sure not here again!

Room Tip: Pick another hitel
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Cbrooks294
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Richmond I 64 West End, responded to this review, December 9, 2013
Dear Cbrooks294,

Ferdinand G
Case Manager
IHGCare
Glass House Mountains, Australia
Reviewed November 22, 2013

Was totally unimpressed with this hotel. I was so glad that we only had one night there and will not be going back again. We had a king sized room. A small list of the issues were:
* No luggage rack in the room so both suitcases ended up either on the floor or the couch (which meant that we then sat on the bed.
* The airconditioning was chronic. It had only two fan speeds - low and high (auto was not working) so it meant that the fan was blowing all the time. On low speed it sounded like a chaff cutter, on high speed it was like a supersonic jet. I had to turn it off halfway through the night so I could get some sleep.
* The chair at the desk was ripped and torn. I only sat on it with a towel on the seat because in places it was through to the foam.
* The bathroom was the size of a mouse hole. Okay, I don't care if a bathroom is small as long as it has the essentials. In this case the basin took up the entire vanity area (they even had a wall rack with the soap, shampoo etc because it wouldn't fit on the vanity. There was no space to put anything down. To reach the toilet paper when sitting on the loo you needed to bend forwards and around a corner to the front of the vanity. And the non skid mat in the bottom of the bath was not stuck down properly, so guess what - it slipped!! The one light in th bathroom was small and yellow so it was totally useless for putting on makeup.
* Everything in the room looked tired and run down. Wall paper was peeling off the walls and there was mould marks under the window.
* Dinner time - hmmm - my first choice became a no go when they told me they didn't have the ingredients to make it. I admit my second choice was nice and well cooked. Dessert - there are five choices on the menu. When we indicated that we would like dessert the waitress (who also doubles as the bartender because there are so few people to serve) disappeared, we assumed to get the menus again. No - she came back and told us that there was cheesecake available for dessert. One choice out of five?? Guess what - we didn't have dessert.
* Breakfast this morning - we had to go and ask for our vouchers because we had paid for a room and breakfast package. When we got downstairs for brekky the lady on duty asked us for our voucher. When we said we didn't have one she told us we would have to pay. We told her we had paid in our room package. We then had to go to the reception desk to get our vouchers. In my opinion the staff member should have a list of those who have already paid and not put the onus back on us to prove that we had paid (in fact we prepaid our hotel six months ago).
So as you can see it hasn't been the happiest of stays. I am a priority club member and stay in Holiday Inn's all the time. In fact I'm sitting in another one while I am typing this review. We are on a 4 week holiday and staying at Holiday Inn properties exclusively. This one is brilliant (Lynchburg - separate review tomorrow). My advice - find another motel in Richmond, VA (Holiday Inn or not). Just don't stay at the one on I64 West End.

Room Tip: Lots of traffic noise both at the front and back of the hotel. Just don't go there
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
holinn, Public Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Richmond I 64 West End, responded to this review, November 25, 2013
Dear Guest PossumMum,

I want to first apologize for these issues you encounteres here with us and assure that this is not a standard of service that management agrees with. I would love to have some direct communication with you to further discuss your stay

M. Hymes
Assistant General Manager
mhymes@holidayinni64.com
Houston, Texas
Reviewed October 29, 2013

I had a room on the eighth floor, so I got a very nice view. The room was big and clean and perfect for what I needed.

The guy who checked me in was very nice, and even greeted me by name when he saw me walk by the next day.

Breakfast looked good, but was much too expensive for me to try it!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
holinn, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Richmond I 64 West End, responded to this review, October 30, 2013
Dear Guest txag08,

Thank you for allowing us to be of service to and we thank you for giving us the valuable feedback.
Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed October 18, 2013

We have been meeting at the Holiday Inn every month for a few years now. Their staff is OUTSTANDING. They could not be more accommodating. Max goes above and beyond any coordinator I've ever dealt with. They make every event easy and delicious. Can't thank them enough for all of their hard work.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Chesapeake, Virginia
Reviewed October 14, 2013

Hubby and I stayed the weekend here to go to the Virginia folk festival. Location was perfect--right across from the free shuttle lot. The room was large and quiet with a comfortable bed. It obviously was not new, but was reasonably clean. But don't expect any extras. Breakfast is not free, it is very expensive! And you might better bring your own sugar and creamer for the measly little cup of coffee you can make in the room.
Perhaps the scariest part is that the check in clerk announced to everyone that "the back door is never locked. You (and anybody else in the world) can get in any time." I would not have felt safe if I were traveling alone. We did note that they were scrupleous in changing the room key with every guest change.
Would I stay here again? Yes. A clean, comfortable bed in the right location at the right price works for me.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
holinn, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Richmond I 64 West End, responded to this review, October 17, 2013
Dear Guest JeannieRN,

We thank you for staying with us and for providing us with great feedback. We can't wait to be of service to you again. I would love to communicate with you more on your stay.

Marvin Hymes