“What a dump”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Rochester, ny
“What a dump”
Reviewed November 23, 2013

They gave the new sign and lobby but that's about it. Place was a major dump in a scary location. Room was old, dated and trashed. No cover on heating unit. Just really not up to the current holiday inn standards. I'd find so egging close but sure not here again!

Room Tip: Pick another hitel
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Cbrooks294
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Richmond I 64 West End, responded to this review, December 9, 2013
Dear Cbrooks294,

Ferdinand G
Case Manager
IHGCare

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Glass House Mountains, Australia
Reviewed November 22, 2013

Was totally unimpressed with this hotel. I was so glad that we only had one night there and will not be going back again. We had a king sized room. A small list of the issues were:
* No luggage rack in the room so both suitcases ended up either on the floor or the couch (which meant that we then sat on the bed.
* The airconditioning was chronic. It had only two fan speeds - low and high (auto was not working) so it meant that the fan was blowing all the time. On low speed it sounded like a chaff cutter, on high speed it was like a supersonic jet. I had to turn it off halfway through the night so I could get some sleep.
* The chair at the desk was ripped and torn. I only sat on it with a towel on the seat because in places it was through to the foam.
* The bathroom was the size of a mouse hole. Okay, I don't care if a bathroom is small as long as it has the essentials. In this case the basin took up the entire vanity area (they even had a wall rack with the soap, shampoo etc because it wouldn't fit on the vanity. There was no space to put anything down. To reach the toilet paper when sitting on the loo you needed to bend forwards and around a corner to the front of the vanity. And the non skid mat in the bottom of the bath was not stuck down properly, so guess what - it slipped!! The one light in th bathroom was small and yellow so it was totally useless for putting on makeup.
* Everything in the room looked tired and run down. Wall paper was peeling off the walls and there was mould marks under the window.
* Dinner time - hmmm - my first choice became a no go when they told me they didn't have the ingredients to make it. I admit my second choice was nice and well cooked. Dessert - there are five choices on the menu. When we indicated that we would like dessert the waitress (who also doubles as the bartender because there are so few people to serve) disappeared, we assumed to get the menus again. No - she came back and told us that there was cheesecake available for dessert. One choice out of five?? Guess what - we didn't have dessert.
* Breakfast this morning - we had to go and ask for our vouchers because we had paid for a room and breakfast package. When we got downstairs for brekky the lady on duty asked us for our voucher. When we said we didn't have one she told us we would have to pay. We told her we had paid in our room package. We then had to go to the reception desk to get our vouchers. In my opinion the staff member should have a list of those who have already paid and not put the onus back on us to prove that we had paid (in fact we prepaid our hotel six months ago).
So as you can see it hasn't been the happiest of stays. I am a priority club member and stay in Holiday Inn's all the time. In fact I'm sitting in another one while I am typing this review. We are on a 4 week holiday and staying at Holiday Inn properties exclusively. This one is brilliant (Lynchburg - separate review tomorrow). My advice - find another motel in Richmond, VA (Holiday Inn or not). Just don't stay at the one on I64 West End.

Room Tip: Lots of traffic noise both at the front and back of the hotel. Just don't go there
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
holinn, Public Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Richmond I 64 West End, responded to this review, November 25, 2013
Dear Guest PossumMum,

I want to first apologize for these issues you encounteres here with us and assure that this is not a standard of service that management agrees with. I would love to have some direct communication with you to further discuss your stay

M. Hymes
mhymes@holidayinni64.com

Travelers are raving about these Richmond hotels

Houston, Texas
Reviewed October 29, 2013

I had a room on the eighth floor, so I got a very nice view. The room was big and clean and perfect for what I needed.

The guy who checked me in was very nice, and even greeted me by name when he saw me walk by the next day.

Breakfast looked good, but was much too expensive for me to try it!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
holinn, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Richmond I 64 West End, responded to this review, October 30, 2013
Dear Guest txag08,

Thank you for allowing us to be of service to and we thank you for giving us the valuable feedback.
Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed October 18, 2013

We have been meeting at the Holiday Inn every month for a few years now. Their staff is OUTSTANDING. They could not be more accommodating. Max goes above and beyond any coordinator I've ever dealt with. They make every event easy and delicious. Can't thank them enough for all of their hard work.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Chesapeake, Virginia
Reviewed October 14, 2013

Hubby and I stayed the weekend here to go to the Virginia folk festival. Location was perfect--right across from the free shuttle lot. The room was large and quiet with a comfortable bed. It obviously was not new, but was reasonably clean. But don't expect any extras. Breakfast is not free, it is very expensive! And you might better bring your own sugar and creamer for the measly little cup of coffee you can make in the room.
Perhaps the scariest part is that the check in clerk announced to everyone that "the back door is never locked. You (and anybody else in the world) can get in any time." I would not have felt safe if I were traveling alone. We did note that they were scrupleous in changing the room key with every guest change.
Would I stay here again? Yes. A clean, comfortable bed in the right location at the right price works for me.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
holinn, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Richmond I 64 West End, responded to this review, October 17, 2013
Dear Guest JeannieRN,

We thank you for staying with us and for providing us with great feedback. We can't wait to be of service to you again. I would love to communicate with you more on your stay.

Marvin Hymes
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed October 14, 2013

Stayed here one night on way to Philly. Booked hotel thru priceline and it was fine for one night. Front desk kindly changed us to two beds when realized that my sister and I were staying in the room. The walls were kinda thin, could here kids yelling in hallway. There was also a lack of plugs. We plugged clock on nightstand in order to charge cell phones. Plenty of restaurants close by so don't have to rely on hotel restaurant for meals. Close to highways and easy to get to.

Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Richmond I 64 West End, responded to this review, October 31, 2013
Dear bk_essence ,

Krysllin G.
Case Manager
IHGCare
Williamsburg, Virginia
Reviewed September 9, 2013

Our room was dusty. One of us took a shower and it was short-lived. Yes.. mold. We all checked the dusty room for other problems and there were plenty: No vacuuming in corners, wallpaper peeling, etc. Very early the next morning, check out 8 different rooms: all had various stages of filth. A long talk with manager did not satisfy us. Room was refunded, but please, do not try this hotel. It needs more than just a new management team.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Tony A
holinn, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Richmond I 64 West End, responded to this review, September 11, 2013
Dear Guest Tony A,

We thank you for staying with us and it was unfortunate we were not able to reach the proper level of service that we promise our guest. We assure you based on face to face conversation that this is not our practice. And again thank you for staying with us and taking the time to give feedback

Marvin Hymes
mhymes@holidayinni64.com
Also consider these accommodations in or near Richmond
Courtyard Richmond West
Residence Inn Richmond West End
The Westin Richmond
The Westin Richmond
#3 of 81 in Richmond

Been to Holiday Inn Richmond I 64 West End? Share your experiences!