“The Staff was very caring.”

Holiday Inn Richmond I 64 West End
Ranked #47 of 82 Hotels in Richmond
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed July 8, 2013

We were unable to stay because after we entered our room, we found out that the handicap toilet did not fit my husband's needs. There was no railing around the toilet and the seat was too low. Also, the railing was in the back of the toilet which didn't allow him a way to pull up after using the toilet. Also, he needed a roll-in shower. I went back down to the front desk and spoke to the lady on duty. Her name was Dawn Scott and she was very polite and accommodating to me. She apologized profusely. At that time, she appeared to be very busy, being the on, only one on duty during the busiest part of the day. But that did not stop her from trying to help us with our situation. She got on the phone and called the Holiday Inn Express to see if they could accommodate my husband, even though she was very busy at that time. She found us a room their (Holiday Inn Express) and sent us on our way. After arriving at the Holiday Inn Express, and attempting to check in, we found that our credit card had already been charged at the previous Holiday Inn. Our card was denied and having no other means of paying. My son- in- law, who was with us at that time, paid for our rooms at that Holiday Inn. That clerk was not very receptive to our predicament. She practically shoved us aside, and which was embarrassing to us especially when there was a crowd standing around waiting to be served, thank God for my son- in-law or we really would have been in a fix. After, arriving to our room, I immediately got on the phone and called Dawn Scott who was the receptionist at the previous Holiday Inn. She was sorry to hear of our predicament and said she would do everything in her power to help us to get our money put back on our card. She explained to my husband what he needed to do. So we called our bank and was directed to the wrong department, who after we explained again what our situation was , we were finally directed to the correct department at our bank. After speaking with an employee at the bank, who then told us that we needed to do a three way call to the receptionist at the Holiday Inn. I phoned Dawn again, ( who had already stated that if we needed anymore help to call her), which, we did. At the time, dawn was not at the front desk, but, another employee was able to reach her. I told her what the bank had said and she said to call them back and she would get on the line with us while we called the bank. We called the bank, (getting the right department this time) and told them what our problem was, we were told what to do, which we did and they told Dawn to hang up, got her number and called her back to get the information they needed from the Hotel. Dawn went beyond the " call of duty" to help us. During the time she waited for the bank to call her back, she was off duty. I have never in all of my years staying at hotels, have I ever had any employee to care enough about us to go out of their way to help us. Dawn was very professional, courteous, polite, caring understanding, helpful, and lots of other words to describe what a wonderful and caring person she was.

If the other receptionist at the Holiday Inn Express had been as caring and understanding , we could have also gotten our
our problem resolved. Our money was refunded and thanks to Dawn Scott at the Holiday inn at 2000 Staples Mill Road in Richmond, VA, our vacation was very enjoyable. Dawn Scott should be rewarded for her caring and wonderful attitude.

Note: We are both senior citizens in our 70's and to us having someone who cares about the elderly and not just push them aside because you were too busy and when you found out their card was denied, that meant your job was done. That other receptionist could haven been a little more understanding. All she needed to do was get on the phone, call the other Holiday Inn, to see if anything could be done. I explained to her when we arrived that Dawn said she didn't think we would have a problem with our card. She told me that if Dawn told me that, then she was wrong.

We had saved up just to go on this trip only to have it turn out to be a nightmare. I will never ever forget what Dawn did to help us. Especially, when she was off duty. We were a long ways from home and if it weren't for Dawn, we had no idea what we would have done, especially, since all the money we had was "tied up", in our credit card.

• Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank JeanieLy
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Richmond I 64 West End, responded to this reviewResponded July 28, 2013

Dear JeanieLy,

We appreciate that you took the time to leave a detailed review of your stay with us. We value your comments, as they enable us to further improve our services and to surpass the very high standards our guests expect.

First and foremost, I am truly sorry to hear your troubles and how it negatively affected your visit. I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience you had with your reservation and the issues you had with your credit card. Despite your dissatisfaction, I am happy that your issues were resolved and pleased at how our staff diligently assisted you in rectifying these unsatisfactory circumstances.

We thank you for your valuable feedbak and the special mention you have made to a member of our team. Your comments will certainly be looked into and necessary actions will be taken. It is only with both positive and negative feedback that we can strive to improve our service to our guests and I do hope that this incident will not deter you from staying with us again.

Dhan M

There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn Richmond I 64 West End

Reviewed June 16, 2013

If you're looking for shady parking lot behavior and a card game in the lounge, this is the place. Unfortunately, I'm not. The staff was great - in fact, if I were rating the staff, this property would receive an excellent rating. However, upon checking in to my room I noticed the carpet had not been vacuumed. In fact, there were nail clippings on the carpet. As I was leaving for dinner, I asked the front desk clerk if he could have housekeeping "just vacuum it all up real quick". He said that he would get them right on it. When I returned, it hadn't been done. The next morning, I asked again - same reply. Got back from a work, and guess what? Nope - no vacuum (even though I left a note and a $5 bill on the TV stand - which was obviously taken). As I left for dinner that evening, I asked again. This time I was told, "if I can't get housekeeping, I will personally go do it". When I returned back, it hadn't been done. So.... the next morning I asked ONE MORE TIME. Not done again when I returned - so I just gave up.

Also, there are some shady things going down behind the hotel. I watched multiple cars pull up to one car, a lot of quick conversations before driving off, and some strange "crying / hugging episode". The lounge is weird - on one side there is a nice looking bar, and on the other side are some thugs playing cards who are locals.....?......

It's a shame, because I am a Sales Manager for a local company and am relocating to the area. I need a place to safely put up a lot of people multiple times per year, and I'm just not sure this place would make a good impression.... It's a shame because the staff seemed awesome... Not sure what the deal was.

Also, the hotel hallways were INCREDIBLY HOT. You'd walk outside your room and be drenched with sweat by the time you got downstairs. The pool looked okay, but there were always a group of middle-aged shady looking people hanging out by the pool - not a place to "send the kids".

Room Tip: Nowhere near the back unless you want a good view of shady stuff all night long.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Steve P
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Richmond I 64 West End, responded to this reviewResponded July 1, 2013

Dear Steve P,

Thank you for your recent stay with us and reviewing our property. Our staff always goes out of their way to be helpful and attentive to the guests and I am glad that you enjoyed their hospitality. Please accept our apologies for falling short of your expectations with the condition of our facilities. We have taken note of your valuable comments and will use these to monitor and improve the quality of services we offer to our guests.

Once again, thank you for your thoughtful comments. We look forward to the opportunity of serving you again in the future.

Karen C

Reviewed June 12, 2013

I was in Richmond with family for my son's High School graduation. My nerves were bad when I arrived but the staff calmed me down. The manager on duty that checked me in was Brandon Terry. He ensured me I would enjoy my stay and I did. The room was clean and fresh smelling. The graduation went great and I was happy. Upon my check out, I noticed I lost my wallet. I reported it to Brandon and the entire staff of the hotel went into action. Five minutes later, my wallet was recovered. To top it off Brandon took care of my breakfast for my family. The management and staff really showed me they cared. I would recommend this hotel to anyone and I would stay here anytime I have business here in Richmond, Va.

Room Tip: Odd floors have ice machines
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed June 12, 2013

I used priceline to purchase this hotel, so beggars can not be choosers. It worked for one night but will never stay here again.

Rooms - muggy, clean on the surface but dirty and not well kept when you look below the surface.

Parking - Limited close to hotel entrance but it worked for us.

Lobby - Quick and easy check-in the gentleman working the desk was friendly but not welcoming.

Restaurant - HORRENDOUS SERVICE! The bar was moderately busy and the bartender/waitress was noticeably absent. When we finally just went to the bar to order drinks, I inquired about a certain beer asking if it was an IPA. She said "NO" - it was an IPA. Asked for menu's which were provided. 30 minutes later she asked us "What do you want" - I stated my check and we left..

I would never stay at this property again. This Holiday Inn does not live up to its standards.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Wes F
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Richmond I 64 West End, responded to this reviewResponded June 26, 2013

Dear Wes F,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your stay. It is unfortunate the service received in the restaurant prevented you from fully enjoying your time at the hotel. We are confident the necessary adjustments will be made, in order to achieve complete guest satisfaction.

Ben J

Reviewed June 4, 2013

I was there about two weeks ago for a volleyball tournament and stayed here. Checking in the hotel a guy by the name Brandon Terry helped us. He was very nice and gave us advice about the attractions around the area. My room was very cozy and clean. Overall my experience will make me return to this location next year.

• Stayed: May 2013
Reviewed May 30, 2013

I arrived in Richmond by train over the weekend and had NO IDEA where anything was or how to get around...thank goodness for the staff at this hotel! Not only did Matthew pick me up from the train station, the staff was so informative and helpful, I had no problem finding anything. The hotel was nice as well, there was always someone there to answer any questions and help with any issues I had.

Room Tip: Higher floors are quieter
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed May 28, 2013

I stay here regularly and the hotel is great. the staff is top notch, especially Matthew. He really went out of his way to make my stay absolutely fantastic. The hotel was located in a great part of town and the bar stayed open as long as i wanted to drink. lol

• Stayed: May 2013
Also consider these accommodations in or near Richmond
Candlewood Suites Richmond - West Broad
Courtyard Richmond West
Courtyard Richmond West
#23 of 82 in Richmond
Hampton Inn & Suites Richmond/Glenside
Clarion Hotel Richmond Central
Embassy Suites by Hilton Richmond
Holiday Inn Express Downtown Richmond

Been to Holiday Inn Richmond I 64 West End? Share your experiences!