“Simple”

Holiday Inn Richmond I 64 West End
Ranked #46 of 82 Hotels in Richmond
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed November 1, 2011

The hotel may not be rated a five star but the employees deserve the rating. The women we dealt with were courteous, kind and above all else, attentive to our needs. The linens were crisp and the bed was comfortable. For the price we paid, I could not bring myself to find an issue to complain about.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family

Reviewed September 13, 2011

I stayed at the Holiday Inn, Richmond for 5 straight days in August 2011. My reasons for choosing this hotel was that it was bang opposite the place I had business at and they were offering me a corporate discount. I guess the one thing I would recommend is checking for corporate discounts & also getting on their priority club member list. I just had to give a few simple details at the front desk and I was on it. And thanks to being on that list I had free wireless, free express breakfast and 20% off my dinner throughout my stay. The staff at the friend desk was very friendly and also arranged for pick up from the amtrak station. So I was feeling kind of pleased until I walked into the room. It's a pretty standard room - a bed, a little office table and sofa. Everything looked clean but was very utilitarian - not the plush hotel feel. You definitely need to have low expectations and then you can avoid disappointment. The bathroom was again very tired looking and oh there was a sticky spot on the carpet in the bedroom that I had to tiptoe around. Food is okay at that place and there are a few fast food restaurants nearby. I ordered Chinese food 1 day and had it delivered right to my room. Staff were very nice to arrange a drop to the station late in the evening even though I had checked out by 11am that day. So overall, nice people, good intentions - just need to remind yourself you are checking into a Holiday Inn not a Hilton ;)

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed September 12, 2011

I was pleased with the aesthetic of the hotel and the conveniences found in the guest room, but the service leaves a lot to be desired.
I didn't have too many issues with housekeeping - just a few hairs in the shower. My co-worker had to change rooms twice, however, due to maintenance and cleanliness issues. The service in the bar/restaurant was horrible, to the point where I actually needed to ask if I needed to pay for the buffet meal I just had. They didn't seem interested in introducing any servers to the table, let alone presenting a bill. The front desk service was fair as far as speed and accuracy, but they clearly wanted to be anywhere but there.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank Chris B
Reviewed July 27, 2011

My wife and I stayed at this property for 3 days in June 2011 when we traveled to Richmond to see our older daughter. It is easy to get to from I-64 and anyone travelling I-95 but not from the area (more on that later) will find this convenient. The building itself is older but the rooms are large and the building services were average.

What we found particularly appealing were the front desk staff. They were very helpful and pleasant to talk too any time of the day or night. This goes a long way when you need some support at 11pm.

Although the restaurant was very nice the breakfast was not included and was more pricey than I would have imagined at ~15/person all in. There are so many options in the area that this is not an issue though.

Because the property is right off Broad at Staples Mill, it is basically one road to get downtown, the museums, Shockoe Bottom, Main or Carey St. These are the places you will likely want to spend time if you're there for pleasure. It was less than 4 miles to just about anything we wanted to see. (now back to my comment above) ... For whatever reason, the locals we met in Richmond, mostly my daughters friends, thought that driving 4-5 miles was "far". They kept encouraging us to stay downtown.

Since we were coming from 360 miles away, the 4 miles we commuted to see them was certainly worth the plentiful parking, ease of access, and convenience to a plethora of local establishments.

Bottom line -- It's an average building with above average people in an area that's convenient for travelers.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the top two floors as it gets you above the surrounding buildings and the automoti...
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 14, 2011

Our family was coming back from SC and needed a hotel halfway through. Got this so called 3 Star hotel via hotwire, but after booking and learning of our location- I read the prior reviews and was hoping they were wrong.
They were not. Friendly staff however the hotel was filthy, from the dusty AC units to the ripped room chair and carpeting. They did cosmetic renovations with the beds, sink and furniture, but the carpet, bathroom tub/fixtures, floor were from 20 years ago.
The elevator is very tired, dirty and worn...scary.
The outside was packed (100) with people smoking and drinking, and upon asking the staff what was happening- they have Poker Nights Thursday and Sunday nights, not my type of crowd.

Room Tip: Ask to for another hotel
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Walter B
Reviewed May 21, 2011

I am a Platinum Priority Club member so I stay about 90 days a year in Holiday Inn/Exprsses, Crowne Plazas, Intercontinentals. This is the worst Holiday Inn I have ever seen. I was upgraded to a suite, in which I was pleased. Although, the AC unit sounded like a jet taking off in my room. All the furniture had tears, I actually had better furniture in my frat house days. Also, none of the phones in the room worked and when you took a shower you felt like you were filling a bath, as I was done the water was past my ankles. The final shot---THE BED. This is the worst bed I have ever slept in, and I have stayed my share of nights in your budget hotels (i.e. Super 8's, Motel 6's). At one point my wife elected to spend the rest of the night on the pull out sofa. DO NOT STAY HERE FOR ANY REASON.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 30, 2011

We had a very pleasant stay. I have to say that was the best restful sleep I have had in over 6 months. Nice and very friendly helpfull staff. My over 2 night stay was a great experience.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Richmond
Courtyard Richmond West
Quality Inn West End
Quality Inn West End
#43 of 82 in Richmond
Holiday Inn Express Richmond I-64 Short Pump Area

Been to Holiday Inn Richmond I 64 West End? Share your experiences!